Quantcast

Julie rotor help

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So my kid has this bitching little Cannondale with these annoying Julie brakes w/4 bolt rotors...but they squeal like a pig. They are straight (fairly...) and relatively clean...but need replacing methinks. You cannot get them for love or money anywhere these days. Anyone have a substitute that wont cost me a kidney or a solution to get another couple years out of these?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Squealing is either contamination or a problem with the mounting hardware.

Replace the pads. Remove clean and re-install the rotors and calipers. If it doesn't help, get the lad a tennis racquet.

Otherwise, JBP has an extra set of XT brakes fur cheap. :D

Squealing is either contamination or a problem with the mounting hardware.

Replace the pads. Remove clean and re-install the rotors and calipers. If it doesn't help, get the lad a tennis racquet.

Otherwise, JBP has an extra set of XT brakes fur cheap. :D
The XT brakes are compatible with the brakes that'll be on the Tracer... :D

I had Julies on one of my bikes. They were a total pain in the ass to maintain.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have found that light weight machine oil works best.
That will not last as long. He could put a pinhole in the brake line so it squirts oil onto the rotor every time the lever is pulled.

I see some of you are still fuzzy on the meaning of the term "help." :)
Both these solutions match your criteria of: "Anyone have a substitute that wont cost me a kidney or a solution to get another couple years out of these?"

Ungrateful racist bastard

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
That will not last as long. He could put a pinhole in the brake line so it squirts oil onto the rotor every time the lever is pulled.

Both these solutions match your criteria of: "Anyone have a substitute that wont cost me a kidney or a solution to get another couple years out of these?"

Hey, I used a smiley...

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Take the rotors off, scuff the brake-track with a couple grits of sandpaper. Like wood, put a finish on it and try to re-bed a set of pads.
Or soak them in oil overnight and remove the brake levers.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass

The way to use the machine oil, is to soak the rotor in oil for a couple of days, or to pressure inject the oil into the rotors. He did not include the ability to degrade speed in the criteria.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The way to use the machine oil, is to soak the rotor in oil for a couple of days, or to pressure inject the oil into the rotors. He did not include the ability to degrade speed in the criteria.
The rotors are solid, they will not absorb any oil. The pads on the other hand, will.