Quantcast

Lance gets 5th

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow - Iban Mayo beat him by almost 2 minutes today in the uphill Le Mont Ventoux of today's Dauphiné Libéré!!!!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Lance was 4 seconds faster than he ever had been.

Tyler came in with a new course record.

Mayo came in after that even faster! New record on the mountain.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Lance might have a tough time with #6 this year from the stuff I have been reading.

(I don't follow too much except for the TDF)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Hopefully this is a sign that the TDF will be interesting this year and ont just USPS annihilating the competition.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Tenchiro said:
Hopefully this is a sign that the TDF will be interesting this year and ont just USPS annihilating the competition.
Yah, last year was the first crack - it wasn't at all USPS controlling the whole time. This year should be even more action packed. Man, I still wish him the best and I'd love to see him get 6!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Heidi said:
Yah, last year was the first crack - it wasn't at all USPS controlling the whole time. This year should be even more action packed. Man, I still wish him the best and I'd love to see him get 6!
I hear ya, it would be cool to see that but it would be nice if it wasn't such a blowout. On the other hand I have a new appreciation of the individual stage wins, there is so much action and drama in the last few miles. It kind of makes up for everything else.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Tenchiro said:
I hear ya, it would be cool to see that but it would be nice if it wasn't such a blowout. On the other hand I have a new appreciation of the individual stage wins, there is so much action and drama in the last few miles. It kind of makes up for everything else.
last year wasnt even CLOSE to being a blow out. it came all the way down to the final 'real' stage, the time trial. it was ulrich's race to win but with the bad conditions it just wasnt meant to be. had the day been fair there's no telling.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Heidi said:
Psychological, that has to hurt him.
I think Lance is tough enough mentally to trust in the training regimen Carmichael has him on, and that he's right where he needs to be in training for the TDF. No one knows how to prepare for the TDF better than the Carmichael / Armstrong duo. Not that it's in the bag, but I'd say chances for a TDF win are no better or worse this year than last.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
El Jefe said:
I think Lance is tough enough mentally to trust in the training regimen Carmichael has him on, and that he's right where he needs to be in training for the TDF. No one knows how to prepare for the TDF better than the Carmichael / Armstrong duo. Not that it's in the bag, but I'd say chances for a TDF win are no better or worse this year than last.
I don't know. If I'd been training like crazy, just 3 weeks before the TdF and I had put 100% into a TT and gotten beat by 2 minutes, I'd be worried. I bet he won't sleep well tonight.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Well, it's one thing to win on Ventoux on day 4 of a 6 day race, but it's another thing to win on Alpe d'Huez halfway through a 21 stage tour.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Mayo can't TT. He's going to lose 2 minutes in the team TT, so I can't see him being that big a threat for the GC. When's the last time a pure climber won the TDF? With the exception of Pantani, everyone I can remember watching (Armstrong, Indurain, Riis, Lemond, Ulrich) was a strong time trialist as well as a decent climber.

GizmoInc

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Vancouver BC
hi

I wouldn't worry to much about the time difference since this is just training for his one big race (tour).

he is just building up to the tour de france.

my 2 cents

GizmoInc

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What cracks me up is Lance always gets tons of flack about Doping, although there has never been any concrete proof of it, while other top roadies that have been caughted and punished but no one seems to look upon them like they did anything wrong.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
what about the new Team TT rule? a team can only lose by 2 1/2 minutes. what a crock of ****. man they can totally lay up and take the day off and be fresh for the next days stage.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Westy said:
What cracks me up is Lance always gets tons of flack about Doping, although there has never been any concrete proof of it, while other top roadies that have been caughted and punished but no one seems to look upon them like they did anything wrong.

He adits to using a banned steroid in his first book. But he was cleared of the usage as part of his treatment.

It's funny how low the frence will stoop to try and get someone other than an American to win.

I don't think Lance will do it this year, there are just to many other riders that are so good now. Not to mention all of the training distractions, Sheryl, The Lance Cronicles, Press, History, but I will still root for him. And Tyler second, so the frence can damn his name too.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
eh... he'll be ready for the tour

by the way, i picked up a copy of the new grahm watson/ lance armstrong book last night, called something about a champion- its REALLY good. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hawkeye said:
He adits to using a banned steroid in his first book. But he was cleared of the usage as part of his treatment.

It's funny how low the frence will stoop to try and get someone other than an American to win.

I don't think Lance will do it this year, there are just to many other riders that are so good now. Not to mention all of the training distractions, Sheryl, The Lance Cronicles, Press, History, but I will still root for him. And Tyler second, so the frence can damn his name too.
Tyler looks strong this year, his whole team does. Interestingly Tylers weak point, handling, could have been what made the difference for lance last year.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Squeak said:
Lance was 4 seconds faster than he ever had been.

Tyler came in with a new course record.

Mayo came in after that even faster! New record on the mountain.
I heard he had the same time he had in 1999 but don;t forget they just re paved the road so the road has never been so smooth. I'll be very surprised if Lance wins I think Jan will win with Tyler and Mayo behind him and lance in 4th. ;)

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
Jan won't be much of a threat unless he has a healthy team

Monday's EuroFile: Vino' out of Tour; Hunter scores win in Switzerland
By AFP
This report filed June 14, 2004

T-Mobile's Alexandre Vinokourov has pulled out of next month's Tour de France after a fall during the Tour of Switzerland over the weekend, spokesmen for his team confirmed Monday.

"Vinokourov won't be on the Tour," team spokesman Matthias Schumann told AFP.

Vinokourov, 30, suffered several torn ligaments to his right shoulder after the fall during the second stage of the Tour of Switzerland on Sunday and will remain hospitalized for a further two days.

He was also forced out of the Tour de France two years ago with injury.

"It's a very difficult period for him because he was getting stronger," said team spokesman Olaf Ludwig.

Ludwig said it would be three weeks before Vinokourov gets back on a bike and that it was too early to say whether the rider would make the Olympic Games in eight weeks time.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Even with out Vino Jan was a huge threat last year with a terrible team and now Lance has a weaker team and Jan has a much stronger team plus Jan is in better shape than expected and Lance is in the worste shape ever leading up to tour. Lance will need a seriuos doping program if he's going to win this year. :devil:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Nitromike said:
Funny, the latest results and pics of Jan, he looks fatter than ever before
get in my belly!!! man i saw a quick video clip of him and was really supprised. when they talke about being 'fat' i expected him to be like 10% body fat instead of the normal 2% (or what ever they run their really thin) but dude has a belly, a bigggggg belly.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Yeah he has a big belly because thats how you should breath when you're biking by expanding your belly more than your chest. You'll see pics of lance and he to has a big belly in some pics. Anyways we'll see what happens.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
All nuts.. when he fails a drug test I'll start throwing rocks, but he is doing something for cycling that has never been done before.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
JMAC said:
Yeah he has a big belly because thats how you should breath when you're biking by expanding your belly more than your chest. You'll see pics of lance and he to has a big belly in some pics. Anyways we'll see what happens.
dude i know how to breath, he's a big fat X taking pig.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm SO glad I'm not american and can respect riders from other countries than my own :eviltongu