Quantcast

keeping sweat out of your eyes

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I sweat bad, I mean really bad. I wear sunglasses to keep crap out of my eyes, but on descents the sweat runs down the inside of the lenses, pools along the bottom edge, then gets blown into my eyes.

Once it reaches the frames of my sunglesses it's too late. Do any of you wear headbands or anything like that? I've seen skull caps from Under Armor... I wonder if something like that is worth trying.

Any suggestions?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
my husband sweats ALOT. he wears a headband. you cant even see it under a helmet.

i think a retro 80's sweatband looks is cooler looking then wearing a skull cap.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
jacksonpt said:
I sweat bad, I mean really bad. I wear sunglasses to keep crap out of my eyes, but on descents the sweat runs down the inside of the lenses, pools along the bottom edge, then gets blown into my eyes.

Once it reaches the frames of my sunglesses it's too late. Do any of you wear headbands or anything like that? I've seen skull caps from Under Armor... I wonder if something like that is worth trying.

Any suggestions?
I had the same problem. I picked up a thin polyester\spandex blend headband (found it in the tennis aisle at Sports Authority) that fits nicely under my helmet and has fixed the issue completely. Skull caps will make you overheat in the summer.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
Having your eyes too close together is cool?
:rofl:

I use a skull cap. Not only does it keep my head cool in summer, warm in winter and drier all around, it also keeps the bugs out of my hair which would distract me. Plus, with a receeding hair line, it helps prevent odd suntannnig :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LordOpie said:
:rofl:

I use a skull cap. Not only does it keep my head cool in summer, warm in winter and drier all around, it also keeps the bugs out of my hair which would distract me. Plus, with a receeding hair line, it helps prevent odd suntannnig :D
dude....'odd suntanning' via helmet vents is WAY past a receding hairline. :D

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
There is a product known as a sweat gutter. It was at Sea Otter this year. I picked up a sample, but it is dorky as hell so I can't bring myself to wearing it.

I just dehydrate myself on purpose and it keeps the sweat out my eyes. The cramps kind of suck though.

The Ito

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Unless you're rollin on dub deuces forget the do-rag. rock the old school sweat band. preferably like the one narlus posted. anything a tennis pro wears, you should too.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks all. I like the idea of a skull cap because it seems more likely to stay in place. But the headband thing is cheaper/easier to find. I'm going to head down to the sporting goods place today and see what they've got.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Heidi said:
I use a Halo headband. I've been using them FOREVER and they work great.

I got one too per Heidi's recomendation some three years ago (thank you ridemonkey once again) and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!. I even wear it when I run sometimes (it has to be really hot because I look a little flashdance-esque.) But with my helmet on its invisible.

laura said:
I got one too per Heidi's recomendation some three years ago (thank you ridemonkey once again) and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!. I even wear it when I run sometimes (it has to be really hot because I look a little flashdance-esque.) But with my helmet on its invisible.
I also got the Halo per Heidi. It works - but it's a LITTLE tight (I guess I have a big head) and by the end of the right it makes my head hurt.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the little foam strip on my Evil Eye Pros did a good job of preventing sweat from getting into my eyes. i was quite impressed.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Am I the only person on earth who still uses a cotton cycling cap for %90 of my rides? I have one in my pocket at all times. Rain and sun protection from the brim, keeps sweat out of the eyes, etc... If it is really hot out I just cut the top off so there is more ventillation.

Even if you chose to wear a helmet you can fit a cap by loosening your retention system slightly. The slow disappearance of heavy steel frames, real leather chamois, frame pumps and cycling caps makes me cry on the inside. Some things just work so well that it sucks to see fashion push them out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SuspectDevice said:
Am I the only person on earth who still uses a cotton cycling cap for %90 of my rides? I have one in my pocket at all times. Rain and sun protection from the brim, keeps sweat out of the eyes, etc... If it is really hot out I just cut the top off so there is more ventillation.

Even if you chose to wear a helmet you can fit a cap by loosening your retention system slightly. The slow disappearance of heavy steel frames, real leather chamois, frame pumps and cycling caps makes me cry on the inside. Some things just work so well that it sucks to see fashion push them out.
I think this guy killed it for cycling caps:

As a member of the 80's road team, I had all those things, and frankly, I prefer modern innovations, like lighter frames, chamois you can wash in a machine, pumps which did not break like Silca.

But my problem with cycling caps? I have too big of melon to fit them...

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I just started wearing a do-rag. I have one by Headsweats and one I got from Nashbar. Since I sweat surfing the internet, these have been a good idea for me. I rode today with my do-rag on and when we finished the ride, I wrung it out and many drops of sweat dripped onto the tarmac. I had no problem with sweat in my eyes like I usually do.

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
Well, I am a sweaty dude, and new to road riding. After reading through this thread, I went down to my LBS and grabbed a Halo Headband. That thing is sweet! A little pricey, but I think I is worth it!

Thanks for the info!

Chris C