Last bottle of world's oldest single malt whisky leaves Scotland

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Sounds yummy!

Last bottle of world's oldest single malt whisky leaves Scotland
Fri Feb 25

LONDON (AFP) - The last remaining bottle of the world's oldest single malt whisky left its distillery in Scotland bound for Hong Kong, where it will be the star attraction at an airport shop.

The bottle of Glenfiddich Rare Collection 1937, left to mature in a cask for 64 years before being bottled, is heading for Hong Kong's Chep Lap Kok Airport, where it will be available for a well-heeled buyer, but only at a steep cost.

Previous bottles sold direct by the family-owned Glenfiddich Distillery fetched 10,000 pounds (14,500 euros, 19,000 dollars) each, but the price levied by the airport is expected to be higher still.

"There are a lot of mixed emotions here," said the distillery's "malt master" David Stewart of the bottle, claimed as the oldest single malt whisky in the world.

"On the one hand, we're extremely proud of having produced a whisky of such a fantastic quality that's stood the test of time and on the other, there's a tinge of sadness at saying goodbye."

Sky Connection, which operates shops at Hong Kong airport, has bought the final six bottles of the 1937 malt, the last of which departed the distillery on Friday.

As they are so rare, the bottles are being sent in two batches.

Just 61 bottles, described as having "chocolate and treacle" flavours, were produced from the single cask and first released in 2001.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Dirt rider said:
sorry to sound like a fine drink Illiterate but what is a cask? and what its made of if you can store a liquid in it for 64 years.
Casks are wooden barrels. I think that Scotch producers use barrels that were previously used to hold wine, port, sherry, etc.

Generally made of oak.

-S.S.-

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SkaredShtles said:
Casks are wooden barrels. I think that Scotch producers use barrels that were previously used to hold wine, port, sherry, etc.

Generally made of oak.

-S.S.-
Yup, oak. Most age in barrels purchased from American bourbon distillers, then finish in port or sherry barrels.

I'm curious what this 64 y.o. scotch tastes like. Most of what I've read states that aging longer than 10-15 years really doesn't do much to the taste except "wooden" it.