Quantcast

Leftover Thai...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
But, did you cook it yourself?

I made a double batch of Pad Thai last night, just because I love it for breakfast and lunch, too.

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'd like to see your recipe just to compare. Do you make your own sauce or use something like Por Kwan prepared sauce? I do it both ways.

**pad thai in a box does not count, must be from scratch...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'd like to see your recipe just to compare. Do you make your own sauce or use something like Por Kwan prepared sauce? I do it both ways.

**pad thai in a box does not count, must be from scratch...
I don't really have a recipe with measurements any more, and it's kind of my own version, but yeah always from scratch. The most important thing for me with this kind of cooking is to have all prep done before I start cooking.

Soak rice noodles in several changes of hot water. Make a sauce with rougly equal parts fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and a small amount of tomato or tamarind paste. Scramble an egg, chop some garlic, slice some chilies, prep shrimp if I'm using it. Crush some peanuts, chop cilantro. Heat the hell out of a wok. When it's as hot as you're gonna get (not nearly hot enough for me on my crappy home stove), add peanut oil. Toss in the egg, stir fry for a few seconds. Add garlic, toss a couple times, then add the sauce and bring to a boil. Add the noodles, toss to coat, turn off the heat and add shrimp if using, toss with chilis and some of the cilantro. Garnish with peanuts, more cilantro, and lime wedges, maybe a little sriracha.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Talk to me more about your noodles. I must be doing something horribly wrong, because when I've soaked the noodles and then stir friend them, they are either too crunchy or something is wierd with them. One of my Thai cookbooks suggested using more oil if they weren't coming out right, and that didn't work either.

Now, I cook them up aldente, drain them, and then stirfry them. It works just fine but I know it's not the authentic way to cook rice stick. Any thoughts for me?
gg

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I was glad to figure out a way to do it without boiling water. There are two things I've figured out to help: I soak them in lots of hot water for the 45 mins or so it takes to prep the rest of the ingredients, and I change the water three times at least, refreshing with more hot water. By "hot" I mean basically as hot as my faucet will get, which really is not very hot. The water cools off pretty quickly, so changing it keeps the temperature hot which helps to soften the noodles. Multiple changes also rinses away extra starch that leads to clumping.

Second, try adding a 1/4 or 1/2 cup of stock or water to the sauce that you bring to a boil before adding noodles, and letting the noodles simmer in it half a minute or so before you turn off the heat. This is kinda sorta like boiling the noodles for a very short time, but the noodles also absorb the liquid - both of which help to soften. Take it off the heat when it's still slightly loose and soupy, the liquid will continue to evaporate/be absorbed for a little bit and it should be about right when it cools.

More oil can prevent clumping but not sure how that would really help soften the noodles.

Ok thanks now I'm craving the stuff...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
WTF kinda pants are those?
Those are my PJs. I like wearing them around the house because the fly doesn't have a button and I don't wear any underwear. I will carry on a conversation with the Missus with my junk peeking out and pretend like I don't realize it. She thinks I'm a pig.