Quantcast

Kona Stinky?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
So I have a bitchin Santa Cruz V10 that I ride at Diablo and just feel like it may be too much bike for what I'm doing. I don't race it but do want to try the beginner stuff later this summer. I came across a pretty hooked up 07 Stinky that I am considering getting because it may be a better all arounder. can I take the Stinky out in the local XC trails if I had too? Can it handle soem DH stuff when I go to Diablo and Killington? Thanks

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I've seen a guy ride up a hill on a Stinky, but his goal was to ride down really fast. There was no way he'd ride it XC if he had a choice.

Yeah you can ride a Stinky XC, crap you can ride any bike XC if you want to. But you won't have much fun.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I rode my V10 xc one day because I was bored. I'd rather piss razors than do that again:D
I just think my V10 is waaayyy too much bike than I really need. Was thinking the Stinky would be more of an all mountain? Would you guy's sell a V10 for a stinky if you weren't racing? How about the Kona air? Thanks for the replies

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
A coilair would ride most stuff at a resort I'd think. I rode my 6" Enduro last year at Keystone on black diamonds and felt comfortable. I took it on a double black and walked 1 section (I wasn't wearing armor or a full face though).

I have a Commencal Meta6 now. If I had to have one bike I'd sell my DH and keep the Meta6 (or Enduro if I still had that).

I think a 6" bike with a beefy front fork and a Float/Monarch (XC type shock) on back will work good on XC and still be able to handle most resort trails.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I rode my V10 xc one day because I was bored. I'd rather piss razors than do that again:D
I just think my V10 is waaayyy too much bike than I really need. Was thinking the Stinky would be more of an all mountain? Would you guy's sell a V10 for a stinky if you weren't racing? How about the Kona air? Thanks for the replies
Why are you so fixed on Kona? Stinky is an mediecore bike and you can go better be it giant reign x, specialized sx trail or any other light fr bike.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Always wanted a Stinky. I just like them. If I hate it I'll just get something else but really want to try one

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Really for xc trails I think stinky may still be big and I'd go coiler or some of the new konas that will pop up next year that fill the gap between the coiler and the stinky.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
If you want more of an all around bike get a santa cruz nomad or maybe the new driver 8. A nomad with a more burly build will allow you to pedal up and enjoy the ride down.

Oh and stinky's like to crack. I had a friend go through 3 frames...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've seen a guy ride up a hill on a Stinky, but his goal was to ride down really fast. There was no way he'd ride it XC if he had a choice.

Yeah you can ride a Stinky XC, crap you can ride any bike XC if you want to. But you won't have much fun.
SERIOUSLY!

Used to own a stinky and riding up hill was like riding an angry pogo-stick.

There are lots of bikes which will pedal much better than the stinky and descend almost as well.

Look for an "all-mountain" (translation 6") bike with aggressive geometry. Like NAYR said the nomad is worth checking out as long as you aren't a big fella, the rear triangle is a little flexy.

Avoid air-sprung suspension. The added weight for springs is worth it to make an AM bike more forgiving on the downhills IMO.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Oh and stinky's like to crack. I had a friend go through 3 frames...
:think:

I have seen guys on South Mountain in Phoenix do some incredible climbs on Stinkys, but I would not recommend it.

Ride a Stinky and check it out, and then go buy a Bullit.

bwolmarans

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
The Angels, Kalifornia
I ride an 07 Stinky. If you are seated, it pedals really well, but it is impossibly pogo-y out of the saddle. Yes, that's with propedal cranked all the way. A really ****ty bike for DH racing if you ever need to do any standing pendalling. Try a Demo, I had an old bighit it pedalled amazingly well with that FSR thing specialized has.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Like it has been said, there are many other bikes other than a Kona that will pedal MUCH better and still descend just as well or better than a Kona. If you are looking to trade someone your bike for another one I'm sure you can find a much better bike than a Kona with 6" front and rear that will do just what you want. When i first got into biking i thought Konas were the $hit. Then i realized how many better suspension designs exist than the Kona with its astronomical amount of brake jack and mediocre pedalling.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Like many people said, go with the Nomad. Hell, it's one of the most amazing bikes I've ridden. Good for climbing, and a ton load of fun when going down. With a burly build, it can take medium to bit big jumps decently, and if you could get a VPP2 one, it'll pedal even better.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Like many similar bikes with shorter stays ;)
Touche. It (the geo) looks wack on paper, but it rides real nice. Brake Jack is an issue, but it teaches you to stay off the brakes in the rough. As for pedaling, just pedal smoother, or faster. Unless I'm making real jerky pedal strokes it doesn't bob too bad.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
wow, so the general consensus is that Kona's are not that good. I always thought they were:eek:
It's not that bad. I loved mine, a few years back when the fux-bar linkage wasn't super outdated. The four-bar makes for a fun, active ride. It's just that there are better bikes out there (especially for pedaling).

One thing Kona does well is the price point. You can get some rocking deals on completes if you look.

Also, I have heard some good things about the "magic-link" from a few people. Sounds interesting and it may make a bike like the coiler into a very well rounded ride.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I just bought this. sold the V10, put a nice chunk o money in my pocket. I'll try it. If I don't like it I'll get something else

Attachments

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Konas are not a bad dela for the money, lets face it, there is alot more worse options out there to pick from. It may not be the best climber, but it isnt terrible<Yes, I spent considerable time on one>. Its going to be a big shift from the V10 for ya, but belive you will enjoy the Kona.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
The V10 was great but a little overkill for what I really want to do. After the Stinky, I got my eye on a driver 8. I don't keep things very long anyway:D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What's the big deal about the Driver 8. The geo looks a little wack for having 8 inches.
The Geo to me looks more like an overly aggressive AM bike, that is very DH worthy. It seems quite the cool bike for the average racer/rider, little steeper than you would expect from a Full on race bike, little higher BB than you expect from a full blown DH bike. Good all around build for the aerage person.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
The Geo to me looks more like an overly aggressive AM bike, that is very DH worthy. It seems quite the cool bike for the average racer/rider, little steeper than you would expect from a Full on race bike, little higher BB than you expect from a full blown DH bike. Good all around build for the aerage person.
That's what I was kind of thinking. The V10 looks like overkill for a lot of people and the Driver 8 seems more practical I guess. It's just a little short and steep for my liking.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i don't know why everyone hates on the stinky's. i had so much fun on mine. I've spent a massive amount of time the past 3 seasons on a blindside, bottlerocket, commencal furious, commencal supreme dh, dirtbag, sunday, and lesser time on other big name bikes and i still thought my stinky was the funnest bike i owned. i didn't really go uphill but for the freeride trails i did, it was so much fun

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
i don't know why everyone hates on the stinky's. i had so much fun on mine. I've spent a massive amount of time the past 3 seasons on a blindside, bottlerocket, commencal furious, commencal supreme dh, dirtbag, sunday, and lesser time on other big name bikes and i still thought my stinky was the funnest bike i owned. i didn't really go uphill but for the freeride trails i did, it was so much fun
That is what I've been hearing so that's why I wanted to try one. Alot of people take what they read on internet forums as gospel. I have some people telling me I won't like the Stinky and they never even rode one.:thumb:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
That is what I've been hearing so that's why I wanted to try one. Alot of people take what they read on internet forums as gospel. I have some people telling me I won't like the Stinky and they never even rode one.:thumb:
That's the internet for ya. Those bikes are FUN, durable, and cheap. I don't see anything wrong with that.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
like i know there's brake jack and it could have been that i was more worried about riding than whether my $5k bike was in perfect condition but it was awesomely fun. i loved the suspension that i had on it, and everything was just perfect

edit: and mine was just gangsta as hell

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I have an '09 CoilAir I picked up at the beginning of the month.
For trail riding, its great. Climbs well, descends well.

I used to have a 2000 Stinky, it was a great bike. Two friends ride '05 and '06 Stinky's and they are solid. Under the right rider, you can do some amazing stuff. The dude on the '05 rode 3 days in Moab with us, including the Whole Enchilada (Porcupine), with a 7 mile road ride back, a whole day pedalling in Fruita and GJ, then a 20+ mile ride on Sovereign Trail. He wasn't the fastest, but he did it.

I think you'll enjoy it.