Quantcast

Killington

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yup, but even if I wasnt doing Killington - I'd rather spend $65 on gas and a tent site at Kingdom to ride trails 100X better then the crappy ones at KendaFest.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
any course info will be appreciated !
About 1000 ft climbing per lap. Almost all of it on access roads. You start climbing right out of the gate, but it's gradual & non-technical. The woods sections are super fun. After the major climbing is over it's mostly rolling for the rest of the lap. You doing this on a single speed?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
About 1000 ft climbing per lap. Almost all of it on access roads. You start climbing right out of the gate, but it's gradual & non-technical. The woods sections are super fun. After the major climbing is over it's mostly rolling for the rest of the lap. You doing this on a single speed?
thanks, looks like 1:10 was a pretty nice lap time for last year??

and yup, my 4 person team will all be on SS rigid bikes.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
thanks, looks like 1:10 was a pretty nice lap time for last year??

and yup, my 4 person team will all be on SS rigid bikes.
Yeah, that's a good lap time. I won't lie, several laps in, the climb will hurt on a single speed. Right before the climb tops out, there is a long steep pitch. It's smooth & straight, but with gears I was able to stay in the saddle & tempo right up every lap. The mens solo winner last year did something crazy like 17 laps. :shocked:

Muddgutt

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
NJ
I'll be there on a 5 person team this year. Did the race on a 4 man team last year and had a blast. The course is a lot of fun. Like Rockland had said the night laps are a blast. Since I'm such a slow climber to begin with, riding at night was great because I couldn't look up and see how much further I had to go. I would just turn my headlight to low, and just keep pedaling. Next thing I know I'm at the top and bombing back down through the woods. Really looking forward to the race. Hope more people sign up. Not many right now.

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Douglas – Your point/concern about people signing up goes back to my post a few weeks ago on another thread about how Killington is 2 weeks before Great Glen etc. Great Glen has 292 riders as of today and it is 2 months away (give or take a few days), I would have to think these races are pulling from the same pool of riders in New England and the Northeast.

I hope they can both survive as it is nice to have choices.

Good luck with that Rigid team…………we’re still neophytes at this and we need every bit of cush we can get!!!! No rigid or SS for me. What is the next step for you once you conquered SS Rigid? Unicycle? :banana:

Steve

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Douglas – Your point/concern about people signing up goes back to my post a few weeks ago on another thread about how Killington is 2 weeks before Great Glen etc. Great Glen has 292 riders as of today and it is 2 months away (give or take a few days), I would have to think these races are pulling from the same pool of riders in New England and the Northeast.

I hope they can both survive as it is nice to have choices.

Good luck with that Rigid team…………we’re still neophytes at this and we need every bit of cush we can get!!!! No rigid or SS for me. What is the next step for you once you conquered SS Rigid? Unicycle? :banana:

Steve
Well, Great Glenn is an established event thats cheaper then Killington so I expect it to draw a much bigger crowd. Granny is a national series so I am sure there's many many factors we wouldnt even think about that is a factor in picking the date. (i.e. like pats peak picks a date according to their wedding schedule!)

NO unicycle for me, but I do know some guys that roll that way - one of them was the 1st ever to uni up the whiteface road (8.3 miles & 3500 ft gain)

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I'll be there racing in some way. I've got one friend who raced w/ me last year, he's commited to do it again. We have 2 more guys that are waffling. So it looks like 4 or a duo. Hopefully all gets sorted soon.

Muddgutt

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
NJ
I'll be riding on Plan B. That SS/Rigid class, now thats hardcore. Not my cup of tea, but hats off to you. I couldn't pull that off on a course entirely at sea level, let alone on Killington. I need all the gears and then some to get me through, but I'll have a good time no less.

I know the Great Glenn race is much bigger, entry wise, and we might try that next year if the turn out for Killington doesn't get much better. Racing at Killington is kind of like luxury racing though if you stay at one of the hotels. The hotels are right there at the start/finish line, so when your done your lap you can go in and shower, eat, take a nap, jump in the pool, etc. and still be back out there for your next lap fully rested, ready to hammer out another lap. Plus last year our team had six children with us, 8 and under, and their were enough things in the area for the moms to keep them occupied while the dads did their thing. Its a great place for a race.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
tick tock, 52 hours & 15 minutes until its race time!!

Friday, Jul 25
High: 84 °F RealFeel®: 79 °F
Mostly sunny, breezy and warmer

Friday Night, Jul 25
Low: 59 °F RealFeel®: 61 °F
Partly cloudy

Saturday, Jul 26
High: 84 °F RealFeel®: 84 °F
Times of clouds and sun with a shower or thunderstorm

Saturday Night, Jul 26
Low: 65 °F RealFeel®: 65 °F
Cloudy with thunderstorms

Sunday, Jul 27
High: 80 °F RealFeel®: 81 °F
Variable clouds, a thunderstorm possible

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Course: 9.2 miles / 1700 ft climbing. I really liked the course, unlike most ski areas, the course wasn’t just one long climb, followed by one long down. They broke it up real nice. Most of the climbs were on fire roads and a couple grass ski slopes, and most of the downs were on their DH trails. Friday's everything was ride able on the SS, but one muddy grass climb would be easier to run/walk. There was a fun long bridge, plenty of roots, rocks, another bridge to a roll able 25 foot drop (of doom!). The course was wet/saturated/muddy spots but was draining pretty fast. My 32:20 combo for the 29er was right on. Andy & I had 1:25 for the preride.

We signed in (cool t-shirt in the bag) and then our plan was to stay in Rutland motel Fri night, then camp at the venue Saturday. Don & Scott showed up Sat. morning, and it was decided I would do the run. Don and his lady friend got a room at the fancy hotel at the venue, we checked it out later - super nice room w/a kitchen!

I was a little bummed there would only be 35 teams, but they did pick kendafest w/e so no surprise there.
The run was long! I stayed around mid pack, but passed a few folks by getting the bike rolling pretty quick, you start climbing immediately and I passed a few more folks and now could only see 3 in front of me, well - pulling away from me. The course dried some overnight, and I just kept at it. I kept thinking in the DH single-track folks would catch up, but it wasn’t until mile 7 that I saw someone behind me. I knew he'd be motivated being he could see me but I was now motivated enough to not let it happen. lap #1 = 1:05, 4th place

Scott "our ringer" took over, well come to find out Scotts life has been crazy & since signing on the team he's only been on the MTB like once! Scott went hard, maybe too hard and wanted to puke. We lost 5 spots. Andy is next, Andy climbs like a madman but is a little nervous on the DH sections. Up 1 spot. Then Don, Don can hammer - but he's 50 plus so will he go too hard and have nothing left later? Up 2 more spots.
I proclaim I will throw it down this lap, but after all of the traffic many spots became sloggy and slow. On the longest climb I notice a crank bolt just laying on the trail, but too late to pick up. 3 miles later I see a stopped rider, he says he has crank issues - I ask if he's missing a bolt "yes!" doh! I finish and tell his guy whats up. I passed 8 people that lap, and felt great and amped, and would have been happy to go do a double. My lap#2 time, 1:04.
Scott goes and soon a nasty storm hits, when he came back he said that totally rocked! Woot! But rim brakes were a bad call. I point at my back up bike. The rain stops. Andy & Don do respectable night laps, and on my lap#3 I discover its completely nasty muddy/sloggy/runing water everywhere, its tough & slow going out there. I start hearing on occasion a loud cheering, and wonder if it’s at the drop of doom. I come flying down this one open section catch some air, and hear 20-30 people cheering, they are all hanging at a muddy corner and going nuts, I slide around the corner and wheelie out of it - more cheering, awesome. Before I finish its back to pouring/thunder/lightning. Its so bad Scott waits, I ask the officials if it will get called - they say nah, Scott leaves and 1 minute later they call it. doh#2! But Scott got freaked by the lightening and came back. We secured 5th overall, time to get the beer! Passing out followed pretty soon.

Word was awards/free lunch was at noon. Everyone but Scott stayed until then, the food was awesome. The solos got cash, expert & 5 person cat's each got niterider lights, I correctly predicted our prizes being a set of 26inch tires each. (we were all on 29ers, doh#3!)

It was super fun, but bummer they decided they wont be back next year due to the low turnout.

some pics:
http://grannygear.smugmug.com/gallery/5544852_LKfER#339674003_WEhuE

http://www.flickr.com/photos/douglas1pics

Muddgutt

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
NJ
Hats off to you and your team Doug. Riding that course rigid/ss was hardcore IMO. Then to finish 5th overall you guys deserved more credit then just a set of tires.

Your course description was dead on. I really enjoyed the course, it was a little better then last year I thought. Other then the hike-a-bike grass/mud bog hill near the end. A couple of new single track sections were added and the "drop of doom" as you called it were great additions. We were bummed the race ended early. It was the right call, but still a bummer.

We kind of figured that they wouldn't be coming back. After 3 years of low turnouts it was a no brainer financially for them to cancel. You couldn't ask for a better venue though, with the hotels right at the start/finish line, a cafeteria open all night and fully functional bathrooms, not to mention a great course(in dryer conditions). Just a shame the last race there had to end the way it did. Oh well, maybe we can convince our wives to let us head out to Moab or some other race out west next year.

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Douglas, great job in what sounds like some tough sledding. SS Rigid, gusty, more gusty than I am. I am ready to puke this upcoming weekend at 24 of GG, should be a hoot.

Based on our earlier conversations etc. about the timing of the race and scheduling conflicts, I’m not surprised they will not be back next year, but it is unfortunate. I would have liked to see them find another weekend to run it. Granted there is always something competing with it, going against Pedros/KendaFest was a tough roll of the dice.

Steve