Quantcast

Knee/Shin guard with articulating knee?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I've got a pair of long in the tooth POC bone VPD guards that I am tired of stitching back together so I'm looking for something new. Probably one of the best features of these pads is the articulating knee (see picture) and I would really like to find something that has this feature. The difference in chafing after 3 days of dh is amazing.

What full-length knee/shin guards offer this? I've been looking around and see the IXS Clever might? Dainese's Armoform Knee Guard Lite Ext too? Anything else out there that might offer a little pedal bite protection too?

Attachments

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I picked up some Endura MT500s a few seasons ago and I really like em, seem to say in place pretty well (compared to others I have owned and tried) and can be used on more than just DH. Tried on a lot of different ones at the shop.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Looks like Leatt's Knee and Shin guard 3DF Hybrid EXT has this too.. but I'm wary of a soft kneecap:

Thanks djjohnr, but I'll pass on those

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ah, the knee shin thread of 2017. Behold, several people give suggestions and several people hate them all. I agree with kidwoo, 99.9% suck, and that's generous.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Ah, the knee shin thread of 2017. Behold, several people give suggestions and several people hate them all. I agree with kidwoo, 99.9% suck, and that's generous.
99.9% suck because of subjective reasons or objective? If the latter what is the market missing?

To me it just seems like buyers want too many different conflicting features (i.e. full out no-kidding protection vs. something lightweight that only covers half the leg for breathability and can be pedaled in. I recognize this and did try to narrow it down (at least a little :D) with the articulating knee

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
99.9% suck because of subjective reasons or objective? If the latter what is the market missing?

To me it just seems like buyers want too many different conflicting features (i.e. full out no-kidding protection vs. something lightweight that only covers half the leg for breathability and can be pedaled in. I recognize this and did try to narrow it down (at least a little :D) with the articulating knee
Exactly. And I want to get shooty every time I read a 'review' where no one's actually wadded up on them so genuinely has no fvcking clue how they actually work.

Those cleavers stay put. I have had one move augering my knee into something but they just moved, they don't move OFF. I still say these were the best I ever owned. Made for crashing, not made for pedaling.
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/lizard-skins-kneeshin-combo-body-armor/2

Honestly if you can use djjohn's pair I'd just do that because you know you like them. That's yuge.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They catch lots of gravel and hold it against your shins when sliding around too. :D

I understand that they DO stay in place because they rest on the top of your foot. But damn those things are useless in a real tumble. I use my pair for snowmobiling (under pants) now. Much better for that.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just tried a bunch of kneepads and wound up with the Dainese Armoforms (the knee ones, not the full length). They had the least amount of material behind my hamstrings (I ditched my Ambushes because I felt like I had rolled up socks behind my knees when pedaling), and were also the coolest to boot. Articulating knee isn't necessary but it works. Bonus points for having hardshell-ish protection that should slide on impact. More side protection would be nice (there's some but the coverage could be better). The knee cap shell sticks out a bit more than I'd prefer but I can deal with that.

Also tried -

• Scott Grenade 2 D30
    • Runner up, lots of protection (more side protection then the Dainese) but no hardshell, a bit thicker behind the hamstring and really hot
  • Fox Launch Pro D30
    • Quad opening really tight compared to calf opening, not comfortable behind the hamstring, hardshell cap but no protection on the sides of the knee.
  • 7idp Tactic
    • Super bulky knee cap, boa system put too much pressure on a small area.
  • 7idp Control
    • Felt like I was strapping cardboard to my knee...seriously.
I was a little surprised at how bad the 7idp pads felt as I love my 7idp Transition trail knee pads.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The Dainese, Fox and Scott pads all come up high, have a lot of rubber gripping material and stay tight enough above the calf to have a good likely hood of staying up in a crash on my legs, but you never really know for sure until you go down. With the Dainese I think if I have any issues it will be from a side impact. The 7 pads I didn't keep on very long, and didn't bother pedaling in - they felt like shit immediately.

On of the things I like about my 7 trail pads is how high the thigh compression sleeve comes up, you never have to worry about it slipping down from pedaling. Making all knee pads like that seems like a no-brainer.