Quantcast

Learning how to spin

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Heres the situation. I dont have an indoor trainer. Im not close to a gym but I want to learn how to spin properly. What would be the easiest way to do so? Whats the technique behind spinning. I know its peddaling in a circle and not pushing. How do you train to do that. Thanks

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You can "spin" on any bike though. It's really just high cadence (pedaling really fast, like 100-120 revolutions per minuted or so. THen you can get fancy and do different drills (intervals, sprints, hill climbs).

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by crackmunch
Heres the situation. I dont have an indoor trainer. Im not close to a gym but I want to learn how to spin properly. What would be the easiest way to do so? Whats the technique behind spinning. I know its peddaling in a circle and not pushing. How do you train to do that. Thanks
I used to be a pusher. I'm still not a master spinner, but I'm a lot closer to getting a circle than I was. I imagine that I'm scraping mud off of my shoe at the bottom of every stroke. At first it took a lot of concentration because pushing was my natural pedal stroke. After a while it became second nature to "scrape."

I also don't really spin well but the advice I got was to practice pedaling with one leg only. You look like a dork riding along with one leg sticking out (careful when passing others!!) but it forces you to notice more than just the downstroke on the leg that is pedaling. This works the best if you are clipped in or at least have toe clips.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
Spinning started to hurt my knee so I took a break for a few weeks but now I am noticing that when I mountain bike my pedaling in smoother. I think it has really helped me learn to push down flat and pull up while riding. Spinning isn't really that hard you just try to keep up you cadence as best you can. You will get better in time.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
rollers are the key as edoz stated, but since you are on a trainer do the one leg pedal strokes. just hang one leg down and concentrate on pedaling smoothly, very smoothly. you should also do them while riding outside and not just on the trainer. also riding lower gear combinations will force you to spin. try that out