Quantcast

Lease nearly over, new car time.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
s4 all the way
I am 99% sure that's my next car. Fast, sexy, available in a stick and 4dr. The other cars on that list don't even compare, maybe speed-wise, but not image-wise. I'm just scared of getting a lemon :( or the other scary part is they are all lemons (german cars) double :(

I noticed your age...I'm 28 and just keep feeling like subarus and the like, while fun to drive, just seem like they belong in a college parking lot. The older I get, the more I feel like I want something I don't feel silly getting out of in a suit, but still want it to be fun to drive. I test drove an S4 and had a mild chubby. The only thing that scares me is getting bent over on maintenance costs.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
My vote is for the STI. I am definitely Subaru biased though. :D

But I've heard the '09s are way better than the '08s for some reason. If I were you, I would go for either an '06 or a '10. The '10 is the best looking hatchback STI they've made.

I guess my second choice would have to be the v-dub just for the quality of their cars.

Last choice would be the evo for reasons listed above. :thumb:

rockarollah

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Waterloo, ON
I think we own the exact same car and you're right the GTI's torque steer is very minimal. It's literally the perfect FWD sport hatchback... VW gave it just enough power to be quick, but not enough that the FWD platform couldn't handle it. The 2010 diff may help a little but you can't change facts. When you accelerate weight shifts to the rear wheels.

My problem is that I'm a gearhead at heart... I still miss my 350+ HP V8 muscle car from the days when I was still wrenching. I miss having that raw startling acceleration, and as much as I want the GTI to have it, it just won't be able to put the torque down so I'm not going to waste my time trying to make a car into something that it's not.

BTW you mentioned snow... the GTI is laughable on snow, freaking useless. I'm sure you learned that the hard way as well. I had a pretty comical trip home from work last winter.
You know, Pontiac G8's are cheap. I drove a GT model and really liked it. Quite a refined solid car, and the highway mileage isn't bad. Not sure about fold-down seats...

Just my $0.02. Would take one over a WRX or a GTI in a second.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
One of my friends just traded his 2009 G8 GT in for a HOnda Civic SI. He hated filling the G8 up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think we own the exact same car and you're right the GTI's torque steer is very minimal. It's literally the perfect FWD sport hatchback... VW gave it just enough power to be quick, but not enough that the FWD platform couldn't handle it. The 2010 diff may help a little but you can't change facts. When you accelerate weight shifts to the rear wheels.

My problem is that I'm a gearhead at heart... I still miss my 350+ HP V8 muscle car from the days when I was still wrenching. I miss having that raw startling acceleration, and as much as I want the GTI to have it, it just won't be able to put the torque down so I'm not going to waste my time trying to make a car into something that it's not.

BTW you mentioned snow... the GTI is laughable on snow, freaking useless. I'm sure you learned that the hard way as well. I had a pretty comical trip home from work last winter.

You do know GTIs come with summer tires. Switching to all seasons made a huge difference.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
blah...I'm drinking, tired and hate cars. I read the top half of the first page.

Mazda=Sucks. They fall apart and get clapped out fast.

R32 or STi would be my choices out of those.

Looks like I'm buying a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE:think:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
I thought you were moving to Colorado? :think:
Find me a fukkin job and I will move there tomorrow. I picked a bad time to move across the counrty. My Ski equipment arrived from Morrison, CO to East Aurora, NY on Monday

It sucks. Nothing is better here in WNY other than chicken wings, beef on weck and cheap labatt's blue:(

Morrison inn...mmmmm.....

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

2011 Mustang? 3.7l V6 puts out 305hp, it's RWD and still only weighs ~3300lbs. Comes with a 6sp and a claimed 30mpg as well. Plus it's supposed to still be under $23k, which means you'd be able to get a new car instead of one that's been flogged by some teenager with too much of daddy's money. No clue on when it'll be out, or when you'll need a new car by, but might be a thought. If you want something fast, get something fast, not an overpriced 240hp AWD boat anchor... (and I'd be leery of modifying the R32, since at the time it was rumored that the DSG couldn't handle much more torque before the clutch stated slipping.)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
2011 Mustang? 3.7l V6 puts out 305hp, it's RWD and still only weighs ~3300lbs. Comes with a 6sp and a claimed 30mpg as well. Plus it's supposed to still be under $23k, which means you'd be able to get a new car instead of one that's been flogged by some teenager with too much of daddy's money. No clue on when it'll be out, or when you'll need a new car by, but might be a thought. If you want something fast, get something fast, not an overpriced 240hp AWD boat anchor... (and I'd be leery of modifying the R32, since at the time it was rumored that the DSG couldn't handle much more torque before the clutch stated slipping.)
A v6 muscle car? That makes it, not a muscle car. I feel the same about the v6 camaro. I'd be interested in that new 2011 GT, yes indeed.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, they're getting pretty damn good at refining v6's these days. Even the new camaro's that are v6's have way more power than I thought a naturally aspirated engine would pump out.
I'd still get the Datsun 510 if i had the money though. :0)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I tried to convince my wife that we need a lime green 510 - she said :thumbsdown:

Back in high school a buddy of mine who drove a 1974 BMW 2002Si had his ass handed to him by an unknown driver of a late 60s or early 70s 510. I don't know if his driving skills sucked or what - we could almost lose the 510 on the twisties but he howled past us on a straightaway when we where going 90. This was before racing 510s was popular.

Last edited:

rockarollah

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Nice!

Was looking at an RX-7 GSL-SE on kijiji earlier today...

With the 'stang GT or the G8 GT (my suggestion), I wouldn't think the gas mileage is much worse compared with a Subaru STi or an EVO. On fueleconomy.gov, I'm comparing a G8 GT vs. a manual EVO right now - 15/24 for the Pontiac vs. 16/22 for the Evo. Bet you could get away with mid-grade in the Pontiac.

I'm surprised Bee-M-dubs haven't come up. 335Xi? 135i?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I tried to convince my wife that we need a lime green 510 - she said :thumbsdown:

Back in high school a buddy of mine who drove a 1974 BMW 2002Si had his ass handed to him by an unknown driver of a late 60s or early 70s 510. I don't know if his driving skills sucked or what - we could almost lose the 510 on the twisties but he howled past us on a straightaway when we where going 90. This was before racing 510s was popular.
I used to have a bmw 2002, 1976 model. If i remember correctly, they were a four cylinder and the 510's were a 6 cylinder.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I used to have a bmw 2002, 1976 model. If i remember correctly, they were a four cylinder and the 510's were a 6 cylinder.
At the time I think they where sold stock with 1600cc 4 cylinders, many rally cars where converted with z-car 6 cylinders - I have no idea what engine the 510 that passed us but it flew by and left us in the dust.

rockarollah

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Waterloo, ON
They came stock with a 1.6 litre 4-cyl with about 90-100hp. L16.

There were tuner parts for them back in the day. Other Datsuns came stock with similar but higher-displacement engines - there was an L18 (in the Datsun 610), and an L20 4-cyl (in the trucks and 2000cc Roadster). It was common to put them in 510s - also to put on Weber carbs, 5-speed transmissions from the 2000 Roadster and the Z-cars, LSD's, ...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Yeah, they're getting pretty damn good at refining v6's these days. Even the new camaro's that are v6's have way more power than I thought a naturally aspirated engine would pump out.
I had a '77 Camaro with the 305 v8 (2bbl carb, though), and it put out a MASSIVE 140hp. 3sp automatic, got about 12mpg, and couldn't outrun the K-cars of the mid 80s (I had it in the early 90's). My current 4cyl has 20 more hp and probably gets to 60mph a full 4-5 seconds faster than my old Camaro. For me it's speed, and as long as they don't screw up the gearing, the v6 would be more than fast enough for me.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm with ya on that. I couldn't justify the extra coin for the v8. But i wouldn't be driving one of those cars anyway. I have a minivan now. I don't know that i could ever go without owning some kind of van now.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
i think it was coupe concept.

I've had 19 vw's and honestly a properly set-up fwd car with good power-to-weight is a fun car.

I had a '95 VR6 that was built to a high compression 3L that made 197whp on the dyno. I ran a 3.94 R/P with stock .85 - 5th gear and Quaife LSD and that little ****er would bone out.

You want a fun machine, pick-up a mk2 swap a VR into it and run some 268º cams. Thats a fun little rocketship.

Although I'd say reliability wise, cop the S4. The 4.2 V8's are stout, reliable motors. But get a 6 speed wagon.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'm surprised Bee-M-dubs haven't come up. 335Xi? 135i?
I'm a huge fan of BMW. I'd love a last generation i6 M3, but the up keep on any M car is insane.

I actually have track time in several BMWs (335, 535, 135, M3, M5, and the M Coupe). 1 series is very impressive for the price... I followed a 2008 M3 (4 door) for a few laps. I was really impressed that he wasn't able to shake me. Car handled great.

Anyway, when the time comes if I find a 135 at the right price, It'll make my short list for sure. Doubt it will happen though.

Last edited: