Quantcast

Koi fish

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
How many of you have koi fish? Where do yours live? Pond or tank?

I have a baby (just over a year old now). He's 5-6 inches in size right now. I figured I would show him off now that I finally have a camera that I can actually capture him with (Just bought a Nikon d40).

Anyways, here is my fish Snacks:

Last edited:

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
8-10 can't remember!!! Pond goes from 3.5ft to over 5ft deep. Some are atleast 2ft long and have lived in the pond for 6years. Some have been born in the pond. Really though, Keeping a Koi pond is a f-ing joke. Have lost a lot of fish!!! Will post more later if i have time Tunnel is a calling!!!

Attachments

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i have koi goldfish, i buy about 12 a year and put them in my 3 acre pond. not for aesthetic but for algae control. them suckers eat it like its their last meal. if they die over the winter no big deal. we have a few that are over a foot long now. fish grow proportionally to the surface area of the container they are kept.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My grandfather has a 2 acre pond that he put a dozen Koi and German Orfus (sp?) in about 30yrs ago. Some of the longer lived koi are massive. I haven't been to their place in a while but I guess they started putting hybrid bass in the pond to control the Orfus population.

Last edited:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
none right now... used to have a bunch but we lost 6 or 7 due to a Blue Herron. They were getting pretty big and had even started to hatch little ones. Others died when the pond froze over when a power failure took out the pump to the waterfall.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Koi are just domesticated common carp. Personally I think they should be illegal to keep outdoors and those that are there now should be made into fertilizer.

www.carpbusters.com

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i have koi goldfish, i buy about 12 a year and put them in my 3 acre pond. not for aesthetic but for algae control. them suckers eat it like its their last meal. if they die over the winter no big deal. we have a few that are over a foot long now. fish grow proportionally to the surface area of the container they are kept.
It's like multiple people post under the same user name.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice! Thats cool that so many of you have (or have had) koi before. I love mine. He actually has some personality. The picture doesnt capture his white fins/belly really at all. But it is such a cool contrast to the gold/black on the rest of him.

Lets see some pictures of yours!

Mike, yeah Snacks rules. I actually was inspired by a bike shop bro's dog named Snacks. Before I had Snacks the Koi, I had a freshwater lobster named Snacks Onebite McDippednbutter. But one day when he was shedding his old shell (they are really vulnerable at this stage) one of my fish ate all of his legs off, then he died.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
fish grow proportionally to the surface area of the container they are kept.
Ugh...working at a fish shop for a few years led me to believe that most ignorant folk actually believe that. No...what happens is that they are stunted, eventually become deformed and have shortened lives. Goldfish can go 20+ years...which is why i laugh when someone claims they kept one in a bowl for 5 years like its some accomplishment. /rant

ANYWAYS...nice ponds guys. Koi are cool.

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
...I had a freshwater lobster named Snacks Onebite McDippednbutter. But one day when he was shedding his old shell (they are really vulnerable at this stage) one of my fish ate all of his legs off, then he died.
Sad death for your pet, but that has to be one of the awesomest pet names ever. My old neighbor had a pot belly pig that he called "lunchmeat". His wife really didn't approve of the name but it stuck.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive got 20-25 Koi fish in a 7000 gallon pond..we made the mistake of not putting a motion sensing sprinkler the first year and lost a bunch of $200+ karp to those damn blue herrings..
they are easier to keep than my damn reef tank

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Are they enjoyably edible?

Or do they taste like poo?
Carp are a pretty popular eating fish in europe and asia, but not so much here in the US. Not sure why, but then again we don't like Haggis or Dog either so maybe we're just weird like that.