Quantcast

Killswitch reviews?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Lookin at getting myself a killswitch, frame looks great, but im a tad skeptical on the rear shock(and i cant find any other shock the same size)

Any ride time?
itl be with an 831 and industry 9 wheels, primarily for racing dual slalom and 4x

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I second that, I love the low pro look of them. I spent some time talking to the sales rep at Blkmrkt about the shock valving. It's a very specific tuning since its a super low leverage ratio; supposed to be extremely stiff off the initial stroke, and then widen in mid stroke, and ramp up in the end stroke. I saw an awesome vid of someone rocking the killswitch on some big ass stuff.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
A bb pivot for racing? Have fun pedaling out of the gate with that.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
A bb pivot for racing? Have fun pedaling out of the gate with that.
i plan to run the shock so stiff that the BB pivot wont matter, i had a kona DS back in the day and even that didnt pedal so bad, its only got 4 inches of travel, cant be that bad.

I got to ride one for all of 30 seconds down a slalom track this weekend. The owner showed me the soft and hard settings with the shock and it was way stiff. I loved it.
As soon as BTI gets em in stock i will be building one up.
I'm 6'0 or so and the large has a long top tube but it felt spot on

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i spent an afternoon dirt jumping one. It was alright, the initial stroke is stiff but thats only about 1" worth of travel and then softens up for the rest. i can imagine a sprint to be weird on it as the suspension actually feels like your breaking through extreme sticktion on the shock, pedal nothing then like it breaks through the shock, very different feeling. Similar overall feeling to riding a transition double from what i experienced. geo is a little steep for some racing, and the pedaling is off, and there are better alternatives out there, but for a overall play bike, racing, dj's, light trail bike, its going to be fine

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
isn't it a bit odd to buy a full squish bike and run the suspension so stiff it's basically a hard tail?
disagree with you on that, at least this particular bike, the geometry is very similar to a hard tail, but you still have a little squish when you land, aside from the added weight, you benefit from the jumping capabilities of a hardtail, but the landing abilities of a fully.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
isnt it a bit odd to have the ISCG tabs on the swingarm?
it is, and it feels weird, you can feel when the suspension compresses that the guide moves and pulls the chain, its there and it keeps the chain on, but it feels terrible, this frame should not be ran with gears IMO

isn't it a bit odd to buy a full squish bike and run the suspension so stiff it's basically a hard tail?
yes and no. if you run it too stiff then yes its uselss, and this is super relevant with a 4" travel bike, if one runs it too stiff, it will compress on landings but it is so harsh that you dont even notice it i.e you might as well be on a hardtail, you end up taking the majority of the impact with your knees anyways just as if its a hardtail. this frame should still be ran with 15% sag if it were me.

disagree with you on that, at least this particular bike, the geometry is very similar to a hard tail, but you still have a little squish when you land, aside from the added weight, you benefit from the jumping capabilities of a hardtail, but the landing abilities of a fully.
I know your probably going to think im just ragging on you again, but if you want a DS 4X jump kind of bike, i really suggest you look at something else, not taking away from it as its a great jump/play bike, good for someone with only 1 bike thats rides dj's, some trais, and overall playing around. For someone that already has a hardtail and a 6" bike (yourself) i think you would benefit far more from something a little more dedicated to the race side of things with slacker geo and a better suspension platform. such as a spec SX, yeti 4x, intense tazer.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
To address above, i was originally going to get an SX (sam hill's red 1), but i rode it and the 4x geometry felt absolutely horrible to me, and i hated it.

The reason i chose the killswitch was because i can get more use out of it comparatively, id never jump the SX or bring it to the skatepark, but i have plans to do that with the killswitch until may when DH season starts. I was only able to find 1-2 tracks on the east usa coast that have a slalom course that the banshee would not be good on, but the killswitch would. I have no desire for a geared hardtail, that i would never use, anywhere. (that is a REAL 4x bike)

My decesion came down to how much i can use whatever i buy, i wanted a 4inch or less bike, and not only did it become the best deal, but i found that i will get the most use out of it, i dirt jump 2-3 times a week anyway, i have a new bike that i can ride DJ, skatepark(not the best for it i know) and 4x, rather than just being locked into 4x

Why does it matter where the ISCG tabs are, they are around the BB... Why would it matter, i would think the chain(being concentric) should be better this way than on a normal bike.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why does it matter where the ISCG tabs are, they are around the BB... Why would it matter, i would think the chain(being concentric) should be better this way than on a normal bike.
because your chainguide and chain will move whenever the swingarm moves. look at your DH bikes, the tabs are on the the main triangle, not on the swingarm.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
because your chainguide and chain will move whenever the swingarm moves. look at your DH bikes, the tabs are on the the main triangle, not on the swingarm.
yeah, but that doesnt make sense? On my (insertDHbike) i pedal around the lot and it works fine, whether i am on a slope a flat or a downslope. Now the killswitch keeps the chain in the same spot as a DH bike when its not compressed, right? For me, when i land a drop and compress 9 inches the chainguide stays still, but the chain now comes in from an angle it "shouldnt". The killswitch compresses like the bike "doesnt compress"

right?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Now the killswitch keeps the chain in the same spot as a DH bike when its not compressed, right? For me, when i land a drop and compress 9 inches the chainguide stays still, but the chain now comes in from an angle it "shouldnt". The killswitch compresses like the bike "doesnt compress"

right?
it keeps it in the same spot when its not compressed, yes. but when you compress the suspension on the Killswitch, it will move the chain and guide because it is rotating with the swingarm thats around the BB.
your DH chainguide doesnt move because your front triangle doesnt pivot around the BB

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
it keeps it in the same spot when its not compressed, yes. but when you compress the suspension on the Killswitch, it will move the chain and guide because it is rotating with the swingarm thats around the BB.
your DH chainguide doesnt move because your front triangle doesnt pivot around the BB
i fully understand that, but since the killswitch is concentric, the chainguide will move 30 degrees(factual number) but so will the derailur, chain and cassette, so shouldnt this become really good in that sense. its all attatched, so although it moves, it doesnt move against itself like a DH bike does.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
exactly, you have to imagine, being a full suspension bikes, that compression happens from both end with you floating in the middle, this cause both ends to move "up" while you remain constant, the guide on the killswitch will also move with compression, combined with a spring loaded derailer, this will create tension and relaxation in the chain (chain growth and shrink) thus you will feel your feet being pulled by this. on a regular bike, the guide remains constant with you, keeping the chain where it needs to be, on bike with unusual wheel paths this is why a pully has been incorporated in some designs.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Shouldnt the killswitch be BETTER than a DH because of that, i would think that this would be good, because nothing moves (by itself) on the killswitch. Aside from gravity, shouldnt there be no chain stretch(good) and because everything moves at once(except your cranks) what is the big deal, shouldnt this be bad on a DH bike, where the swingarm moves independently from the guide.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
PB is about to come out with an in-depth review on them. The guy at Blckmrkt said their shop one weighed 25 lbs; single speed with front and rear brake. O_O

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Why? I mean, I am not a fan of the little 13yr olds who spend their days on the forums. But the people in charge of Pinkbike do a good job. They are the a huge influence in the MTB industry for a reason.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Why? I mean, I am not a fan of the little 13yr olds who spend their days on the forums. But the people in charge of Pinkbike do a good job. They are the a huge influence in the MTB industry for a reason.
Has pinkbike ever disliked anything before? What are the chances they will say (anything) sucks, this bike isnt worth the money, it rides like crap. I highly doubt they will, because if they do, they will no longer get free stuff to test. Not saying i blame them, but i have yet to see pinkbike slamming products.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/x-fusion-vengeance-hlr-test-2010.html

Very in depth review, which both pros and cons of the fork. Expressing what they'd like changed, and what they liked.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/dmr-v12-pedals-tested-2010.html

Emphasized that they were not pretty to look at, which is usually a big deal to people building up their bikes.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Camelbak-HAWG-NV-review-2011.html

Again, expressed dislikes and likes. Suggestions for changes, etc.

Those are just a few from October. As I said, you don't get to the point where every mountain biker knows about pinkbike, by giving false/over-hyped reviews. Just saying, seeing how elaborate they make a review of something as simple as a camelbak... I'd say they know what they are doing. Odds are if a bike is awesome, they will say its awesome. And nowadays, you can guess that something coming out of a well known company like Blckmrkt will be nothing short of impressive. And even with that, you rarely see Pinkbike testing ****, you see them testing medium to high-end product, which usually ends up having little wrong with it when it comes to its intended application.

Just my $.02

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I can respect it, i know that it will be fine for what i want it to do, but at the same time, i am still skeptical, that if you gave PB a huffy, instead of getting "this bike is a hunk of terd" you would get the "while there may be better suspension platforms, this proved to be a great bike none the less"

seems as if they beat around the bush

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I can respect it, i know that it will be fine for what i want it to do, but at the same time, i am still skeptical, that if you gave PB a huffy, instead of getting "this bike is a hunk of terd" you would get the "while there may be better suspension platforms, this proved to be a great bike none the less"

seems as if they beat around the bush
When I worked at REI they gave us stuff to test and review, but before we could put the review in the magazine the company had to look at it and approve it. I don't think you are allows to simply say "this sucks."

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
an honest review doesnt matter, if i write a long honest review of the killswitch and say its a mediocre frame, demo_9 is still going to by it. why? Because there is a pre determined factor in his mind, whether it be looks, price, brand, ect. Lots of people get things put into their head and buy things off of totally irration concepts.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Let's not make this a psychological issue.:rolleyes:
It's going to be a sweet frame, they are going to tell you a LOT about it in the review. So even if they don't sway towards either side, you will be able to based on the factual information they do tell you about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i fully understand that, but since the killswitch is concentric, the chainguide will move 30 degrees(factual number) but so will the derailur, chain and cassette, so shouldnt this become really good in that sense. its all attatched, so although it moves, it doesnt move against itself like a DH bike does.
yea it moves in conjuction with your drivetrain (because its mounted to the swingarm). but picture it this way: when you are NOT pedalling (landing a jump, through a turn, etc) the chainguide will move and your cranks will not.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yea it moves in conjuction with your drivetrain (because its mounted to the swingarm). but picture it this way: when you are NOT pedalling (landing a jump, through a turn, etc) the chainguide will move and your cranks will not.
Why would that matter? At worst its a 30 degree variation putting growth in your chain comparable to say... 2-3 link lengths, if that. I think you'd notice that about the same you'd notice chain growth while your downhill bike is cycling through the travel.

Nix that, there would be zero chaingrowth as it wouldn't be pressuring the derailleur since its attached. You would not notice the movement of the chainguide whatsoever.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why would that matter? At worst its a 30 degree variation putting growth in your chain comparable to say... 2-3 link lengths, if that. I think you'd notice that about the same you'd notice chain growth while your downhill bike is cycling through the travel.

Nix that, there would be zero chaingrowth as it wouldn't be pressuring the derailleur since its attached. You would not notice the movement of the chainguide whatsoever.
the only scenario I can think of is that since the lower roller on your guide is changing position (rotating clockwise 30°) in relation to your front triangle and cranks (assuming the situation I described when your not pedalling) it might generate some pedal feedback

and agreed that it wouldn't be more noticeable than any chaingrowth from a dh bike.

just might wanna cycle the suspension through its travel to ensure there's enough clearance for the guide so it won't hit the front triangle when it moves.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Quick Sh!tty depiction of a concentric bb bike with a chainguide attached to the swingarm, moving through 100mm of travel.

If it became an issue of clearance, you could just get a BB mounted chainguide.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
an honest review doesnt matter, if i write a long honest review of the killswitch and say its a mediocre frame, demo_9 is still going to by it. why? Because there is a pre determined factor in his mind, whether it be looks, price, brand, ect. Lots of people get things put into their head and buy things off of totally irration concepts.
Is it an irrational concept because you dont want it, or cant afford it, or is it an irrational concept because i can provide more uses for it than you can? is this the same deal as the 831 (that you now have) Cant we just play nice :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If it became an issue of clearance, you could just get a BB mounted chainguide.
wouldn't a BB mounted chainguide not solve the problem since its a concentric BB and the front triangle is surrounded by the chainstays?

regardless, don't really think it would be a major problem. I'm sure blackmarket did their homework.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
wouldn't a BB mounted chainguide not solve the problem since its a concentric BB and the front triangle is surrounded by the chainstays?

regardless, don't really think it would be a major problem. I'm sure blackmarket did their homework.
I may be totally wrong here, but im thinking that this would be better than the normal DH bike, it might look weird having the guide "move" but its moving with all the components that would normally create the problems, this should be good?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I may be totally wrong here, but im thinking that this would be better than the normal DH bike, it might look weird having the guide "move" but its moving with all the components that would normally create the problems, this should be good?
Agreed, but now the issue is the top guide's clearance with the frame, and/or the pulley giving you some kind of pedaling response. Both of which, I think Blck Mrkt would have noticed early and made efforts to fix.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Agreed, but now the issue is the top guide's clearance with the frame, and/or the pulley giving you some kind of pedaling response. Both of which, I think Blck Mrkt would have noticed early and made efforts to fix.
I have seen them with chainguides on them, so my guess would be that they chainguide doesnt smash the frame anywhere, that seems like a something important they would check.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Is it an irrational concept because you dont want it, or cant afford it, or is it an irrational concept because i can provide more uses for it than you can? is this the same deal as the 831 (that you now have) Cant we just play nice :rolleyes:
i am playing nice, i dont see any part of my previous comment that was supposed to be negative, it was a general response that can be applied to any sort of consumer good, just using your case as an example.

I've given you real world input of the frame and my opinion on it, as i have spent time on one. As i did when you wanted to buy a banshee wildcard for what at the time seemed to be for similar reasons? only to have you complain and hate on the brand after, i am trying to provide some valuable advice from someone that knows whats going on. It does seem however that it doesn't matter what other people's comments are, so my next question is why even make this thread? just buy it, and ride it, and tell us about it afterwards if it turns out you don't like it you can always sell it.

we are complaining about this frame with gears, are you even going to be running them or is it going to be single speed? if its going to be SS this makes the last 2 pages of content irrelavent