Quantcast

Job interviews...a new experience

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So for the first time ever today, I will be conducting job interviews. And I'm flying solo. Our GM was going to sit in but now he won't be in the office today.

I'm considering not wearing pants to see if it trips them up....

Any advice?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Ask questions that have nothing to do with the job like:

If your boss got kicked out of his house by his wife would you let him sleep at your house for a few days?

Tell me about your relationship with your dog?

If a matchstick were in a an empty bottle how would you remove it with touching the bottle?

Explain the relevance of quantum entanglement to the design of women's wear?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Don't say a word. Just read their resume then look at them for about 5 minutes. Then say thanks for coming in, we'll let you know. As soon as they walk out burst into hysterical laughter.

Pick a name from a hat to move up the line.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Be sure to ask questions that have no bearing on the work they will actually be doing.
Yeah, like those dumb ass personality questions that HR asks. If you can't get a feel for their personality via work related questions, you shouldn't be doing interviews.

I've done a little bit of interviewing...maybe a few dozen people. Doing prep work ahead of time makes the interviews easier. Look at the candidate's resume before the interview and put together some questions about their work history, as well the job you're hiring for. Type them up and leave room to make comments. You'll feel like a moron if your mind goes blank 10 minutes into the interview and you can't think of anything to ask. Ask real questions, not the lame canned questions that HR asks every candidate.

Oh, and pick your nose right before shaking their hand. If they shake it, you know they're a team player.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Don't forget to ask a bunch of illegal questions, like: if you had a choice between being pregnant and keeping your job, which one would you choose? Which one do you think I would choose for you?!?!?!

G

glennder

Make them feel important.

Ask them how they are going to make a difference in the world? like a beauty contest.

Then make them wear a bikini.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Yeah, like those dumb ass personality questions that HR asks.
I think I am going to start refusing to answer those kinds of questions. Just kind of stare at the interviewer until they decide to move on. The last two interviews I've gone to, those questions were never asked and the interviews were so nice.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hand them a Rubiks cube, stare at them for 10 seconds, stand and then say:

"Dont...disappoint me."

Then leave the room and never come back.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
On a serious note ask them if they have ever received constructive criticism at previous jobs and explain what kind. If they can't do that then go to the above suggestions.

I have another interview in 30min - always interesting to see who walks trough the door.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
As soon as they come in shake your head and mutter "Where do they find these bozos?".....drum your pen on the desk without saying anything for a full 2 minutes, then say "when can you start.....hahaha only joking" and take it from there. Be good cop and bad cop, preferably within the same question.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I had an interview with a small college in Utah a few months ago and I kid you not, one of the interviewers started talking in his best "I'm a fanatic lunatic" voice about how he always carried a loaded .45 on his front seat just in case he was robbed. How this came up during the course of the interview I will never know. I politely declined their offer to fly me out for an on-site interview (despite their proximity to Moab, it was that scary.) Mmike, you got any guns?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
there are always questions like:
what color is a brown dog?
if you could save 400 people by killing one, would you?
pert, flat, or bouncy?
what Is the biggest mistake you've ever made?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok seriously a few things:

Make a list of questions and ask every candidate the same questions.

Describe the opportunity
Ask how they think their experience will benefit the opportunity
Ask what their expectations are of the opportunity and beyond.

My favorite is to ask them to descirbe their biggest failure.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
1) What do you like to do?
2) What made you get into design?
3) What are your strong points?
4) What is day composed of now?
5) Can you gently say no?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ask questions that have nothing to do with the job like:

If your boss got kicked out of his house by his wife would you let him sleep at your house for a few days?

Tell me about your relationship with your dog?

If a matchstick were in a an empty bottle how would you remove it with touching the bottle?

Explain the relevance of quantum entanglement to the design of women's wear?
You stole those from the "Microsoft Book of Silly Interview Questions", didn't you?

I swear I was asked at least 2 of those.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
You stole those from the "Microsoft Book of Silly Interview Questions", didn't you?

I swear I was asked at least 2 of those.
no, but I'm not surprised. One is a Buddhist koan, two and three I've been asked, four is designed to make an engineer laugh if he's smart and has a sense of humor.