Quantcast

Kumar got robbed at gunpoint!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TMZ has learned Kal Penn -- aka Kumar from that "White Castle" movie -- was robbed at gunpoint early this morning while walking in a neighborhood in Washington D.C.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Penn claims a man carrying a gun approached him around 1:20 AM and took his wallet and other personal property.

We're told Penn immediately reported the incident to authorities, who have launched an investigation into the matter.

Multiple calls to Penn's rep were not returned.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/20/kal-penn-house-robbed-gunpoint-washington-dc-georgetown-kumar-white-castle/#ixzz0lezjH1bi

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wonder if this will have repercussions on gun control, now that one of the libs were held up at gunpoint.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were 4.46 (P<.05) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, this adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.45 (P<.05).
i can very much believe this. awareness needs to be practiced more than hitting paper plates @ 20 ft. in fact, then you likely won't even 'need' a gun.

i watch this show, it's unintentionally very funny for its uber paranoid content: http://www.downrange.tv/bestdefense/

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/AJPH.2008.143099v1

After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were 4.46 (P<.05) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, this adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.45 (P<.05).
Methods. We enrolled 677 case participants that had been shot in an assault and 684 population-based control participants within Philadelphia, PA, from 2003 to 2006. We adjusted odds ratios for confounding variables.
Fail.

Seriously, I've been held up once and fought off an intruder in my apartment. Both times they had me surprised.

I could have shot the robber in the back and the intruder I just launched a kick down a staircase.

Unless I walk around with my hand on my pistol, I can see it being less than useful. If I recognize a situation when I should pull a gun, I could easily just run away.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Fail.

Seriously, I've been held up once and fought off an intruder in my apartment. Both times they had me surprised.

I could have shot the robber in the back and the intruder I just launched a kick down a staircase.

Unless I walk around with my hand on my pistol, I can see it being less than useful. If I recognize a situation when I should pull a gun, I could easily just run away.
Very true. But what about fatties who can't run away. They'll have to learn how to dig their 9mm out of their flab folds quickly.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the other part of this article is that I bet almost none of the Philly gun owners shot were in legal possession of a gun. This would also presume is that they were also "nefarious" types, such as drug dealers and Eagles fans.

I found the entire article, and I noticed they make no mention of Concealed Carry Permit holders. And their sample, 53% had prior arrests, which would almost always disqualify them from being legal gun owners.

So the conclusion I draw is this sampling is about what happens when criminals shoot other criminals, not what happens when legal gun owners minding their own business are threatened.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
He was apparently mugged in Dupont, one of the nicer neighborhoods in DC.
errmmm....i think it might be known not so much for its target rich environment, but the expected lack of resistance among the locals. you think the mugger thought he was cruising? but where this happened - 15th & S - isn't exactly the fruit loop, is it? i used to work at 14th & R, and that was far less safe than dupont circle area. what a difference 8 blocks can make.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
i used to work at 14th & R, and that was far less safe than dupont circle area. what a difference 8 blocks can make.
How long ago was this? Downtown DC is a very different place than it used to be, even from just a few years ago. Although, as this incident highlights, not that different in some ways.

In that area, the demarcation line between what I would consider safe and sketchy has moved east and is now around 7-9th and north of Rhode Island Ave.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So the conclusion I draw is this sampling is about what happens when criminals shoot other criminals, not what happens when legal gun owners minding their own business are threatened.
Missing the point. Even if it's 100% criminals, the criminals without guns were way less likely to get shot.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I thought handguns were illegal in the D.C.?

Oh well I'm sure it's an isolated case, the Perp would just plain dumb for bringing a handgun into a no gun zone.
Possession of a handgun is no longer illegal in DC, but firearms can only be kept in the home and used there for self defense.

I don't think any perp using a firearm in a criminal act is going to be mindful of the current gun laws. But I agree that it's most likely a random case. I doubt the perp had any idea who he was.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Missing the point. Even if it's 100% criminals, the criminals without guns were way less likely to get shot.
Ok, when I have gangs/mafia chasing after me, I'll be sure to leave my guns at home.

What about legal citizens who were shot? With or without handgun?

What about legal citizens who fought/scared off potential attacks?

Not that I am big fan of carry, concealed or otherwise, but here's one where having a handgun would have changed things:

A San Francisco man who was beaten on an Oakland street died today, a day after two 18-year-old men were arrested on suspicion of attacking him, police said.

Tian Sheng Yu, 59, had been in Oakland's Highland Hospital since he was attacked Friday afternoon in the Uptown neighborhood after asking the assailants why they had punched his son.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/20/BAR71D1FS3.DTL#ixzz0lgSjgbQy

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ok, when I have gangs/mafia chasing after me, I'll be sure to leave my guns at home.

What about legal citizens who were shot? With or without handgun?

What about legal citizens who fought/scared off potential attacks?
You think it matters to the mugger if the gun you're pulling out is legal or not?

I'm sure your generic counterexamples happen, however, the stats seem to indicate that for every one of those there are a bunch of times where it works out badly...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You think it matters to the mugger if the gun you're pulling out is legal or not?

I'm sure your generic counterexamples happen, however, the stats seem to indicate that for every one of those there are a bunch of times where it works out badly...
When I first read that the study was done solely in Philadelphia, I knew there would be something hinkey about its conclusions.

Analyzing gun possession from a sampling of mostly criminals I feel is not applicable to legal gun owners.

There are no dealers, loansharks, or ganstas "gunning" for me. The threat of violence is most likely will come from a stranger looking to rob me.

So I question the value of these statistics as it applies to gun control.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
When I first read that the study was done solely in Philadelphia, I knew there would be something hinkey about its conclusions.

Analyzing gun possession from a sampling of mostly criminals I feel is not applicable to legal gun owners.

There are no dealers, loansharks, or ganstas "gunning" for me. The threat of violence is most likely will come from a stranger looking to rob me.

Thank you.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
'89/'90 (IGE messenger svcs - long since gone)
isn't that near howard? :dead: :ph34r:
Yeah, the entire area around Logan Circle and U Street was cleaned up and gentrified about ten years ago. It's all upscale townhouses and condos now with a very vibrant bar and restaurant scene. Not to say street crime there has been eradicated but on a whole that entire area is thriving. I guarantee you wouldn't recognize the place if you haven't been back since.

Even the area around Howard University has improved by leaps and bounds. The corridor going up Georgia Ave is still sketchy but for the most part that whole area rebounded years ago.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

This isn't a survey about the threat of violence. It's a survey about what happens when one person with a gun interacts with a person who is either armed with a gun or not.

Two guns=more shootings.

A stranger looking to rob you is the same situation. I don't know why you're having trouble understanding this.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
A stranger looking to rob you is the same situation. I don't know why you're having trouble understanding this.
No, the motivators and dynamics of criminal v. criminal violence are completely different...

Motivators? Gang rivalry, territorial disputes, respect, initiation...

Dynamics? Approach vectors, distance, posturing, escalation, and so on...