Quantcast

legs always sore

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
my thighs are always sore. Any ideas? I'm still riding the same # of miles a week for 4 months now. I do vary my path, but there really isn't a difference in difficulty no matter which way I go. I stretch out before and after my ride too. I usually don't get sore until about Wednesday morning and I am sore the rest of the week. If I don't ride over the weekend, then I am fine on Monday. Is this normal? What can I do to help?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hmm, sounds like you need more recovery time in between rides to let your legs "heal". Lots of times, sore legs that often is a sign of overtraining.:(

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
happened to me too. a couple of weeks ago we were having awesoe weather and i hadnt been able to ride hard in a while so i was deteremined to ride this kick your ass trail everyday all week. by the time the weekend got here i was so soar i couldnt move and i was dead all weekend. im new at all of this really so i know that i need ttime to recoop.

ii think heidi is right...i think you need time to recoop too.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
Hmm, sounds like you need more recovery time in between rides to let your legs "heal". Lots of times, sore legs that often is a sign of overtraining.:(
yeah more then likely you aren't giving yourself any recovery time. you can actually benefit from riding to recovery. if you just go out and ride, just spin not hard just veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easy this will actually help your legs out. also if you are riding every day, even if you are changing up the length of the ride if you are going at the same pace this problem will only continue. what will probably help you out is changing your pace up, don't necessarly go hard every day. if you do this it wil continue to tear at your muscle tissues and you won't recovery properly. this is probably why you are so sore now.

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
Since I'm new to all the lingo, what is "changing up?". I have found that if I ride M and T and rest W then I'm up for a good ride Thur and Fri. Is there any way to get to the point where I can ride all week and not get sore?

Thanks for the help so far.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by mrsdove
Since I'm new to all the lingo, what is "changing up?". I have found that if I ride M and T and rest W then I'm up for a good ride Thur and Fri. Is there any way to get to the point where I can ride all week and not get sore?

Thanks for the help so far.
First of all, by "changing up", he means to not go out and ride as hard as you can everyday...no one should. You need to ride easy somedays to let your legs recover. For example, you might ride hard on Tuesday, but then ride Wed easy. You need to give your legs a chance to "recover". To answer your second question about whether you will ever be able to ride all week and not get sore....that depends. If you are trying to ride hard each day then I'm inclined to say no, you will never be able to ride hard each day and not get sore. But, you CAN ride all week if you change it up and go easy a couple days.

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
Thanks for the help. I tend to take it a little easy in the mornings when I am sore, but I don't EVER take it easy coming home. I'm so flippin' anxious to get home that I just go hard. I'll have to relax it a couple days a week coming home and I bet I will feel a ton better. Thanks!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have the same problem with my road bike, I cannot ride without hammering - it just can't be done. If I am too take it easy I can't ride at all. I almost always ride in the afternoon, I may be tired in the morning but by 4 or 5 I'm always ready to go. I say monitor your heart rate, if it gets above a certain level (you'll have to find out what your fatique point is) at rest you might consider a day or two of rest.

My threshold for fatique is 61 - if I read 61 and I have been sitting for at least 30 minutes then I know it's a rest day. If I am between 55 and 60 I'll know to take it easy. Under 40 and balls to wall!

Just now I was at 53 but twice today I read 63+ so today I'm resting.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I have the same problem with my road bike, I cannot ride without hammering - it just can't be done. If I am too take it easy I can't ride at all. I almost always ride in the afternoon, I may be tired in the morning but by 4 or 5 I'm always ready to go. I say monitor your heart rate, if it gets above a certain level (you'll have to find out what your fatique point is) at rest you might consider a day or two of rest.

My threshold for fatique is 61 - if I read 61 and I have been sitting for at least 30 minutes then I know it's a rest day. If I am between 55 and 60 I'll know to take it easy. Under 40 and balls to wall!

Just now I was at 53 but twice today I read 63+ so today I'm resting.
i can have that problem when i'm on my mtn bike, but it takes a lot of focus to not go balls to the wall and stay w/ in your zones.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by mrsdove
Thanks for the help. I tend to take it a little easy in the mornings when I am sore, but I don't EVER take it easy coming home. I'm so flippin' anxious to get home that I just go hard. I'll have to relax it a couple days a week coming home and I bet I will feel a ton better. Thanks!
Ohhhh, you're commuting. Well, I had the same problem and found that if I commuted everyday I was just going to be sore because it's a tough ride to do two times a day all week. Taking it easy should definitely help. Try to ride in a really easy gear and just spin fast.

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
Yeah, I commute during the week and ride the mountains on the weekend. I seem to be total body sore on the weekends after a good ride, but my leg problem seems to be from the ride to and from work.

Thanks!