Quantcast

Kids gear

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.

Brought my daughter for her first Mountain Bike Ride yesterday. She loved it..... She's 7 going on 8yrs old and did amazing. I dont' have glasses that fit her nor do I have knee pads that will fit her. Any suggestions on places to get this stuff?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The little girl up the street was asking why Lil Man didn't have knee pads or elbow pads. :rofl:

But seriously, I think Fox makes kit sized gear that doesn't suck.

The rest are more skate/bmx that wouldn't be much help in the woods.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The little girl up the street was asking why Lil Man didn't have knee pads or elbow pads. :rofl:

But seriously, I think Fox makes kit sized gear that doesn't suck.

The rest are more skate/bmx that wouldn't be much help in the woods.

Thanks, I was trying to avoid the skater/bmx style. Thanks for the suggestion, I was even thinking the soft soccer style knee pads would be fine and give her the range of motion.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I agree, she took a mediocre fall on loose rocks yesterday and kept going. I'd like to make sure she can keep riding and not hate it though.
She's gonna love/hate it regardless of knee pads. Just keep at it.

Thanks, I was trying to avoid the skater/bmx style. Thanks for the suggestion, I was even thinking the soft soccer style knee pads would be fine and give her the range of motion.
Soccer knee pads? :think:

Oh - and welcome back! Tell that kid that scars are cool. :thumb:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Lil Man got a nice road rash on his elbow on the new bike. It's going to be tough to wait until next weekend to see him ride again. I will be dragging him o the track as soon as he can pedal. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got road rash on both my elbows falling out of a hammock yesterday.
It's just funny to see other parents react when he bites it. My son has taken a very lax approach to parenting. and it shows in his activities Lil Man will take a huge hit, jump up and yell "I'm good!" dust himself off and continue. Unless he is really hurt, then he will let you know. But he won't often cry unless it is warranted.

It makes my wife crazy because she is a helicopter parent for sure. :rofl:

<edit> To clarify, it wasn't because Bman told him to suck it up or call him a cry baby. He just didn't overreact when he fell. Just asked him if he was ok. It evolved into a :thumbsup:

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
One greyhound. The first one died of cancer. Well technically she had cancer that got bad so we took her to the vet and had her euthanized and then had the vet dispose of the carcass.
now that's a good morning post to read first thing on a Tuesday.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
To all, thank you very very much for all the great advice. I knew mixed among the jokes, put downs, and dog death stories I'd get some quality information.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Those FOX pads look cool. They didn't have things like that when Syd was starting out...she had to suck it up and deal, but we did tell her scars were cool and if there isn't blood drawn on a ride we weren't trying hard enough ;) I look forward to hearing your review of the pads...my youngest is ready to hit the trails and hasn't had a big crash yet so it's coming. She's 5 and taking over the world!

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I just got a nice new scar, maybe scars, yesterday. Hit loose, jagged rocks and the bike washed out from under me. Managed to take a chunk from my right elbow,(probably should have gone to get stiches but whatever), nice scratches and rash on the left and right forearms. Screwed up my right knee pretty good, right ankle, and bruises on both thighs, scraped my right pointer finger. I went down on the right side. Need new grips now...which I wanted anyway. Can anyone recommend any good squishy locking grips?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I just got a nice new scar, maybe scars, yesterday. Hit loose, jagged rocks and the bike washed out from under me. Managed to take a chunk from my right elbow,(probably should have gone to get stiches but whatever), nice scratches and rash on the left and right forearms. Screwed up my right knee pretty good, right ankle, and bruises on both thighs, scraped my right pointer finger. I went down on the right side. Need new grips now...which I wanted anyway. Can anyone recommend any good squishy locking grips?
I like the Easton ones. the thick ones. RaceFace is currently marketing a rebranded version of the same grips. they're good, comfy, last long, and work well in the wet.