Quantcast

Lbs

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
I've found that the LBS has been my best resource for mtb related anything - advice, parts, support, everything. We need to support our local bike stores by buying through them. Does anyone use the online shops??? Just curious.

Anyone buy from Walmart??? They sell mtbs so someone must be buying...

Fleawest

Chimp
Apr 7, 2009
I buy parts online only because I worked in a shop and know exactly what I need and how to install it. I also know how much stuff is marked up. Regardless, the LBS is the best place to go for the average joe in need of repairs, parts, and most importantly knowledge.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I like getting things online like parts and accessories. If i need my bikes worked on, i have some buddies that work at the LBS. That's about one of the only times i go there. Sometimes it's just easier to get things on line when you know what you want or need.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Only go to shops for new bikes or frames. Parts? psh faghetaboutit! I used to work in one and for a short time they kept giving me discounts, buuuuuuut as time went by, pricepoint became my bestest friend.

pbwrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I've worked as a mechanic in a shop for 12 years. I can count on one hand the number of customers I've ever encountered who actually know enough about bikes not to need an LBS. Now before you all jump down my throat, that's not to say that you don't know anything. However, no one knows it all. If you all buy your stuff online, who's gonna tell you whether that new crank will really fit your spindle length? Who's going to rebuild your fork or your brake master cylinder without paying an arm and a leg to ship it off and waiting forever?

I've seen WAY too many people who either buy the wrong parts or get ripped off online. Your LBS is hopefully staffed with people who are truly experts, with a wealth of resources at their disposal to answer questions that you can't. They love cycling too, and want to help you to enjoy it by stocking only the best and most worthwhile bikes parts and accessories, and helping you to find what works best for you. They advocate for bikes, maintain trails, increase awareness, lobby for access, host group rides, and generally work their asses off for YOU and the SPORT OF CYCLING.

I won't get into markup on prices, because it's literally nothing. Most shops will sell you the same stuff you can get online for the same prices 90% of the time. No one's gonna blame you for taking some super clearance deal, but the least you can do is try the LBS first. Tell them what you're looking for, and they most of the time they'll be able to do it just as cheaply, without adding shipping or making you wait for it.

Last edited:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
No one can blame you for going online for a good price, but if you can't put it on yourself, then get it from your LBS. They'll usually charge you less to put it on than if you bring in the part, and they'll make sure you get exactly what you need.

If people stop buying parts from the LBS (yeah, even though the margins are small) then you may start seeing LBS go under. If you like your shop, support them, get them to do some work on your bike. If you dislike your shop, then f them, they can go away.