Quantcast

Lacing 20" 32H wheel for my 6yo

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I bought my 6yo a used Specialized 24" MTB that is a bit too bit for him to ride off road. I have an older set of disc hubs and thought about building him some 20" wheels since the frame and fork at disc ready. I have all the parts in my part bin to do this pretty easily. However when I started to calculate spoke lengths I have having a hard time finding the lengths I need for a 2 or 3 cross wheel in 20" given the hubs I have. Could I radial lace these wheels and be okay? Of course he weights nothing and can't ride hard enough to do any damage, but what do you suggest?

Hubs are I9 J-Bend and the rims I am looking at are Sun CR-18 32H.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I guess if he doesn't weigh anything it might be ok, if he gets in to doing mad skidz it may wind up a bit.

It's not the best solution but you can cut more thread on the spokes and cut them to length and do your normal pattern.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Are you saying you can't actually figure out the length, or that you can't find spokes? You should be able to calculate the length regardless and if needed, have the spokes custom cut by a shop with a Phil Wood spoke cutter.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I know the lengths, but I can't source the required lengths a for a 2 or 3 cross.

Our pitiful town doesn't have a cutter.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
don't lace radially if he's going to use the disc brakes.

My local shop (golden bike shop) will cut spokes to length, as will go-ride. Maybe it's worth ordering them?