Quantcast

labor prices at your shop

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Due to overwhelming requests in the valley I live in, I think I am going to start a home based mechanic/tuning shop. So many people in our town are not pleased with local shop offerings and I have an extra garage, the tools, the know how and the connections to order spare parts etc...
I have not worked at shops since early 90's (spent all the time after working for race teams and doing team management) so I am not familiar with bicycle tuning labor prices.
Feel free to post links in here of labor prices or what you pay for certain jobs from your local mechanic.

Thanks

Blockhead

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
No clue, but props and good luck. I used to have the best basement mechanic. Kid could tune a bike better than any local LBS, always knew exactly what parts you needed becasue he was into the same type of riding so you never had to go through the 3 weeks w/o a bike because the shop ordered the wrong thing, or wanted to wait to place an order till they had more things to get because they want to save a few bucks on shipping. Or my personal fav. let the new kid work on the bike. The list goes on and on, Im ranting, but it sounds like you get it

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'm the cheapest shop in my area and we get $40 an hour. People need to remember that pays for lights, taxes, rent/mortgage, a hourly employee, mistakes and follow-up issues and most of all, especially for your considerations- INSURANCE. The clock is always ticking for bill collectors. People may think $20 jobs are great until a "friend" sues you because they got hurt after you fixed their bike. Make sure you are insured and I don't think homeowners will cover you.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I had the EXACT same idea, but due to getting a business lisence to get a distributing deal, it just became more of a hassel than anything else. Basically, while on rides, I tell them for a garenteed cheaper price, I will fix their stuff. Sometimes free since it is a passion of mine.

Good luck, and make sure your always making a profite and not spending to much and not making enough... I know, it's a given, but hooking to many people up can kill you in the long run.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Damn... ya'lls shops are expensive... Ours don't charge by time, we charge by job. It my garage/shop, I just charge by when I fix. If it takes longer than an hour, I'm just being slow. If something is broken on their bike, and I have to fix it, like a stripped bolt,(we all know how much those suck), I will charge a little extra because the stress level.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Damn... ya'lls shops are expensive... Ours don't charge by time, we charge by job. It my garage/shop, I just charge by when I fix. If it takes longer than an hour, I'm just being slow. If something is broken on their bike, and I have to fix it, like a stripped bolt,(we all know how much those suck), I will charge a little extra because the stress level.
I think home mechanics will do just as good, sometimes better than the bike shops.

Labor rates are obviously based on overhead, but skill will take a part. I can true wheels in less than 10 minutes and bleed most brakes in the same time (actually most of my bleeds are from DIY'ers who couldn't do it right. I am not good enough to true wheels after someone mucked it himself).

I have seen the owner perform some miracles, like straighten aluminum bits or diagnose something impossible, which has to be worth a high labor rate.

But besides that, I think a high labor rate does involve the professional tools that only the best shops possess. The owner has some crazy tools, stuff that I have no idea what they do. The one thing I was mentioning to a pro manager who lives in our town was the JA Stein BB tools, something I doubt many shops have:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
rates quoted, or at least the one i posted, is general. our tune-ups go $40, $70, $110, and $175. the latter 3 take more time than we charge for. we charge $35 to build wheels...i don't know anyone who can build a wheel in 30mins. we try to keep it around $60/hr.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
$60 a hour in the Bay Area.
That sounds about right.

It's a good idea to just call around in your area and ask an estimate on a (fill in imaginary repair here) that you think would take approx 1 hour.

Then step it down a bit considering you aren't paying employee wages, shop rent, etc.

I would do $35 - $40 an hour as an "introductory" price to reel in some customers, then let the word of mouth speak for itself and up your prices.

BTW - for all of those doubting where this could go:

http://www.wrenchscience.com/Company/AboutUs/TimMedina.aspx?stylecode=M

Tim started in his garage and by 1998 (when I met him) his business was thriving.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
We charge 30$ an hour 1 hour min charge labor. we are in a poor market mostly crap bikes. $35.00 plus parts to build a wheel. 15-25 to true a wheel, $5.00 if I have to wash the mud off to work on it. Tune up generly run $39.00 to $69.00

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
A tuneup (clean and lube everything, true wheels, adjust dereilleurs and brakes as nessicary, check hub/headset/bb bearings and adjust as nessicary, check entire bike over) runs about $30, give or take a little based on how much work needed to be done. $20 per wheel for wheel builds. Quick things like dereilleur adjustments, wheel truing, etc are $5-10. For what it's worth, we're primarily dealing with road bikes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I hate working on dirty bikes. Good to charge an extra $5 for cleaning.
I can deal with some dirt, but the people that really drive me nuts are the ones that seem to drench their chains in crude oil, and then don't wipe any off. A former mechanic used to make those people buy a new chain, rather than deal with the crap they put on it.