Quantcast

Kingdom Trails Last Weekend Photos and Summary (very long)

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
What an amazing time last weekend at KT. Robyn and I met up with irishblue76, Badcrumble, and mattandkerri (both). We started the weekend off by meeting at the Trout River Brewing Company for pizza and beer. After a lively dinner we headed up to the Burke campground. On Saturday morning we parked at the Inn at Mountain View Farm and headed down Poundcake. This trail is alot of fun. I'm liking it more and more. Matt announced that it was his favorite trail he's ever ridden. We then proceeded to Coronary Bypass. This trail has really worn in nicely. The sweeping turns flow really nicely together. We all really enjoyed the rollercoaster like section. At the bottom Matt again announced that now this was now his favorite trail (this would happen a few more times throughout the day). We then did the Pastore Point trails and stopped at the lookout so everyone could gawk at the view. Then we grunted up Coronary. I had gotten some shock oil on my front rotor so I was pretty much riding without a front brake. So since we were near the cars we headed back so I could try and clean it up. After a few minutes it wasn't getting any better so Matt and I ran into town and I took it to the shop while he got subs for everyone. After a short lunch break and gab session we were back on the trails (me with new front break pads). We proceeded to Tap n Die. The entrance to the trail had been blown out by a logging skidder. That was really depressing. I scouted down to see how much trail it had destroyed and was delighted to see the trail turn away only maybe 50 feet down the skidder trail. This trail is simply amazing. We had ridden it last year when they first opened it and even though it was really soft and the turns weren't fully developed we still liked it. Now that it is all broken in it is one fantastic ride. It’s like a well choreographed dance of sweeping turns the whole way down. Towards the bottom there are a few huge "Sidewinder" like turns which are a little worn but still ride great. There were big smiles all around at the bottom followed by several minutes of gushing. We were tempted to climb back up to do it again. But instead we cruised down River Run to Webs. This trail is amazing as well. It’s through an open pine forest so the trail is all packed pine needles weaving throughout the trees. Claire mentioned how she like how her tires sounded rolling over the trail. “It sounds like a roller coaster”! Then we continued down River Run to Dry Feet then to West Branch. While Robyn continued on West Branch the rest of us headed up Hog Back to Sidewinder. Hogback is a nice climb. It starts out a little steep and then goes into gradual switchbacks which don’t really feel much like climbing at all. But then it points upward for the last bit to the start of Sidewinder. Before heading down I gave a huge speech on how to ride this crazy trail. Everyone seemed confident so I headed down. And yes, this is one crazy trail! It starts off innocently enough but soon turns into a fight for dear life! The trail snakes up and down the sides of a ravine. After a few quick downhill turns the trail straightens out and points steeply downhill. Your natural instinct is to drag the brakes to check your speed since that much speed doesn’t seem right in such a thick forest. But when you look up you notice that the trail then shoots back up. This allows you to let go of the brakes and let the uphill slow you down. This scenario continues several times down the hill. The g forces between each turn are insane. I’ve ridden this trail several times and every time I’m amazed at how hard it is to keep from being sucked down onto the top tube when heading back up the banks. They don’t look that steep but at that speed it is pretty intense. When I got to the bottom I ran back up to take photos and video of the others. As I was walking back up I could hear Claire cursing the trail and saying something like “this is terrifying!” Apparently she heeded my advice and didn’t brake at all for the first hill. Well, I had forgotten that it was a little bumpy and my AM bike handles it better than her trail bike. She said she doesn’t know how she made it down but she continued through the first two turns. The second turn is probably the worst but it was enough to scare her off her bike. She walked past the third turn and rode the rest of the way down. The other girls had similar experiences and skipped the harder turns but easily rode the smaller turns. We met back up with Robyn at the bottom and after everyone stopped shaking we climbed up the new switchback West Branch trail. The other option is the straight up the hill, 30% grade, death climb. This climb is tough in first gear and is probably faster to walk. The new trail takes much longer but barely feels like you’re climbing at all. Before you know it your at the top. We took a snack break at the bottom of Webs and I proceeded to play on the skinnies and teeter totters they had set up there. The one skinny over the log pile changes every time I’m there. This time there was a turn at the top and I didn’t take the whole thing seriously enough. I lost balance and casually went to put my foot down. Unfortunately, there was nothing there to step on! I fell about 4 feet into a hole of timbers. No real damage just a bunch of bruises. I felt really stupid for that. I promptly got back up and tried again. This time I did it without falling. After dusting myself off we climbed up Old Webs. This trail is like Webs but much longer and faster. Plus there are a few nice little jumps about half way down. This trail also ended up towards the top of everyone’s list. The bottom is really cool because if you crank through the turns are really fun. There is one in particular that I thought as I was approaching that I really had to make sure I did this smooth. It was a sharp turn and if I clipped the left tree I was going to go straight into the tree on the right. And these were big trees! It would have been ugly. But I slipped through with only a slight scrape on my pack. By this time everyone was getting pretty tired so we climbed up Boarder to Darling Hill Road. Beth took the road back to the cars. The rest of us proceeded down the VAST trail where it dipped in and out of the woods on single and double track trails with a few fun little jumps. This snowmobile trail is pretty straight so we were able to hit speeds of over 30mph! We stayed on VAST all the way back to East Darling Hill Road.

After getting cleaned up we went out to the Pub Outback for dinner. They have really improved their menu and everyone really enjoyed their meals. This was followed by another night of chatting around a nice fire at the campsite.

The second day started out with us breaking down camp. The cooler temps were nice but the overcast sky had us wondering if we were going to be able to ride. It drizzled on and off in the morning but never rained on us. I was originally planning on riding the fun trails on the Burke side but since the Darling Hill side was what makes KT truly special we decided to head back over there. Beth’s ankle was feeling a bit sore and with the chance of thunderstorms she didn’t want to risk slipping and hurting it further. So she went home. Matt had left the night before so he too wasn’t on this ride. Everyone else was still a bit tired from the day before so we skipped the right side and headed straight to Tap n Die. Again, we all had a blast dancing down this amazing trail. We then rode the same route back to Old Webs except this time we didn’t do Sidewinder. Old Webs was such a great time that after riding it once we rode back up to do it a second time. We then again climbed Boarder to Darling Hill road. I was tempted to take some of the trails down but decided to save peoples legs for Kitchel. We again blasted down the VAST trail but this time we turned onto the Beat Bog trail. This is another one of those climbing trails that doesn’t really feel like much climbing. When we got to Kitchel we were greeted with a sign warning us of heavy machinery at the bottom. This had us concerned but we headed down anyway. To our dismay the best part of the trail which was quick sharp banks had been all but completely destroyed. :( Kind of a bummer of an ending.

We had lunch at Bailey and Burke before saying “goodbye” to KT and heading home. We all talked later how the “high” seemed to linger for the rest of the day even though we were stuck in cars. The memories of the beautiful sweeping turns will have to suffice until next time because there is nothing like KT anywhere else.

Here is my gps info for Saturday (I forgot to restart the timer for part of the VAST trail so it is actually longer, faster, and more downhill than what was recorded.

Here is my gps info for Sunday.

Here and here are a couple short video clips.

Here are all my pics (I haven't customized the show yet). Below is a sampling.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Logging. They ran the skidder trail right throught the bottom section. There are a few banks left but it is wrecked. Like I said the skidder also cut the top part of Tap n Die and the trail crosses it a couple more times but it doesn't look like it destroyed anything. And the bottom or Todys / Catbox Hill is all tore up. Oh and Harp has been clear cut.

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Kevin - It was good to run into you guys last weekend up there. Sorry we didn't hook up on the trails, it appeared you were heading out as we headed in each time. We enjoyed 3 days worth of KT riding and on e day of NH pre ride for the Great Glenn race, good times.....KT does spoil you though.

Splat, there was some decent skidder damage, the beginning of Tap N Die (which isn't that bad I guess....we rode by it), there is a 75 yd section of Tody's that has been taken out, Harp evidently has been damaged extensively as well although we avoided it. Kitchel was dumbed down it appears by the skidder trails as well. All the damage I saw was above E Darling Rd. on the Harp to Old Webs stretch of trails.

Overall the logging wasn't much of an issue, there are plenty of trails still intact.

We rode a ton on Saturday and ended up climbing up Rim, Ridge and Heaven's Bench the wrong way (hey climbing makes it all better going back down right?) then in the pm we climbed it on the fire road from Bill Magil.....hey why not. Throw in that damn road climb and Coronary 3x's and we had a good day of hills.

Going back soon.........Kev, I have to check out the pics when I have more time.

Steve

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
unless they did more since I was there couple weeks ago, there was just 1 small spot on each of tapndie, kitchel, & todystour...no big deal.

badcrumble

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
wooooster, MA
That was my first time up at KT and I had an amazing time. Those trails really are something else. I can't wait to go back up for monkey fest. Hopefully I won't drink too, too much beer and be riding with a headache :bonk:

Steve and Nancy,
me and the other girls you met up at KT are doing Great Glen too. Look out for us and we can give each other some moral support while going round those fire roads

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
It was nice to meet you all. I know Nancy was supposed to go riding with Beth on Wednesday but Beth was unable to make it so Nancy went riding with another dude from work. It is so weird that Beth works the same place as Nancy (and I used to work there as well).

Ah yes Great Glen…….that course is just enough to piss your legs off. Little goat climbs sprinkled in here and there that find you in the wrong gear at the wrong time. The key to riding that course quickly is to carry as much speed from the fire roads into the single track sections as possible. A couple of the single track sections will be just as quick to walk/run as to ride. Which over the course of 24 hours, may be the prudent thing to do.

Nancy and I are going as a 2 person (again………same as Pat’s Peak), with 8.2 miles per lap I think our outside goal has to be around 16 laps (8 each) for about 66 miles each and just over 10K vertical feet. Should be a good challenge. Of course 16 laps isn’t really all that competitive but it would be a giant step up from what we did at Pat’s.

Steve

badcrumble

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
wooooster, MA
Wow, you guys are way more ambitious than us. We entered a 4 person, womens beginner team and were aiming for 4 laps each. 3 of us have never done the 24 hour thing before so don't really know what to expect!
Good luck,
Claire

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
We may sound more ambitious but it doesn’t mean we will pull it off. I figure if we shoot for 16 and end up with 12 or 14 then “whatever”, but if I shoot for 14 mentally I may shut down just short of that in a “awe heck we’re close enough to our goal” mentality.

Either way the goal is to live and finish. Pat’s Peak was our first 24 and each person will be completely different; it depends on how well you deal with a lack of sleep and keeping a positive attitude. Figure out what you can eat that will give you energy but not turn you inside out. Other than that…..we’re learning as we go.

Kevin - When are you guys headin up to KT next?

Steve