Quantcast

"Kony 2012", the plot thickens?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
It's bull****.

No NGO can cover all issues nor all facets of any one issue as complex as conflict in Uganda. They are doing good work, and there is nothing nefarious. They just can't do everything themselves.

CarChkka

Chimp
Mar 11, 2012
Boise, ID
the conflict in uganda has always been quite disgusting, and the lra has never been the only player. I think it's great that they started this campaign raising awareness but I don't agree with invisible children's methods. The Ugandan army and government are no better than any rebel group the region has to offer. there are plenty of other awesome charities to donate to who aren't a quarter as shady as ic. Just my .02

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the conflict in uganda has always been quite disgusting, and the lra has never been the only player. I think it's great that they started this campaign raising awareness but I don't agree with invisible children's methods. The Ugandan army and government are no better than any rebel group the region has to offer. there are plenty of other awesome charities to donate to who aren't a quarter as shady as ic. Just my .02
just uganda? more like 2/3 of the continent

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This story and the attendant waves of media/social reactions must be some Sociology PhD candidate's wet dream. It's like a canned dissertation.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The only thing more pretentious than a do-nothing globally concerned citizen is a dickbag who hates on a world issue they know nothing about under the mistaken belief that the snark will make them appear even more wordly than said do-nothing.

"pfffff, I was into Uganda back when it was a real human rights tragedy, like, before it became all mainstream and ****."

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Congratulations on your snark, but if you think that pic is remotely accurate let alone useful, you're a ****ing idiot without the basic knowledge or expertise necessary to even begin commenting on this topic or Kony.
Heres the allknowing Ohio again...
O wait ur dads somekind of expert on this stuff which makes everyone elses opinion useless right?
Get of your high horse and stop calling people a ****ing idiot.
That pic isnt even about Kony or the situation in Uganda, its about the asshats that posted that movie on facebook to impress their buddies and one upping themselves over how concerned they are about Africa while they really dont give a ****.
After the movie is posted they go back to eating burgers and drinking starbucks while looking for the new politically correct Viral Video to impress their douchebag friends on facebook.

You are not smarter then everyone else on her and the fact that you know more about Uganda only says u have different interests then most people.
I try to keep up with a lot of stuff concerning global politics, but ill be the first to admit that most of what I know about Uganda comes from Lord of War (yes Im talking about the movie), maybe I just dont care about the place and im not that interested. Maybe Im just an asshole who knows.
But the fact that you do know about it doesnt make u a fukking saint.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
That pic isnt even about Kony or the situation in Uganda, its about the asshats that posted that movie on facebook to impress their buddies and one upping themselves over how concerned they are about Africa while they really dont give a ****.
As opposed to impressing your friends on facebook with how much cooler you are than those asshats by posting a snarky picture?

Sorry dude, but ****ting on people who care about human atrocities is ****ty. Doing it on facebook is pathetic. Don't cry because you got called out about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As opposed to impressing your friends on facebook with how much cooler you are than those asshats by posting a snarky picture?

Sorry dude, but ****ting on people who care about human atrocities is ****ty. Doing it on facebook is pathetic. Don't cry because you got called out about it.
he's not trying to be a dick, he's calling out people for feigning outrage on the internet and being armchair activists. especially over events that aren't exactly breaking news. i know i sound cynical when i say this, but its not like human rights atrocities and genocide in africa should be that surprising to anyone these days.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Misguided or not, that's millions of people aware of an issue that weren't previously. 99% won't do a thing. 1% will. That's 10s of thousands of folks who will dig in and either directly help, contribute to good NGOs, or pressure their governments to action. This is how **** happens. It's not efficient, but in a world of comfort that's what it takes.

Invisible Children is a bunch of misguided white saviors, but they actually did a ****ing great job of creating a campaign. The folks that were reached and who actually care will pretty quickly get to the realities of the situation. You could have posted this or this to your Facebook, which would have been productive and helped direct this newfound energy. Instead you chose to post something that shames people who felt something, and discourages anyone from ever getting involved in a cause. So you could look cool to your friends.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Misguided or not, that's millions of people aware of an issue that weren't previously. 99% won't do a thing. 1% will. That's 10s of thousands of folks who will dig in and either directly help, contribute to good NGOs, or pressure their governments to action. This is how **** happens. It's not efficient, but in a world of comfort that's what it takes.

Invisible Children is a bunch of misguided white saviors, but they actually did a ****ing great job of creating a campaign. The folks that were reached and who actually care will pretty quickly get to the realities of the situation. You could have posted this or this to your Facebook, which would have been productive and helped direct this newfound energy. Instead you chose to post something that shames people who felt something, and discourages anyone from ever getting involved in a cause. So you could look cool to your friends.
a great job? you sure about that?

Uganda on Friday warned against misrepresenting the threat posed by rebels there after a Internet campaign to bring indicted war criminal Joseph Kony to justice went viral.
"Uganda welcomes all campaigns which seek to raise awareness and highlight the plight of people affected by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA)" rebels, the government said in a statement.
"We are grateful for renewed efforts which seek to contribute to the arrest of Joseph Kony and the elimination of the LRA from the Central African Region.
"The Government of Uganda however, would strongly urge that any awareness campaign fully takes into consideration the current realities of the situation."
An Internet-based video campaign to bring Kony to justice has attracted millions of viewers.
The hashtag "#stopkony," about the fugitive head of the rebel group, has surged on Twitter and the 30-minute video has been viewed by over 40 million people in barely three days.
The people behind the campaign however have had to defend themselves against accusations that it oversimplifies the facts.
"Misinterpretations of media content may lead some people to believe that the LRA is currently active in Uganda," said the government in Kampala.
"It must be clarified that at present the LRA is not active in any part of Uganda.
"Successfully expelled by the Ugandan Peoples Defence Forces in mid-2006, the LRA has retreated to dense terrain within bordering countries in the Central African area.

"They are a diminished and weakened group with numbers not exceeding 300." The government statement said "the threat posed by the LRA in our neighboring countries is considerably reduced and we are hopeful that it will be altogether eliminated with the help of US logistical support".
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jzRM6ehjmVVCZnqpW0cZP71axE9w?docId=CNG.524e6f7b2b8480aa5a92b13164d02a18.211

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
now, i'm not trying to say we should just forget about him now that he's hiding in another country, by all means find the fvcker and put him to death, but if you're going to be upset about something, be upset over current and accurate information.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
a great job? you sure about that?
We're talking about it, aren't we?

30-minute video has been viewed by over 40 million people in barely three days.
After literally decades of ignored conflict, this campaign has shoved Uganda to the center of Western consciousness. Terrible information, great campaign.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We're talking about it, aren't we?

After literally decades of ignored conflict, this campaign has shoved Uganda to the center of Western consciousness. Terrible information, great campaign.
how can you call it a great campaign when its based on poor information? yes it raised awareness, but is that a good thing considering how much the US military likes to intervene in other countries affairs? I can't help but question whether the bad information was just from questionably competent journalism, or if it was deliberately misleading...

<from here out on things get :tinfoil:>

The timing of it just seems too suspect. US Military presence is winding down in Iraq, and preparations are being made to do the same in Afghanistan. The MIC (military industrial complex) is too big financially right now and our economy still in too bad of shape to simply cease armed conflict. That, plus tens of thousands of trained soldiers going home to an increasing unemployment rate? Recipe for disaster. This whole campaign reeks of an attempt to generate support for african occupation.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
10s of thounds of people are gonna actively try to fix this mess thats to intricate for all of us to understand to begin with?
Gimme a break. None of this is gonna make a difference and people will have forgotten about it in two weeks.
Even if it does make a difference, that doesnt make it less hypocritical to post a movie on fb about human rights jst to look cool to ur friends. Thats what the pic is about.

But my post wasnt even about that.
It was about you coming in on your high horse calling us fukking idiots for it.
Somehow you think youre so much better then everyone else around here because you know about Uganda.
Big fukking deal. Ill let you in a secret.
Most people dont know much about it because they dont ****ing care.
Ive said it before and ill say it again. And no 30min movie on someones fb is gonna convince me otherwise.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
10s of thounds of people are gonna actively try to fix this mess thats to intricate for all of us to understand to begin with?
Not all of us. Just you.

But my post wasnt even about that.
It was about you coming in on your high horse calling us fukking idiots for it.
Somehow you think youre so much better then everyone else around here because you know about Uganda.
Nope, I don't know much about Uganda*. I just hate haters. They suck the life and energy out of everything around them because it's an easy way to look cool. There were countless ways you could have added to the conversation. In the absence of that, you could have said nothing. Instead you chose to belittle and shame, for no purpose except to impress your FB friends.

Apparently it hurt your tender feelings when I called you a "****ing idiot." How do you think it felt to be one of the ones who was touched by the movie to have their peers call them ****ing idiots for feeling anything?

*case in point, this whole IC fiasco pushed me to learn about Uganda. See, mission accomplished.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
case in point, this whole IC fiasco pushed me to learn about Uganda. See, mission accomplished.
unfortunately, not everyone took the time to dig deeper to learn the facts. Most people just copypasta'd the video.

some people didn't even watch the whole thing. on FB i even saw some idiot post that they needed to "stop kony, because no president should act like that"

:facepalm:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I dont need an easy way to make me look cool, i just speak my mind. If you dont like it and call me a ****ing idiot then youre not much better then me in the first place are you?
This **** has been going on forever in Africa but now people jump on the bandwagon because it makes them look cool on facebook.
But go ahead and think people actually give a **** if that helps you sleep at night.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That too, but Iran is a major factor in US presence.
Preperations to "stabelize" Iran have been in full force for years and I doubt Iran will give in to this.
If anything, I think it might get a lot worse before troops leave that part of the world.
the only reason anyone gives a fvck about iran is because they are pursuing nuclear technology and don't want to play nice with IAEA, the UN, etc.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I dont think thats the only thing. But indeed for that alone they are a major concern to the US and the entire "West".
Iran is also trying to destabilize the region with its political influence, they are a major force even without nuclear power.

CarChkka

Chimp
Mar 11, 2012
Boise, ID
Kevin has a serious point here though. The majority of our society today doesn't really care about anything more than their daily agenda. It happens all the time, we watch the news almost every day and we are exposed to stories of parents murdering their girls boyfriend, a teen texting or on fb while driving dies, or stories of war crimes being committed and then we go back to whatever we were doing before turning on the tv.
my sister in law came over for help with her hw today and she has a kony 2012 sticker on her binder. I asked if she even watched the video she said "no I just wanted a free sticker"
Then my sister said she knows nothing about it but heard people talking about it and she asked me what it is.. I started explaining the basics of what the video is about and what's really going on and she cut me off to ask if frostwire is a safe program for free music...

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Congratulations on your snark, but if you think that pic is remotely accurate let alone useful, you're a ****ing idiot without the basic knowledge or expertise necessary to even begin commenting on this topic or Kony.
Seriously, **** yourself if you can't take a joke. And **** yourself if you can.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
*case in point, this whole IC fiasco pushed me to learn about Uganda. See, mission accomplished.
:confused:

It's not like people don't know that sh!t in Africa is fvcked and innocent children are dying every day. Look at the Darfur conflict. Everyone knows about it, nobody cares.

Personally my reaction to the Kony vid was because I am sick of all the "viral" news pieces on FB that turn out to be either half truths or complete BS. I take infomercial style news with a grain of salt.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I watched the vid since I got tired of all the hub bub on FB. then looked into a bit further.

the officials in uganda are pretty upset about the whole campaign since the premise of the video depicts life more the 6 years ago in the country.

seems like the video was a good idea but just way too late and now seems to be a social media train running off the rails.

I am just wondering who is going to clean up the giant mess of flyers, banners, stickers and crap floating around the cities come april.