Quantcast

Klein Stage Comp (late 90s)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm talking with a guy about a swap - my hollowpoint for his Klein Stage Comp. I did some googling on the bike yesterday - not much out there. Anyone know much about this bike? It's got a lot of the specs I'm looking for (105 group, STI, tripple rings, carbon fork), but that's really all I know. The guy took some pics for me, and it seems to be in pretty good shape.

Is this a decent bike? Any guestimage on the value of the bike if it were sold outright? From what I've seen, a similar equipped bike new would be in the $1000-$1500 range.

Thanks.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am not a roadie, but I recently did buy and older road bike just to have. What I learned.... Classic bikes are COOL!

ok

First off that bike has a quil (sp?) headset/stem. So if you want to adjust the reach of the bars you are gonna either have to find a quil stemset that you like, or buy the adapter and a regular stem. Not a huge deal, but still something you should consider. I was lucky that mine came out pretty easy and I was able to put the quil adapter in there no problem. Also for $1500 you can get a pretty decent NEW bike. WHen I was looking the $1500 range got you a new aluminum frame, carbon fork and 105 drive train.

Here is what I was able to buy for $500. It is a Carbon frame with Shimano 600 drive train, which is STi, and the older equivalent to 105.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks. I'm very green when it comes to road bikes, so things like the quill stem are the kinds of things I'm hoping people will point out. At this point, I don't think that's a big deal. If things work out, I'll ride it for a while and see how things feel before I do anything.

I know you can buy a heck of a bike for $1500. I was just looking for a ball park number for what this bike would sell for in the classifieds. Seems like new bikes with mostly 105 stuff go for between $1000 and $1500, for whatever perspective that gives.

Money is really tight right now, so being able to swap a little used trail bike for a complete road bike is very appealing to me. I just wish I could see how it fits/feels first, but...

BTW - it looks like you got a pretty sweet ride for $500!

Any other comments about the bike?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
Thanks. I'm very green when it comes to road bikes, so things like the quill stem are the kinds of things I'm hoping people will point out. At this point, I don't think that's a big deal.
ALong with the stem, it is also the difference between a threaded and non threaded headtube/headset. Newer road bikes are set up like mountain bikes with a threadless system. FYI... I think the adapter was like $20

jacksonpt said:
I just wish I could see how it fits/feels first, but...
Ya well fit is REALLY important on a road bike. I was lucky, a buddy of mine had a number of stems for me to mess with the reach on the handlebars, so once I got that quill adapter thing I was able to make some changes.

jacksonpt said:
BTW - it looks like you got a pretty sweet ride for $500!
I did, another added benefit was the guy I bought it from is a friend of a friend, so I was able to take it out for a ride (at least 25 miles) to see if I liked the way it felt. From there I knew I liked the bike and would just need to address the reach. You can look at the seat post length on my bike, I didn't have much to work with there.

Good luck, RoadBiking is still not all that fun, but you gotta have 1 I guess.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
I think that if your Hollowpoint is worth less than a grand (significntly) than you might be on to something here. The fact that it uses a quill stem indicates that it's pretty old, and heavier than it needs be. The adaptor route is perfectly functional but would add a large amount (prob over a pound) of weight compared to a proper threadless set-up. In order to convert you'd need a new headset stem and fork. Costly. For around $1000 US you should be able to get something used or new with a threadless stem and atleast 105, if not Ultegra (600) for a little more.

Note: shimano gruppos in increasing quality: Tiagra, 105, Ultegra (used to be 600), Dura-Ace.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
105 equipped bikes (Depending on the brand) typically go for around 1000 new. What's on the Hollowpoint? I'd think for something used you'd be able to get an Ultegra grouppo...

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Here is what I was able to buy for $500. It is a Carbon frame with Shimano 600 drive train, which is STi, and the older equivalent to 105
How did you get that bike for $500? That's really cheap!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If you have reasonable parts on your hollowpoint, you are getting the short end of the deal, in my opinion. That bike must be pretty old. Think about it: do you want to be riding a 5-8 year old aluminum frame? Not sure how much the guy rode it but that could be risky.

Also, it's probably got some old standards on there: threaded headset (quill stem, same deal), less than 9-10 speeds (no replacement parts on some components, like shifters), 1 inch headtube, square taper BB.

Besides, the parts aren't that great anymore. Matrix rims are basically generic. 105 of a few years ago is not 105 today. I have a '98 (I think) Ultegra group on my CX bike and it looks a bit newer than the stuff on that Klein but is probably no better (maybe worse) than 105 now.

If you want a road bike, I would sell the IH and look used. Some great deals can be had on used road bikes.