Quantcast

KHE MTB Freecoaster

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
For those of you interested in the .KHE MTB Freecoaster
The hub is a 135mm spacing, disc freecoaster.
At present 9 or 11 tooth drivers are available.
it features the EAS axel system, which is studded and is available in 10mm, we may be able to offer 14mm shortly.
32 or 36 Hole

i have mine on preorder:pirate2:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I heard about this last weekend, totally forgot to look it up. Very, very nice!! What's the price running on it BCD?

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
does it ride like crap like most freecoasters? no offense if youre involved in the production or anything, but all the bmx freecoasters ive ridden (only 2 truthfully) felt like they only engaged forward pedaling every 90 degrees. the guys whose bikes they were didnt seem to notice, but being used to a normal hub i destroyed my knees on the stem since every time you try to pedal theres no resistance for a quarter of a pedal stroke. not sure if thats just how they work or if the ones i was riding were totally cashed out, but if thatshow they operate then the ability to coast backwards isnt worth the craptastic performance going forwardws.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
khe has the hot **** out right now with the hubs, lite street tire and soon to come lite dirt tires. saw these on their site.
http://www.khebikes.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=226&Itemid=47

look good but not too much info. khe 2pc crank, lighter than fly and odyssey wombolt.
for .1 lb, im sure the stiffness compared to the 22mm Flybikes cranks is embarrasing.

and im not quite sure how the dirt tire is lighter than my khe premium street tire?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
meh after talking with all the local bmx pros back home and here, freecoasters currently suck ass. everything but the giesha is garbage and even it has its fair share of problems. loud noises, weird creaks, engaging while freeocasting etc etc. id love one but only if it were free

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Freecoasters sound poopy. I thought that by now they'd be pretty well solid but I guess not.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
does it ride like crap like most freecoasters? no offense if youre involved in the production or anything, but all the bmx freecoasters ive ridden (only 2 truthfully) felt like they only engaged forward pedaling every 90 degrees. the guys whose bikes they were didnt seem to notice, but being used to a normal hub i destroyed my knees on the stem since every time you try to pedal theres no resistance for a quarter of a pedal stroke. not sure if thats just how they work or if the ones i was riding were totally cashed out, but if thatshow they operate then the ability to coast backwards isnt worth the craptastic performance going forwardws.
The engagement point is adjustable, but it's the same backwards and forwards (if you pedal far enough going backwards it'll engage). People set theirs up loose to ensure they don't engage by accident. I've ridden the BMX geisha and it's solid. They just revamped a coule of the smaller hardware bits to make it even stronger. I'd consider one of those if I hadn't just bought one of these:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
That's not a freecoaster, this is a freecoaster:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACS-Freecoaster-kit-NEW-IN-PKG-coaster-to-freewheel_W0QQitemZ290090551096QQcmdZViewItem

Back in the day we ran coaster brakes and we liked 'em for some stuff, but not for other stuff. This little kit allowed you to switch off the coaster brake, and the benefit was that your cranks didn't spin backwards even when you were in freewheel mode.
Remember the spin of of that kit the Free Trek hub ?
This allowed you to switch from freewheel to being able to epdal backwards like a fixed gear ??
I alwasy wanted one of thoes things !!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Remember the spin of of that kit the Free Trek hub ?
This allowed you to switch from freewheel to being able to epdal backwards like a fixed gear ??
I alwasy wanted one of thoes things !!

Oh man, yes I do. I think Pat Romano was the only dude that ever used one...

:biggrin:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i got my in today and built it up quick snap and off to the park.

it is a whole new kind of fun. something new to learn. i had

about reached my limit of safe tricks, this now open a whole

new bag w/o getting inverted! i'll get some video thursday.

did some back and forth in the 1/4 bowls and am trying some

hips too.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Does it make riding backwards easier? It seems like it'd be really fun in a mini, I wouldn't mind trying one out.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Does it make riding backwards easier? It seems like it'd be really fun in a mini, I wouldn't mind trying one out.
its just different. still hard but when you try and hop or spin its easier not having to keep backpedaling. i need to adj the catch washers, its
a little tight right now.

it also a a loud pop when you stopped pedaling, seems fine now
totally silent.

niguet

Monkey
Sep 11, 2005
i just bought mine, as i live in chile the hub will be in my hands by next monday, so i must be patient:disgust:

niguet

Monkey
Sep 11, 2005
its just different. still hard but when you try and hop or spin its easier not having to keep backpedaling. i need to adj the catch washers, its
a little tight right now.

it also a a loud pop when you stopped pedaling, seems fine now
totally silent.
Have you tried fakie manual?, the hub goes instantly to "freecoaster mode" when you do a fakie or you must to a little backpedaling?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Have you tried fakie manual?, the hub goes instantly to "freecoaster mode" when you do a fakie or you must to a little backpedaling?
when you stop pedaling it goes to freecoaster.

caught me off guard once in an abubica when i went to pedal pressure.

if you are cruzing backwards and pedal forward it engadges, but the

amout it takes to have 3 adjustments.

have a look here http://www.free-coaster.com/html/geisha_maintenance_2.html

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
im super stoked right now on the khe reverse freecoaster. 14mm hollow thru axle instead of axle studs. may get one for the fall guy, i dont know though. you likin the way yours felt alex?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
im super stoked right now on the khe reverse freecoaster. 14mm hollow thru axle instead of axle studs. may get one for the fall guy, i dont know though. you likin the way yours felt alex?
yeah, its fun for sure.

mine has 14mm bolt on, i took the 10mm ones off.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
this is crazy man. I've been watching that hub for awhile but never ridden one yet. Saw another dude on a different board mounted one up recently too...

kezajones

Chimp
May 19, 2007
i fitted mine today and the engagment is sweet as, there is a funny clicking noise every now and again but i put it down to the fact that my chain is a little on the tight side,

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm lost on how these things work. can you roll backwards freely, and then when torque is put on it, it catches again?

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
i'm lost on how these things work. can you roll backwards freely, and then when torque is put on it, it catches again?
It will engage, but only after the slack is pedaled out, meaning when you first begin to pedal after coasting there is nothing until the internals engage. If that makes sense. There is a thread in the hub that pushes the "internals" into the cog side. Sounds odd, but they feel pretty odd too.