Quantcast

Lahr Cycles - Any News ?

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hi, do any of you know what's up with Derek Lahr? A young guy who designed and made his own CVT gearbox. His web site is turned off.

This has been his first prototype:

Gearbox detail:

Last edited:

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i wanna say i read somewhere that he's just focusing on school. still riding his bike, but mostly just doing the school thing. he's super nice. i talked to him at interbike a few years back. seemed pretty solid

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wasn't the original honda box a CVT? Did minrawr complain because it was funky, so they switched it back to click shift gears?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wasn't the original honda box a CVT? Did minrawr complain because it was funky, so they switched it back to click shift gears?
I think they tried it, but realized it was too much $$$ for a bunch of one offs. Doesn't mean it couldn't be done properly. Then they just went to DIAB. Which is not the same as a gboxx.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Last I heard from him, he was still in Blacksburg, VA. So probably still working on that masters/phd? and building dirt jumps on the farm. You could get in touch with him through the vt freeride club if you wanted to.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
What rule to be exact? I'm kinda sick and in the middle of exam session so I may not remember right but that rule would allow normal gearbox and not cvt?
IIRC correctly there is a rule in there somewhere that outlaws automatic shifting. CVT was considered automatic shifting (probably with the help of a rival team or two) and was therefore against the rules.

The intarweb told me, so it must be true...... :think:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
What rule to be exact? I'm kinda sick and in the middle of exam session so I may not remember right but that rule would allow normal gearbox and not cvt?
UCI insist that the bike have a set number of gears, a cvt would be fine as long as you got round this by limiting the number of gear ratios that can be selected.

Frasier posted the exact rule up here but ill be darned if im going to search for it :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have you ever ridden either one?
Got to ride a Rohloff and a G-boxx before, but seeing as how cvt's are kinda rare (isn't nuVinci the only CVT that is actually available to the public?), alas I have not. Some of the wrenches I used to work with had some parking lot tests on them and were pretty impressed, but didn't have experience on something like an IG hub to do a direct comparison.

edit: FTR my original comment was my way of saying that the gboxx wasn't that great.

Last edited:

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Wow, great to see him doing well! I talked with him for a good 30 minutes at the show when he had his bike on display, he's a smart kid (obviously) that was super passionate and knowledgeable about what he knew and wanted to do. The frame was incredible in person, I hope to see it make production one day!

I did shift the "gears" on an open display model that he had on a table, it was pretty neat!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Got to ride a Rohloff and a G-boxx before, but seeing as how cvt's are kinda rare (isn't nuVinci the only CVT that is actually available to the public?), alas I have not. Some of the wrenches I used to work with had some parking lot tests on them and were pretty impressed, but didn't have experience on something like an IG hub to do a direct comparison.

edit: FTR my original comment was my way of saying that the gboxx wasn't that great.
I installed a NuVinci in a guys recumbent and in a ladies recumbent trike. They love them. However, I think they feel like crap. It's somewhat hard to tell a difference in the gearing as you twist through the gripshift. It is noticable, but not enough to make the weight(hub, short 140mm spokes and 20" velocity Aeroheat rim was 10lbs) and drag worth it.
Rohloff on the other hand was much better. I would like to build a bike around. While still weighty itself, the quality and efficiency is FAR superior. It has a larger gear range lower low and higher high if I remember correctly.

-Kevin

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
that thing is a true work of art. I have seen it before on teh interweb, but it still is worth seeing. Thousands of hours there. Not to mention $$ for all that machining. I hope he continues it.