Quantcast

Kona feedback

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hey,

I was just wondering if any of you have any experience with Kona's mountain bikes? Or, more specifically, the Cinder Cone?

I've been looking for a nice bike for trails and some some rougher mountain biking stuff. I really like the cinder cone's hydraulic disc brakes and standard clipless pedals.

The only problem is, it needs to be ordered and shipped here and the weather has been gorgeous lately!

Beth

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i work at a shop that deals kona and for one think that's an awesome bike. check into a number of different things though. no good shop employee is going to tell you that riding a few bikes and seeing what fits you best and what you feel most comfortable on is a bad idea.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Cinder Cone is a great value in the Kona lineup in my opinion. Kona hardtail geometry is really nice too! :thumb:

If you can scrape together a few more bucks - it might be worth it to take a hard look at the Caldera as well - it'll get you a nicer fork and Deore level stuff throughout I believe.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I think I'll have to stick to the cinder cone becuase I'll need to buy shoes too. I'm glad to see that so many people like Konas. I rode a Giant Reineer (sp?) and the kona just felt completely different and fit me so well.

Beth

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i have an 04 cinder cone and i love it. the geo is great and the frame is strong. although it does feel like its getting a bit small for me. definately go for it.

Matjean

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
I have a Kona Hoss since last year ... was looking for the cinder cone but choose Hoss for his durability ... The Cinder is lighter and enough strong I believe and nice parts for price!
I was not wrong cause this year I change for a brand new Dawg frame.
My style is more all mountain then XC!

Enjoy your ride! :thumb:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
My feelings? I definitely love this bike! It's an incredible climber and I'm really glad I chose the hydraulic disc brakes. This is my first time with clipless pedals, so that's a bit odd and I'm taking it easy with jumping things and such for now.

Overall, though, this bike is so responsive and has some great components and a really solid frame. I highly recommend Kona :thumb:

Beth

Matjean

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
Kewl! Another converted to Kona ride!

For me ... I got my new Dawg frame and mount it with my upgraded parts of my Hoss...

...and its a incredible ride! :drool:

Attachments

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
bluebug32 said:
Here' my new Kona!

Beth

Great looking bike Beth!! I also LOVE the color! I rode a few different bikes before I decided to get my Kona and few of them felt as sturdy and just plain "solid" as my Dawg!! Now, you gotta make a road trip up to the Saratoga area to ride with me, Treesaw, Douglas, etc... :thumb:

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
New to the site... love it! So much great information. I'm posting here because I'm also looking at a Cinder Cone or Caldera, but want some opinions on Rocky Mountain... I've always had a Rocky in the past, the geometry seems to fit me better (fairly short reach) but to get the same level of componants in the Rocky (either the Trailhead or Vertex 30) it seems to be a lot more money. Am I missing something? Does anyone know anything - there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Rocky on this site but being Canadian I would love to buy Canadian made if I can (though Kona is made in Pacific NW which is pretty close;)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
mtnluvn said:
New to the site... love it! So much great information. I'm posting here because I'm also looking at a Cinder Cone or Caldera, but want some opinions on Rocky Mountain... I've always had a Rocky in the past, the geometry seems to fit me better (fairly short reach) but to get the same level of componants in the Rocky (either the Trailhead or Vertex 30) it seems to be a lot more money. Am I missing something? Does anyone know anything - there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Rocky on this site but being Canadian I would love to buy Canadian made if I can (though Kona is made in Pacific NW which is pretty close;)
The Rocky Mountain will definitely be a better frame. I believe they are made in Canada vs Kona's overseas manufacturing. If the fit is correct I would go with the RM. The higher quality frame and better fit will mean a much more comfortable overall ride. I too love Kona, but there are better bikes, they just happen to fit me very well. Rocky doesn't have a ton of dealers in the US and that is why you don't hear much about them, they are top quality bikes though and well worth the money(my friend's oxygen frame is 7 years old and going strong).

The Ito

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
McGRP01 said:
Great looking bike Beth!! I also LOVE the color! I rode a few different bikes before I decided to get my Kona and few of them felt as sturdy and just plain "solid" as my Dawg!! Now, you gotta make a road trip up to the Saratoga area to ride with me, Treesaw, Douglas, etc... :thumb:
Sounds great. I would love to come up!

Beth

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
That's a great looking bike. I still have my '94 Kona Lava Dome which I plan on converting to a 1x8 around-town cruiser as soon as I get some extra cash. I rode the heck out of that bike until Oct of '02, when I went full-suspension.

My wife has an '02 Cinder Cone that is sitting in storage, collecting dust. But that's another story.