Quantcast

kick ass pork roast recipe

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
seriously, if you only have ONE cookbook, get mark bittman's _how to cook everything_. yeah, it's a bit of a lofty title but the book is solid. anyway, here's a tried-and-true recipe from it, one i've done many times and just did again last night.

puerto rican pork shoulder

take a medium onion, 2 tbps fresh oregano, 4 cloves garlic, 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, 1 tbsp salt, and chop in a food processor. drizzle peanut oil (~2 tbps or so), until you get a good paste going. scrape the sides as necessary. add in 2 tbsp of cider vinegar, and mix well.

trim fat and skin from the pork shoulder (it should be around 5-7 lbs, bone-in). take the paste and rub it all over the pork, into the nooks and crannies too. let sit in the fridge overnight (hint - cover it in some sorta bag unless you want yr fridge to smell like an onion).

roast the pork at 350F, turning every 30 min or so and baste w/ the juices. cook for about 3 hrs.

this tastes so good you won't believe it. esp the crusty bits. :dancing:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i'll post the recipe for puerco pebile tonight when i get home. You want the best posr roast you have ever tasted, pebil is it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i have that cook book, how to cook everything. it is fantastic. its like an encyclopedia of cooking information. haven't tried the pork recipe, but every single recipe i have tried has been easy/ or easily explained, and extremely tasty. it is my favorite cookbook.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
two great things about this recipe...one is that there are tons of leftovers, for cuban-style pork sandwiches. :drool:

the other is that the meat is so damn cheap; about a dollar a pound.