Quantcast

King BB

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I'll believe it when I see it! Been waiting for this for a while. Finally got fed up with throwing away the non-servicable Sh!tmano BBs and bought a RaceFace Taperlock. Adjustable chainline, you can actually replace the bearings, and it's got a lifetime warrenty on the spindle, one year on the rest. Twice as much as a Sh!tmano, but it should last more than twice as long. So far so good and it gets run through multiple streams every ride and sees tons of stress as it's installed on my SS. I was eating up the Sh!tmanos every few months.

BTW, Ranger. A King headset is an investment. 10 year warrenty (you will probably never have to use). You will go through many other headsets before you even have to service the King. It hurts to put that much money out for a headset, but once you do, you'll never regret it.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
i'll keep lusting after the King headsets and BBs

hope they have a DH model for the BB, and release that deep-sleeve cup setup for public consumption.

maybe the BB will have that cool ratchet sound... uh... nevermind.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Mine's great! Superlight, superreliable, superstiff, superstrong. I recommend everyone get one!

Ever heard of vaporware?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I thought you guys actaully had something new to report. That web page has been up there for at least a year if not more. Anyone got any inside info on when this thing will actually be out?

I've just about given up on the bad boy.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Reality is ISIS will probably be discontinued in a few years as the external bearing type stuff takes over. I'm sure ISIS bb's will be made for a while as replacements for those using them, but the external bearings are the death knell I think for all other bb's at least at the higher end. King won't waste his time on ISIS.

Maybe King will produce a higher quality external bearing set, but I think the current ones are working pretty well. There were soime issues when Shimano first introduced the XTR set up. But the latest itteration is good. Race face have had some spotty history with their external bbs. Might be related to the finicky installation method, might be questionable bearings. If you check mtbr.com you'll see some guys had a heck of time and others had no problems. My buddy went through a bunch of bbs and a crank on his Diabolus set up. maybe he over loaded the bearings the first time and under loaded to ruin the crank, but all was warranteed and it seems to be butter smoth and tight now. Just took 4 tries. I am not that patient.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I doubt they will be out anytime soon...I was told by CK they would have 1.5 headsets out more than 2 years ago...and still nothing...D

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...yeah - King has been talking about the same damn crap - everything from the non-existant wheelsets on their website , to the invisible 1.5 headset, to the imaginary BB...

The whole BB thing I can understand, because that technology is very fluid right now - I think if King can make an external BB that looks as good as their no-threadsets AND as impeccably constructed, none of their competitors stand a snowballs' chance in hell.

But having pages on their website about these amazing wheelsets saying they are "coming soon" and the last time they updated that was like, 2002??? - COME ON!

I wanna see a King proto BB on a Pros bike next year at the 06' Otter - I don't think that's too much to ask.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, with everyone going to integrated bb spindles now, making a bb seems unlikely, to me. perhaps they'll start making bearings to replace those in current bb cups. that'd be nice, since that's really the only thing that differentiates King from others (disregarding Ring Drive). are the bearings in the new bbs cartridge type?