Quantcast

"Last Chance For Glory" at Plattekill Bike Park - October 24-25

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Last Chance For Glory

The USAC New York State Downhill Championship Series Finals will be held at Plattekill Bike Park this weekend, October 24-25. Plattekill’s annual “Last Chance for Glory” Race will offer Double Series Points. This is the East Coast’s final race of the season. It will give racers a Last Chance to show what they’ve got in 2009 and an opportunity to show everyone what they’ll have in 2010. The Series Championship’s will be decided and Award’s will follow the event. If you’re competing in the series or just want to try to show up Plattekill Racers at their home mountain, this is the downhill place to be this weekend. Remember this is your “Last Chance for Glory” in 2009 !! But it’s not your last chance to ride, we’ll be open weekends until November 8th.

The Pro/Cat1 course, “UNHOLY” is one of the favorite trails at Plattekill Bike Park but has rarely been used as a race track. It’s a classic fall line trail, steep and tight with all that other good features that make Plattekill the place to race. Hang on for this speed ride it will be quick with a few bumps along the way.

The New Cat2/Cat3 race course will be fast and challenging. This will be the first time “da Bomb” will be used for a Cat2/3 race and will keep racers attention on keeping their speed. There will be easier options for Cat3 racers.

Both Tracks are on the Triple Chair side of the Park. So racers will be able to enjoy the sun earlier and later in the day.

Riders of all abilities will enjoy the scenic trails which offer everything from gentle trails thru the woods to the most hardcore trails found anywhere. Bring along the family to take a sky ride to the top to enjoy the fall foliage and watch the racers up close.

Plattekill offers the best value in Lift-Assisted riding: The $40 for 2 consecutive day pass. That’s right only $20 per day for riding the lifts up and riding the trails down. The Bike Park offers full bike and equipment rentals; all you have to do is show up. Guided tours and lessons for all abilities will be available for a small fee or just explore the vast terrain by yourself.

2009 Plattekill Bike Park Race Schedule
May 2-3 Race #1 DH
June 13-14 Race #2 DH&DS
July 25-26 Race #3 DH&DS
September 5-6 Race #4 DH&DS Double Points
September 19-20 Race #5 DH&DS
October 10-11 Race #6 DH&DS Gravity East Series #11 Finals
October 24-25 Race #7 Series Finals Double Points

Plattekill Bike Park will be OPEN weekends thru November 8th !!!!!

Plattekill Bike Park will be paying cash 3 deep -- $20 per racer entry in the Pro class and $10 per racer entry to all Cat1 classes. Payback will be given on the following percentage ratio basis; 55/30/15. Cat2 and Cat3 will receive sponsor-donated prizes as available. All classes will receive custom 2009 Plattekill Medals.

MORE CASH FOR ALL RACERS: On top of our cash payouts NEMA has partnered with us to pay CASH to the top three in ALL race classes through The NEMA Cash Contingency Program. The plan will pay pros $50/25/15 and Cat 1,2 & 3 will be paid $25/15/10 for those that wear a NEMA product and list them as a sponsor on our race entry sheet.

While upping the payouts ALL Race fees have been reduced to $70 for Pros, $60 for Cat1, while Cat2 & Cat3 Racers will pay only $45 !!!.

All race entries include a 2-day lift ticket

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Gonna try and make this one for real! Not sure if I'll have a vehicle or not...
Oh come on guy! You gotta make this one. The weather is gonna be beeeyoootiful, the DS course is prime, and both courses are classic Plattekill.
As an added bonus if you make it up I'll launch the new road gap again, but this time Ido will have the camera rolling. :thumb:

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I'm in. Last one got me hooked. If nothing fails in an epic manner this week, I should be there.

edit: according to the forecast (yeah i know it's useless at this point) it should be warmer than the last race weekend. Is this one a fri/sat/sun thing too? Or a deal on a friday ticket?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh come on guy! You gotta make this one. The weather is gonna be beeeyoootiful, the DS course is prime, and both courses are classic Plattekill.
As an added bonus if you make it up I'll launch the new road gap again, but this time Ido will have the camera rolling. :thumb:
Neil, I was able to get a backup ride on lock down, so I should be there. Gotta wrench the bike some this week first. Remind me to introduce you to my friend Sherlock ;)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Last Saturdays forecast for Sunday was 90% chance of rain/snow................It was sunny

Plattekill is open Sat and Sun only, thru November 8th
Now were TOTALLY cursed.....thanks for even MENTIONING the weather.....(now I have to ward off the curse by packing 4 rainjacketz!!!!)

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Other than 50mph wind gusts and driving rain the riding on Saturday was pretty grippy and the 60 degree weather wasn't bad. I prefered the sport course over the pro/expert.

Didn't want to play in the mud on Sunday so I got super duper drunk Saturday night and left at 9am sunday

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Other than 50mph wind gusts and driving rain the riding on Saturday was pretty grippy and the 60 degree weather wasn't bad. I prefered the sport course over the pro/expert.

Didn't want to play in the mud on Sunday so I got super duper drunk Saturday night and left at 9am sunday
Thanks for the beer, my favorite flavor. It was good drinking weather on saturday.

Updates and results.....very soon

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
it was an awesome race weekend, I took my first podium EVER!

BUT: someone decided it'd be great to pick up my Shoei VFX-W (moto helmet) and subsequently not turn it in. I DID leave it unattended, but seriously, cleaning up after a day of riding in the rain (saturday), who steals a helmet? I had to rent one to race.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

BUT: someone decided it'd be great to pick up my Shoei VFX-W (moto helmet) and subsequently not turn it in. I DID leave it unattended, but seriously, cleaning up after a day of riding in the rain (saturday), who steals a helmet? I had to rent one to race.
Congrats on your first podium!

Sucks about losing your helmet.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

sorry to hear about that man. some people are just total scumbags as Lazlo so nicely pointed out. hopefully itll turn up and you can punch whomever in the baby maker.

on another note, awesome awesome news to hear about the Pro GRT race and the only American UCI points race!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
WTF! I didn't even see and newbies to Platty on Saturday. I can't see anyone stealing a helmet. That's gross! Like using someone's old condoms.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
WTF! I didn't even see and newbies to Platty on Saturday. I can't see anyone stealing a helmet. That's gross! Like using someone's old condoms.
it was right at the end of the day Saturday (like 430?), after the rain had stopped. The lift had just closed and sam, steve and I went down to hose off our bikes. We put helmets to the side (closer to the double) so as to not get them soaked (they were of course the only dry things left) :D.

I hosed off all my dirty gear, and bike, and walked back to the car leaving the helmet by mistake (I had my hands pretty full), Sam and Steve were ahead of me. I'm not even sure any more riders came down and washed bikes it was that late in the day. I threw the bike and gear in the car, realized I'd left the helmet, and ran back over there (raining again slightly by this point). Gone

I reported it at the lodge, asked around in the parking lot, and then of course Laz mentioned it a couple times on sunday.

it is sad. I thought bikers were better than that.

but hey, I won my class!

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Random... But does anyone know if the results for this race are going to be posted to USA Cycling? I was just poking around the USA Cycling website and noticed that this race was not posted nor was the November race from last season. Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it, but this does serve as my permanent riding record which is kinda cool to look back on... Not to mention its a USA Cycling sanctioned event that I did pay $60 to enter.
Thanks.

Last edited: