Quantcast

Leatt DH pad kit

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I haven't heard about the pad kit. Sounds like something I might be interested in. I am currently running the GPX and love it. I don't ride without it.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
A good few pro have them on the now.
Its got like a gold piping round the top.
Looks diffrent to a normal padding.

Its lower for dh or something like that

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I don't think I'd ever need it. With the GPX you just loosen the bolts, slide the back piece into the lowest position, and ride on. I suppose if you had a huge noggin with a big helmet, or really tall (?) shoulders... maybe.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I tried the moto gpx with a moto helmet and there was no way in hell I could look up far enough. I'd like to try the DH pad set, I'm pretty tall, but I don't have a huge head so I thought it might work. There is no way in hell I'm giving up my moto helmet.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
where is the best place to get these braces i really want one, but am missing the $$$ right now to purchase...i need one at a decent price.

BlueRoller

Chimp
Apr 8, 2007
I ordered one from this guy on ebay yesterday for 349 with free shipping. Item number is 180335522474 (url won't fit, just type the item # into the ebay search box) He said the price would be going up and free shipping would be ending soon.

Call the phone number in the listing.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I tried the moto gpx with a moto helmet and there was no way in hell I could look up far enough. I'd like to try the DH pad set, I'm pretty tall, but I don't have a huge head so I thought it might work. There is no way in hell I'm giving up my moto helmet.
This is true. I ride DH with a DH helmet and my Leatt, and there are no problems at all - I actually forget that I even have the brace on. On the other hand, I ride moto with a moto helmet and my Leatt, and the brace is very noticeable, especially when trying to tilt my head back while I'm standing and crouched over the bars looking up the trail. I'd imagine trying to ride DH with a Leatt and a moto helmet would be damn near mission impossible due to the body position you're usually in and the interference with the larger helmet.

where is the best place to get these braces i really want one, but am missing the $$$ right now to purchase...i need one at a decent price.
I would say ebay would be your best bet because direct from Leatt to the moto dealer they are pretty price protected. If you have a in with a bike shop Troy Lee distrabutes them now you might get a better deal there. I just got one of the new Alpinestars brace on ebay shipped to my door for the same as retail on the Leatt GPX club! They cost a little bit of money but if they do their job much cheaper than the alternative.

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
rollertoaster & John

Did you try to flip the plastic nuts on the rear adjuster? Also, take the pads off when you adjust it down to make sure it's all the way down.
Hey man-

Great call on the nut flip-ification. I just tried that out and it makes a big difference. Life Lesson Learned: whenever possible, flip your nuts to make more room for your oversized head.

Thanks!
JP

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Hey all. Has there been any news on this dh pad set at all? Also has anyone heard of an extra-long pin for the brace. I read it somewhere but cannot find where. I think I need one as my helmet is getting smacked by my Leatt and it gets annoying. Haven't even tried it yet on anything majorly steep?
Thanks again Total Heckler and Prettym1k3 for the hookup with Ridesfo.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
rollertoaster & John

Did you try to flip the plastic nuts on the rear adjuster? Also, take the pads off when you adjust it down to make sure it's all the way down.

I don't have an issue riding either DH or Moto with a Leatt and a Troy Lee SE2.

here are some pictures that show how much further I could look up before my helmet would hit the brace.
http://sicklines.smugmug.com/gallery/8319741_Ewv67#545049485_yf52E-X3-LB
http://sicklines.smugmug.com/gallery/8307140_NSnfU#544122011_adUi6-X3-LB

hey, i think im just an idiot but can you explain what nuts you are talking about? specifically,
thanks

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
hey, i think im just an idiot but can you explain what nuts you are talking about? specifically,
thanks
They are talking about the the two nuts for the height adjustment of the rear "shelf". If you look at them from the nut side, you will notice that the threaded nut is offset in a small composite peice. The composite peice sits in a slot and can be flipped 180° which will allow the nut and bolt to sit slightly lower in the channel.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
They are talking about the the two nuts for the height adjustment of the rear "shelf". If you look at them from the nut side, you will notice that the threaded nut is offset in a small composite peice. The composite peice sits in a slot and can be flipped 180° which will allow the nut and bolt to sit slightly lower in the channel.
Yep!

Did that last week. I haven't been able to ride nor will I for another couple months (because of shoulder surgery) but I noticed it made a pretty significant difference.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
coool, thanks, i think i figured it out.
just for the skeptics out there concerning clearence, i have found that making sure the brace is sitting up high on your chest is just as important as lowering the back end. the right body armor can accomplish this

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
All this stuff is making my head spin. I've seen lots of groms switching over to Leatts with no pads and I'm not running anything other than knee/shins right now b/c my old body armor bit the dust.

I'm trying to figure out what to pull the trigger on these days that are in line with a dad's priority list and price range. This one little piece costs more than most full upper body armor sets. Real head scratcher.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
All this stuff is making my head spin. I've seen lots of groms switching over to Leatts with no pads and I'm not running anything other than knee/shins right now b/c my old body armor bit the dust.

I'm trying to figure out what to pull the trigger on these days that are in line with a dad's priority list and price range. This one little piece costs more than most full upper body armor sets. Real head scratcher.
Wheelchair vs. arm in a sling and some bandages

Worst case scenario wheelchair as a quad vs. wheelchair with upper body functions.

I spent money on the Leatt before upper body armor, but armor was my next purchase. Just my two cents as a father and sole provider for my family.

nuclear 674

Monkey
Aug 12, 2005
ahead of you!!!
amen to the sling versus wheel chair. I had a core savor and bought a leatt, now I need a new core savor since the old one doesnt play nice. I figured being a single dad that i could recover from most injuries excpet the spine type.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
Are the pads really that much more slim to really make a noticeable difference?

I can't see how they could be dramatically thinner. The stock pads on my Sport are maybe 1/4" at the thickest points where the raised ribs are. I can't see where they could pull out much material.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I take it no one has heard anything about an extra long pin??

Also how did you (cableguy) order those pads. I don't see them on the site. Did you just email them direct?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Anybody got a link to a thread that explains the differences between the 3 DH oriented Leatts other than material being carbon versus fiberglass. Their site doesn't really spell out anything?

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
All three are built upon the same principles. The Adventure has no adjustability as far as raising or lowering the front and rear "shelfs" that would stop the helmet from moving past a given point. The GPX Club and Sport are identicle other than color and the fact that the "shelf" sections on the Sport are carbon fiber vs. a plastic composite. These both allow much more adjustability.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
So I found that Canada now has a Leatt brace distributor. I know that I was having trouble finding parts for these thing s so I thought that I would post this to help anyone else out there. http://www.shr.bz/index.php?lang=en&page=3

That is the link to the catologue . You just select Leatt in MFG and then if you select the Sport brace you also get the bonus of the parts kits. They also have the low profile pad kit available on there as well.

I dont know about EP thru them direct, Troy Lee has distrabution on them so if a shop had Troy Lee they might get a little better deal but their markup margin is almost half of normal stuff so you could save some but not alot. Ebay...I have the Alpinestar carbon that is $679 retail, I got it on ebay for $419 to my door brand new. The alpinestar comes thru parts unlimited which has a higher markup so you could find one of those for a larger discount. I have see some used(leatt) for a cheap price, motocross is a much differnt world than this lot and gear gets dumped as soon as something new comes out and alot of moto riders use them so its possible to find them local but....its used and you dont really know what you are getting unless you know who has had it. Everyone has their idea of what expensive is but for me these things are dirt cheap if they do what they are designed to do.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Everyone has their idea of what expensive is but for me these things are dirt cheap if they do what they are designed to do.
Bingo.

The info about pricing and markup is correct too. Low markup and the retail price seems to be very consistent.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I dont know about EP thru them direct, Troy Lee has distrabution on them so if a shop had Troy Lee they might get a little better deal but their markup margin is almost half of normal stuff so you could save some but not alot. Ebay...I have the Alpinestar carbon that is $679 retail, I got it on ebay for $419 to my door brand new. The alpinestar comes thru parts unlimited which has a higher markup so you could find one of those for a larger discount. I have see some used(leatt) for a cheap price, motocross is a much differnt world than this lot and gear gets dumped as soon as something new comes out and alot of moto riders use them so its possible to find them local but....its used and you dont really know what you are getting unless you know who has had it. Everyone has their idea of what expensive is but for me these things are dirt cheap if they do what they are designed to do.

Oh the irony. They are LITERALLY right down the road. If only you could walk in the door and buy stuff. I even worked at UPS one Christmas several years back and had to load tractor trailers full of pipes, silencers, parts, etc from there.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I use the GPX with a 661 Flight II and it works great. I just have the leatt adjusted all the way back. Also, I've found that using the straps (as much as they are annoying) actually help because it keeps the back of the leatt down more. There's still a little restriction in my head movement but nothing that major.