Quantcast

keep getting flats

RaleighM80

Chimp
May 16, 2004
Georgia
i just bought a Raleigh M80 and i have had it a week and have had both front and rear tires go flat:(.On the front tire that just went flat i looked at tube and hole was on the inside of tube.Any ideas?The recommended inflation is 35-60psi and my buddy said to always keep 60 psi in tires at all time

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
What do you mean by the hole was on the inside of the tube? :confused:

If there are two holes close to eachother that looks like a snakebite, you pinch flatted. You hit somthing to hard, a curb, steps, rocks, etc. That can be solved by higher air pressure. Also, a lot of people put baby powder between the tire and tube.

If it is a puncture flat, check the inside of your tire for anything that may be sticking into your tube.

Just remember, depending on the type of riding you do, air pressure is a fine balance. Higher pressure = less pinch flats, and less traction in the woods. too high of pressure will just blow your tube. too low pressure will give you more traction, but a much higher incedence of pinch flats

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by RaleighM80
i just bought a Raleigh M80 and i have had it a week and have had both front and rear tires go flat:(.On the front tire that just went flat i looked at tube and hole was on the inside of tube.Any ideas?The recommended inflation is 35-60psi and my buddy said to always keep 60 psi in tires at all time
unless you weight a tremendous amount, i wouldn't ride 60 psi! :eek: i run just under 30 in my 2.5" tires, and about 35 in the 2.3"s on my trailbike. if you're running 1.9" or 2.1" tires maybe go up to 40psi...

to expand on what bigmike said, check your rimstrip to make sure that the spokes aren't poking through. or bring your bike into the bike shop, explain what's happening and have them check it out.

RaleighM80

Chimp
May 16, 2004
Georgia
The hole was on the side of tube that goes against the rim,not the tire was what i meant by inside.Im 198lbs. The bike store were i bought my bike said to keep it at 60 psi at all times or it would not be good for my rims.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Im 198lbs. The bike store were i bought my bike said to keep it at 60 psi at all times or it would not be good for my rims.
If you are 198 and riding off road you may want to run your tires as high as 45 pounds until you learn to become smooth. If you are out there just plowing through rocks and roots you're gonna get flats more often.

Don't listen to the shop - sounds like they don't know a damn thing about off road riding.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Tubes go flat. They get punctured and lose air. Its just a fact of riding. You may be riding in an area that has a lot of thorns or glass laying around. I don't know. Take you tires off and check the inside of your tires just to make sure that there's nothing in there that is puncturing the tubes. Sometimes thorns will work their way through your tire and you won't be able to see them from the outside, but if you run your fingers along the inside of the tire, you can feel them. Then, always make sure to bring an extra tube, a pump and a patch kit when you ride.

And I agree with the others that 60 psi is too high. Drop your pressure down to 35-40 psi. That's high enough that pinch flats shouldn't be a concern and low enough to provide you with decent traction.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Originally posted by pixelninja
And I agree with the others that 60 psi is too high. Drop your pressure down to 35-40 psi. That's high enough that pinch flats shouldn't be a concern and low enough to provide you with decent traction.
That is a little low if you weigh 200lbs. 42-45 should keep pinch flats to a minimum if you ride rocky stuff. You aren't just going to be able to bomb through rock/root gardens. Learn to pick a line.

Do check the rim strip because if any part of one of the holes is exposed you will get flats esp. with higher pressures. If you have some electrical tape do a couple wraps to see if it that stops the flats.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The hole was on the side of tube that goes against the rim,not the tire was what i meant by inside.Im 198lbs. The bike store were i bought my bike said to keep it at 60 psi at all times or it would not be good for my rims.
Bad bikey advice - find a new bike shop ASAP. :)

RaleighM80

Chimp
May 16, 2004
Georgia
ok thnx for all the input,im going to go down to 50 psi,then try 45.We have alot of hard clay around were i live and riding at 60 is like riding on ice.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
take the rim strips off the wheels and check each and every spoke head and the hole where the nipple goes through the rim, make sure there isn't anything rough or sharp or pointed or jagged that could poke a hole in the tube, if there is sand or file it down. Otherwise just keep some patches and tire levers on hand when you ride. Flats are just part of life for most bikers, even more so if you ride in thorny deserts.

fldunit

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
DO the rimstrip thing ASAP as kornphlake said...this is just a little new bike deal (don't want to slam your ride). Probably got assembled a little too quick and the original rimstrip failed to cover a rough spot around a spoke hole...typical. And the 60 psi pressure would only apply if the tire was designed for asphault, some are even higher. Most dirt specific tires run 35-50 depending on construction, voluume and desired ride. Most longtime riders still use the squish test (tire too soft, put air in. Tire too hard, let air out) and forget about the gauges.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Do you use tools to put on the tire after you changed/repaired the tube?

That's where many odd flats comes from :/

And.. then do what the other people said..

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Run mt. bike tires at a max of 50 p.s.i.
i run from 30 to 45 myself, depending on what i'm riding...

When you replace your tubes make sure you barely inflate the tube, then massage the bead making sure the tube doesn't get stuck in the bead before pumping it all the way up.

You might want to go to a thicker tube.

Sounds like your problem is solved with running lower psi.

If you have issues with getting flats from terrain with thorns, glass, and such you may want to consider these.

http://www.warwickmills.com/01spinskins.html

RaleighM80

Chimp
May 16, 2004
Georgia
It was because of all the thorns and stuff,i have went with a thorn resistant tube and havent had any more problems with flats:).Thanks to all that replied.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
It was because of all the thorns and stuff,i have went with a thorn resistant tube and havent had any more problems with flats:).Thanks to all that replied.
excellent, if the heavy "thorn resistant" tubes fail you, be sure to seriously consider the Spinskins, they really work great.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Weird. I run 50 PSI in my 2.1 FireXCs, I like my drift for racing. I never pinch flat, but I do tend to get punctures on the river trails near my house.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
RaleighM80 said:
Since thorns are a problem in your area, the next time you do get a flat (yes, it'll happen sooner or later), when changing the tube, run your fingers around the inside of the tire before putting in the new tube. A lot of times, thorns can break off and you won't see them from the outside of the tire, but will still be sticking through the inside and can cause recurring flats.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
30 is still high for me... I ran like 19 at big bear and didn't flat until like my 10th run. I'm not a smoth rider either. Maybe you're running lightweight tubes? If you're flatting so often try some DH tubes.