Quantcast

Kula 2-9

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Just finished the second weekend riding my Kona Kula 2-9. I'm in love. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. It was a little muddy in places and the logs were a little slick but she motored on through. I am a total convert. Don't know what took me so long:bonk:

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
18" scandium frame w/adjustable dropouts so going ss is super easy. 72.3 degree ha w/85mm Reba that I'm going to set at 100mm of travel

Feb 13, 2006
the 29 bug is infectious and it tends to blind a rider to all those 26" wheeled MTBs that the rider may own. I haven't ridden the Kona 29" bikes but my On-One Inbred 29" is a blast. I've ridden it more than any of my 26" MTBs in the few weeks I've had it.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
18" scandium frame w/adjustable dropouts so going ss is super easy. 72.3 degree ha w/85mm Reba that I'm going to set at 100mm of travel
Jack how tall are you?

I just picked up a new 19" 2006 Unit 2-9 today and i fear it's too big...
i noticed they changed the geometries for 2007... maybe the 18" would be a better choice... and in Kula flavor..
nice rig. (anyone want an unridden Unit 2-9?:banghead: )

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I'm about 6' tall. The 18" fits me well and I think the 19" might be a touch big for me.

I know what you mean about being blinded. I've got an 07 Coilair Supreme that I thought I really had to have just sitting here waiting to be ridden. I'm having more fun on the 29'r for just out and out riding.:happydance:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm currently without a mtb right now, but when I get on my GF's Schwinn it feels really weird with the smaller wheels. It feels as though I'm sitting up on top of the bike rather than centered in it so to speak.

Does anyone get that same sensation when switching back and forth between their 29er and their 26er?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm currently without a mtb right now, but when I get on my GF's Schwinn it feels really weird with the smaller wheels. It feels as though I'm sitting up on top of the bike rather than centered in it so to speak.

Does anyone get that same sensation when switching back and forth between their 29er and their 26er?
Who the hell switches back and fourth?

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
My 13 year old (6'+) is trying to convence me to ride the coilair this weekend so he can ride the big wheel. He rides around doing wheelies across the parking lot on it in the afternoons. I think for trail riding we may have another convert soon.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I have quit racing dh but still dable a little. My son and the rest of the folks that ride out of the shop let me wrench, drive shuttle and go slowly over obstacles with them. I am currently waiting on a 4" travel fr 29'r frame as an all-mtn frame. Your fork setups interest me.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I have quit racing dh but still dable a little. My son and the rest of the folks that ride out of the shop let me wrench, drive shuttle and go slowly over obstacles with them. I am currently waiting on a 4" travel fr 29'r frame as an all-mtn frame. Your fork setups interest me.

do you have a fork?
i'm selling my white groove. it has 5.5'' of travel.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
wow, those look sweet...

as soon as i can sell my Unit 2-9 frame i'm getting a Kula...

:spam: anyone want a NEW 19" Unit 2-9 frame?:spam:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Time for a ride review...Kona Kula 2-9 (box stock except for E-13 bashring)

I recently was able to sneak away with Lumberjack's Kula :brows: and managed to get about 3.5 hours of trail time on it. I road the Kula on trails that are full of technical roots, rocks, rolling ups and downs with many tight and twisty turns. Trail conditions were tacky/moist with some early season puddles, roots and rocks allready have a start of PNW winter slime. With the exception of the BMX track I hate riding hardtails...:disgust:

Big wheels are neat and it was amazing how fast you roll up on riders in front of you. It really doesn't matter what terrain either as long as you try to carry momentum. I found that it was best to enter corners and technical terrain much the same way you would with a DH bike, off the brakes. With a 26" bike you can get snappy excelleration up to mid speed and from there you progressively work harder. With the 29r you are better off in the mid speed to high speed range where it excellerates crisply like the 26" does a slow speeds. Very strange feeling when your pedaling more gear inches but feel like you are spinning out easier.:brow:

If it sounds like I didn't like the Kula at low speed, that is untrue. The Kula geometry allows for very tight technical riding. Steep head angle with the stability of 29" wheels made my time relaxed and enjoyable. The Kula can make all the turns, logs, hills I normally ride. What I have found with 29" wheels is that they will do pretty much anything the smaller wheels do they just feel sluggish in technical terrain. The Kula 2-9 geometry takes some of that feeling away. 29" wheels reward smoothness in technique and the Kula frame adds a snappy feel back in.

I thought I was going to take a beating riding the hard tail but after my ride I felt like I could go another three hours, no prob. What worried me most about this hardtail was the scandium frame which in some frames are just down right painful. This frame felt completely stable (very stiff) but the wheels took the edge off of pretty much every thing and for the most part felt glued to the ground. Wheel deflection also seem to feel slow compared to a 26".

This bike likes to climb! I don't like to climb. :disgust1: Did I tell you this bike likes to climb? :biggrin:

I only have 3 complaints with this bike as ridden stock:

1) Grips.....personal preference for Lockons but nothing really wrong with the grips.
2) Shimano hubs......the only real mechanical weakness of this bike....the stock hubs allow enough lateral flex that they detrack from the overall performance of the entire bike. If I was to keep this bike the stock wheels would become my commuter/backup set....nothing wrong with the rims, spokes or tires, just the hubs. Would I say not to buy one because of the hubs..... no way I am just very picky about things like that. :clue:
3) I don't have one and I don't think the wife will let my have another bike :shocked: so I will just need to keep sneaking it out of the shop :brows: but that may prove to be difficult because nobody can get it away from Lumberjack's son.

I know I know, I said I don't like hardtails but I do like this one and plan on racing one next year in a couple of 4hr races. I am also looking forward to a squishy version of the 2-9 from Kona. Thank you to Bikeworks of Lake Stevens and Kona for getting me out on the Kula 2-9 this bike rocks. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Shimano Deore XT which through experience I am not a big fan of on any bike.

Frame sizes 16", 18",19", 20", 22"
Frame tubing Kona Scandium Race Butted
Fork RockShox REBA SL 29er 85mm travel
Braze-on fittings 2 bottles, rear disc mount
Headset FSA ORBIT DL
Crankarms Race Face Deus XC X-Type
Chainrings 44/32/22
B/B Race Face Deus XC X-Type
Pedals Shimano PD-M505 Clipless
Chain Shimano CN-HG73
Freewheel Shimano DEORE LX (11-32t, 9speed)
F/D Shimano Deore XT
R/D Shimano Deore XT
Shifters Shimano Deore XT
Handlebar Easton EA50 OS Riser
Stem Easton EA50 OS
Grips Kona RACE LIGHT
Brakes HAYES HFX-9 XC
Brake Levers HAYES HFX-9 XC
Front hub Shimano HB-525 Disc
Rear hub Shimano FH-525 Disc
Spokes DT 14g front and rear stainless
Tires Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1
Rims Sun CR-18
Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp
Seatpost Easton EA50
Seat clamp Kona Clamp
Color Lilac/White

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Who the hell switches back and fourth?
I do. I am doing every other ride right now. 29er/Rigid/SS/25 lbs and then 26er/FS/Geary/37 lbs and its fun to duplicate the same ride because both bikes obviously have different handling characteristics.

Today I rode part of my regular workout loop for lunch on my 29er and hit some small up and overs for the first time. Cleaned them but I found that I had to really finess it over them, whereas on the 26er with full squish, its just up and over.

Rollers are fun to sample between the two bikes and while I really don't do drops with the 29er, if its there and I am on the 26er, I am going off of it.

Eventually, I will get a 29er with full squish but until that time I will have to make do with what I have.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I'm waiting till spring and then I'll pop for a 29 full squish. I want 4" of travel and that will be my all mountain bike.:monkeydance: At that point I'll bid farewell to my Coilair.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Next fall I might try to go full squish in the 29er category but I am also thinking about a little side project of a 69er. Depends largely on whether or not I can get the frame I want and whether or not it will even work. So, we'll see.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
We just made an older Fischer in to a 69'r and are making a new longer linkage to correct the geometry. It dropped the bb about 8/10ths of an inch. It climbs like a mountain goat.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Resurrecting an old thread.

Does anyone know what the true SEat tube angle on these is?

It can't be 75.3 or 74.3 like reported on the Kona site can it?

hooker_47

Chimp
Mar 2, 2007
Lost
I bought the Kula 2-9 as a frameset about a month ago, built it up, and have been riding the wheels off ever since. I can honestly say that the bike has made me a better rider. I went to Palmer Park (Colorado Springs) yesterday, and was able to clean many obstacles that I couldn't even attempt on my old 26". Also, I was able to carry a lot more speed through many of the corners and the rollers with much more confidence and stability. I really like this bike. I'm running the 16" frame as an SS.

I don't have an answer for the seat tube angle, but to make up for it, here is some eye candy from a ride I took a few days ago.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW

Snacks was rippin' the 08 29'r last weekend. Major changes for the frame was a new formed down tube.
Hayes Carbon Stoker brakes.The component changes were the newer Shimano shifters, Easton bars,stem and post were replaced with FSA.
The Sun CR-18 rims were replaced with the new Sun EQ 2.3 rims

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Something new from our friends at Mavic TN 719 disc
get these laced up yet? Are they UST Compatible?

I just, FINALLY, Got my C29ssmax's and am wondering if it's the same sort of deal with the 26" crossmax and the 819's.