Quantcast

Leatt Braces... someone had to say it

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Personally i think its kind of the same thing as with sugar pills, if you believe it works it probably will and you wont mind it when riding. On the other hand if dont believe it works it will make you uncomfortable when riding and may cause you to crash more often and resulting in a higher chane of injuries.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Personally i think its kind of the same thing as with sugar pills, if you believe it works it probably will and you wont mind it when riding. On the other hand if dont believe it works it will make you uncomfortable when riding and may cause you to crash more often and resulting in a higher chane of injuries.
The laws of physics can't be tricked by sugar pills - the injuries resulting won't be the same. Possible psychological effects would only result in being tenser or looser and/or riding more conservatively versus taking risks - modern football players hit harder with the addition of better safety equipment.

It would likely be less comfortable than wearing a helmet alone for most people, but this is a similar argument girls/posers make when they don't want to wear a helmet.

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
A* tested on cadavers...
And still people ask where is the evidence! You could argue that a dead body may not react the same way as a live one (no tensioning of neck muscles before crash etc.), but in reality it's as close as you're going to get. The other way to get closer to an answer is to look at spine injury rates and if they have decreased with the introduction of braces. I was sure Leatt had done this but I can't find the info at the moment.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
The laws of physics can't be tricked by sugar pills - the injuries resulting won't be the same. Possible psychological effects would only result in being tenser or looser and/or riding more conservatively versus taking risks - modern football players hit harder with the addition of better safety equipment.

It would likely be less comfortable than wearing a helmet alone for most people, but this is a similar argument girls/posers make when they don't want to wear a helmet.
I dont argue about the physics being the same, but more the fact of what the rider is dividing his attention to. If somethings is buggin you the slightest it will take away some of your concentration and thus make the probability of a crash a slight bit higher.

NwRider

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Bellingham, Wa
I'm surprised no one has brought this up but I think taking steps to insure neck safety before even putting a neck brace on is the most important. Strengthening the neck and stretching will go miles in terms of safety. Having several years of collegiate wrestling experience we put our necks in some crazy posititions with loads of stress. If it were not for neck strengthening exercises and stretching, there would be alot more injuries. Clearly not the same sport, but I feel my experience helps alot. (I am anti brace)