Quantcast

lb for lb

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
I'm trying to decide on what to upgrade on my 05 Norco Atomik. The only thing that is still stock is the Fox 3.0 shock. I've been thinking of sending it off to Push. So now I'm stuck again with decisions of trying to save weight with new wheels or go a suspension upgrade. Or maybe there's something I've missed while trolling every manufacturer's websites this last week.

Throw some upgrade suggestions at me, anything. Let me know what your best upgrade has been and why?

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
hmmm... my best upgrade would be ditching the old hardtail and upgrading to a canfield can-can. its hard to tell what and if i would upgrade anything on your norco, if i don´t know the specs.

shorerider

Chimp
Apr 9, 2010
North Vancouver
Its a full sus bike.

Your really better off getting a newer bike or at least frame with better up-to-date geo. If you go the frame route, you can transfer most of your old parts over since you seem to have upgraded a lot of things already. So what is your parts spec and do you know how much it weighs now?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Its a full sus bike.

Your really better off getting a newer bike or at least frame with better up-to-date geo. If you go the frame route, you can transfer most of your old parts over since you seem to have upgraded a lot of things already. So what is your parts spec and do you know how much it weighs now?
:thumb:

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
The last time I weighed it, around 44lbs with the old DropOff fork and it was basically stock, going to clean it (thanks BlackRock) and throw it on the scale tonight to see where it sits and then I'll repost it. Some of the parts have been given to me so I haven't got to choose them, i.e. the long cage rear derailleur.

2005 Norco Atomik Frame
2005 Marzocchi RC66
Fox 3.0 Shock

Easton Vice DH Bar
Truvativ Hussefelt Stem
ODI Lock-Ons
243 6061 Bar Caps

Shimano XT cassette/rear der.,
E13 SRS CG/Bash Ring (old style all black)
Truvativ Holzfeller Crank Arms AL 7050-TV
Truvativ Howizter Team BB
Specialized Alloy Flat Pedals
KMC Z narrow chain

Alex Supra N Wheels
Hubs/Spokes? - Front 20mm through axle/Rear Hub 150x12mm nutted
Minnion DHF Front 2.5 /Fro Lite Rear 2.35 Tires
Front/Rear Brakes Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic 8"

WTB Pure V saddle with cut seat post...really short

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
I have been looking at new frames, of course the one's I want seem like they should have a motor with the price I'd have to pay:) It would be nice to have more opportunities for demo riding some of the bikes I've looked at. I picked up the Norco last Fall for uber cheap on c-list. It's worked thus far, but I want to upgrade to bigger and better things, be it parts or ultimately a completely new bike....$$$$$

Its a full sus bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
avalanche downhill suspension now has the AVA upgrades and they are also the ones who supply Daren at PUSH his hi/lo adjusters from the avy DHS shocks. Craig now has an adjuster that mounts into the stock propedal location and makes your shock TRULY speed sensative and not position which ramps and gets hard real quick...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
...or vivid. It took a little bit to figure out what a "I got a pushed vivid" meant.
It didnt perform they way he liked so he pushed it off a cliff into a garbage can! :thumb:

Vivids are better than people give them credit, I ran a 5.1 and REALLY liked it, theres no real reason to have it pushed as its more speed sensative then position based on the resi and internals. So it should perform more MX style than ramping up like a fox....