Quantcast

Kelly McGarry ???

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Shit. That sucks no matter who it was.

*edit* Just saw it confirmed by mates from Queenstown. That sucks massively.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Sucks large.
One of my favorite riders.
Small consolation, but it looks like he went out on the bike - doing what he did best - ride.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That's horrible :/ Didn't know the guy but he came across as extremely genuine and friendly. RIP.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
After reading this news this morning I realize I've known Kelly for over a decade.....larger than life, and a heart to match it....I'm crushed for all my friends in QT who are all super tight, horrible monday morning news to wake up to

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fairly sure my wife and I bumped into him while riding in Queenstown a couple of years ago, sucks.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
What I hoped wouldn't happen unfortunately will. His death will make him more popular than his riding did. To be honest, I didn't know much about him except for his crashes that made him famous (redbull china when his brakes failed and rampage when he flattened his wheels). Now that he has passed, I see post on spacebook from every rider and every bike mag/riding website. His death will be more glorified that the man himself.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I'm confused. Should people not mourn his death because he wasn't as good of a rider as you thought he should be. Seems to me that he was a pretty fucking rad, genuine, super friendly, inspirational guy. All better qualities than a great rider in my opinion. Which, from the videos I saw, he was a phenomenal rider.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What I hoped wouldn't happen unfortunately will. His death will make him more popular than his riding did. To be honest, I didn't know much about him except for his crashes that made him famous (redbull china when his brakes failed and rampage when he flattened his wheels). Now that he has passed, I see post on spacebook from every rider and every bike mag/riding website. His death will be more glorified that the man himself.
Uh.......no.

The reason "the press" is on it is because that guy was fucking awesome and everyone is bummed. Because literally everyone who ever met the guy liked him....... The fame from being a real human being in person is making the coverage, not the other way around.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
McGarry might not have had the sheer amount of edits as say Semenuk or Rheeder, but his flip on the canyon gap (which he landed clean, then got viewers choice and 2nd place) at Rampage was seen by millions, shown on local news etc worldwide.

Dude was a fucking rockstar who progressed the sport as an athlete, course builder and by his sheer presence. RIP

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Man what sh1tty news. That Rampage helmetcam run of his will go down in history as one of the most awesome mtb videos ever. I'd rather watch that than most of the manicured over-produced perfection we see these days. Classic that you can hear him humming along to some metal soundtrack in the beginning. Everything I heard about him is in agreement with that posted above, just a super cool dude with a great vibe who did a lot for the sport. Really sucks to hear this. RIP.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I knew what I said would be taken the wrong way. Oh well.
Believe it or not, I'm on the same page as you guys are about his death.
The guy was an awesome rider and his personality and kindness seem rad (from what I've read). But that's my point. Myself and others never really heard of him except once a year at the Rampage. He, nor his riding was never hilighted like Seminuk or Bearclaw was, but could/should have been. I've never seen him in any videos or magazine articles. I know the name, smile and the hair, but the press never talked about him much until yesterday. Now it seems everybody has something to write about him. And along with his death, that's what's unfortunate.

Ie. It was his unfortunate death that made writers "pick up their pen", not his raw talent... And it's that talent that he should be remembered for.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I knew what I said would be taken the wrong way. Oh well.
Believe it or not, I'm on the same page as you guys are about his death.
The guy was an awesome rider and his personality and kindness seem rad (from what I've read). But that's my point. Myself and others never really heard of him except once a year at the Rampage. He, nor his riding was never hilighted like Seminuk or Bearclaw was, but could/should have been. I've never seen him in any videos or magazine articles. I know the name, smile and the hair, but the press never talked about him much until yesterday. Now it seems everybody has something to write about him. And along with his death, that's what's unfortunate.
try this new online thing, you could learn something

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/76467759/kiwi-mountain-biker-kelly-mcgarry-dies-after-collapsing-on-queenstown-bike-trail

Even if you are crazy fit, the reality is the human body wasn't designed/adapted for high heart rate endurance activities, and if you have any mitigating factors (many you may not know about) you could be at risk.
I guess that is what is just terrifying, I am sure Kelly wasn't trying for an uphill KOM here...Basically we all put ourselves at this kind of risk every day. And not just our sport, ppl all over the world peg their heart rates all the time in tons of disciplines.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Hm, donno if I agree with the human body not being designed and adapted for endurance. And particularly a young and extremely fit dude such as McGarry, dude had to have a precondition I would think.

Anyway, horrible news, rode a lift with him at whistler once and he was nothing but smiles and excitement, one of those people who's happiness and excitement for riding bikes is infectious. He made the sport better, achievements in it aside.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I guess that is what is just terrifying, I am sure Kelly wasn't trying for an uphill KOM here...Basically we all put ourselves at this kind of risk every day. And not just our sport, ppl all over the world peg their heart rates all the time in tons of disciplines.
It gives me pause as well. I got pegged with mildly high cholesterol and heart pressure a few years ago that woke me up a bit. Thankfully increasing the exercise frequency seemed to clear it up (5 days a week at 30 minutes a day is better then a single 3 hour ride on the weekend, even though the overall work is less; keep the 3 hour ride as well and you're good). I blame it all on having kids.

I've wondered before if I'd realize I was having a heart attack.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Hm, donno if I agree with the human body not being designed and adapted for endurance. And particularly a young and extremely fit dude such as McGarry, dude had to have a precondition I would think.

Anyway, horrible news, rode a lift with him at whistler once and he was nothing but smiles and excitement, one of those people who's happiness and excitement for riding bikes is infectious. He made the sport better, achievements in it aside.
I specifically said "high heart rate endurance". We are definitely not.