Quantcast

Let's talk about gloves!

I've used quite a few gloves in the past, too many to list in fact. I've never had a standout that I absolutely had to replace, so I'm starting this thread for general discussion about what you're using and what the likes and dislikes are for your choices. One thing I've come to dislike quite a bit are gloves that have the velcro fastener on the inside of the wrist. For me, it's gotta go on the outside or just be a pull on type glove.

Since I'm riding for Azonic and 661 this year, I'm giving the following a try: Azonic Revolution gloves and the 661 MTX gloves.

So, what are you guys wearing?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Specialized TRX. I actually really like them. I prefer thin gloves with ventilation and a bit of protection and they fit the bill nicely.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
raceface dh gloves!!! the most comfortable and durable gloves i have ridden with to date, and i got them for free from allen with my first bike from him. i've got a 661 sponsorship that i have to confirm, but i think i might try the descend gloves, they look nice.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
for the longest time i have a pair of AXO decents. they lasted like 4 years and i just had to get ride of those about a month ago. i have never found a glove that i like as much as those

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Stear way clear of 661 Cedrics, the ones with carbon knuckles. I was drawn to them due to the fact that I sometimes push my limits a little to far and take 'unplanned' voyages through the trees. The outside of the glove has lasted fine, but after the second ride a hole developed in the palm, and the stitching in the fingers had torn out. Now, after 3months, there is no palm left.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm running the '06 661 MTX's that you linked in your first post. They look good and feel good, no holes so far.

I really think glove companies need to put more effort into more durable palms and fingers, rather than the back of the hand/knuckle which IMO doesn't cop that much abuse at all (I don't know about you guys but I get my hand off the bar quickly if it looks like it's about to get slammed between the grip and a tree).

Personally i'm more fussed over protection and durability in a glove than say comfort, and I think most gloves could safely have more durable palms/fingers and still be fairly comfortable.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
I have had three pairs of 661's because they are cheap. two of them i really liked and the other I hated because they palm would get bunched up, but they may have been better in a smaller size.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Did a little research. I really liked the 661 comp gloves that I had, and I believe the ones I didn't like so much were the 661 mtx's. I don't know what the other pair was.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Stear way clear of 661 Cedrics, the ones with carbon knuckles. I was drawn to them due to the fact that I sometimes push my limits a little to far and take 'unplanned' voyages through the trees. The outside of the glove has lasted fine, but after the second ride a hole developed in the palm, and the stitching in the fingers had torn out. Now, after 3months, there is no palm left.
see i have these and they are holding up incredible.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
i like really thin gloves.

i like being able to feel the bars and brake levers. i feel more incontrol and nimble.

i would wear no gloves at all, but want a little protection if i do fall and use my palms to break my fall.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
661 Raji - great for hot, humid climates and I prefer thin palms with no padding.
I wear these gloves for xc and 4-cross. they have absolutely no padding in the palm, or protection on the back, but have the best fit ever. The only glove I've ever worn that actually "fits like a glove". The thumbs have an elastic tip which seems weird at first, but feels real nice on shifters.

If I want something with more protection I'll use some fox mx gloves. Most of their designs fit my hands pretty well, and are fairly durable for the price.

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
The Axo desent wont hold up to a season of downhill. My fox's are going on their second year. They have wrist protection, thin leather palms.

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
for the longest time i have a pair of AXO decents. they lasted like 4 years and i just had to get ride of those about a month ago. i have never found a glove that i like as much as those

Agree 100%. I have a pair of Axo Decents that are about 5 years old and really ratty but I will continue to wear them.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Who needs gloves ??!?! Dave Cully was great, raced no gloves; I don't see the point...

Who needs gloves ??!?! Dave Cully was great, raced no gloves; I don't see the point...
I sweat like a pig when I ride. Slippery grips are not good.

I've got a pair of the 661 Ced's and I blew the section between the thumb and the index finger. Seems like that and the index finger tip are what I'm hardest on. I agree with a previous poster that co's should really put more emphasis on the palm side of the glove rather than the back of the hand. In fact, a friend of mine was wearing said 661 Ced gloves and actually broke his hand because of the "carbon" knuckles. (He landed palm flat and bent his fingers backwards.) Kinda makes you think twice about the supposed "need" for knuckle protection.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Im loving my fox digits. Going on their 3rd season now palm area is a little tough now. I guess if i stopped building in them they would last longer.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
I've owned and killed so many diffrent gloves (from foxs, 661s, dakines, you name it.) and it's always by ripping the palm. average pair lasts me 3 months untill it's so torn up it can't be called a glove any more.
the only gloves that I've had any luck with to date is a set of dakine white knuckles. i've had them 3-4 months and they're a cold weather glove so i don't wear them too much.
Anyone else kill gloves like me? have you found anything that works, or should i just give up and go with an old school pair of leather working gloves? i heard about mechainic's gloves and i'm gonna give those a try next. thanks.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i think i'm going to get some MX gloves next. they can be had much cheaper than the average decent bike glove, most are around $20-30 on an ok site. Axo Kicker gloves look awesome, they have strapless wrist closures. Thor also makes some nice looking gloves, the Core series and AC series both look amazing. I'm trying the Axos if I can find them in the white.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
I wear these gloves for xc and 4-cross. they have absolutely no padding in the palm, or protection on the back, but have the best fit ever. The only glove I've ever worn that actually "fits like a glove". The thumbs have an elastic tip which seems weird at first, but feels real nice on shifters.

If I want something with more protection I'll use some fox mx gloves. Most of their designs fit my hands pretty well, and are fairly durable for the price.
that's what i plan on trying this season, thin to win

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
Troy Lee designs AIR and XC's are the best in the biz in my opinion. They last forever, fit nice and look good.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
anyone know of any slip on gloves that work well? i changed my mind and decided i want some pull ons, velcro makes me angry. the axos are hard to find, but the kicker is a pull on.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
man im currently on two pairs of gloves. one is the fox unibomber and i love these things. yeh they have kinda poitless carbon protection for you little and ring finger nuckles, but they fit really nice and still vent really well for a pair of carbon gloves. my two complants about them is that the carbon tends to dig into the sensitive spots between your middle and ring finger nuckles, and the other is that one of the plams has already ripped on me after about a month of ridding. my next is a pair of 06 scott extreme dh gloves. i use these things for all my races to give me a little bit more protection in the rocky stuff. my only complaint with these things is that they dont fit me very well but i also got the large and i should be in a medium, but i just had to have a pair of full carbon gloves. they vent okay for the kind of gloves they are and they completely cover my wrist which i really like. hope that helps man.

Flips

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
whistler
SOMBRIO!!
they have pull on (forensic) and velcro (cartel). i highly recomend them...i ride them in the park every day in the summer and they have held up amazingly well... and they don't give you blisters....no blisters...80+ days in the park without a blister. plus they look hot.

skinnyvinnie

Chimp
Jan 9, 2007
Stay away from the 661 SX-1 too. The stiches including the rubber lining on the upper side of the glove started to come off on my 4th ride. Having said that, I still have a pair of 05' 661 comp gloves which is still going strong after almost 2 yrs of constant use. One of my top fav.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
'06 661 MTX's, Raji's and year one of Gracia's gloves for trail riding and DH'ng. Just depends on what I find in the Camelback.

I sent my lil bro a pair of SX-1's for his 3rd and last tour in the "giant sandbox "with Force Recon. He told me that they held up well and were great for shooting and all around wear. They are still holding up and now wears them on trail rides.

A few guys in his team tried them on and were writing home for them.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've heard about the Cedrics stitching having issues, but mine have been mint. I guess I got lucky, because I have had several other 661's that didn't last very long. I only bought because my bro sold them to me at his cost. Been pretty happy with them ever since.

Don't by the Rockgardn Fate gloves, biggest pieces I have ever owned. 3 rides out and the palms were worn almost thru w/o any crashes. I emailed Rockgardn, and they offered another pair for 20 bucks and shipping but I thought that was pretty lame considering they admitted the product was defective.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'm surprised with the lack of Troy Lee support. I love the XC gloves and have worn my current pair for the past two seasons. In the winter I have a thin silk glove that I wear underneath for insulation. The gloves get thrown in the washer numerous times and still look good and fit well. No holes, no stitching needing repairing nothing. The gloves are quality.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
By the way I had a pair prior to that for 3 seasons and I still have them as back up gloves. The only reason for the new ones were that the colour scheme was a touch dated. :)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I'm surprised with the lack of Troy Lee support. I love the XC gloves and have worn my current pair for the past two seasons. In the winter I have a thin silk glove that I wear underneath for insulation. The gloves get thrown in the washer numerous times and still look good and fit well. No holes, no stitching needing repairing nothing. The gloves are quality.
i love the air gloves, although those small rubber bit on the gloves are long gone, they still work perfect!!

Robusto

Monkey
Ive worn fox sidewinders and the unibombers. The sidewinders I wore through really quickly, especially on the tips of my index finger and my middle finger.

The unibombers have held up very well, I raced them all last season and I think I'm gonna use them again this year.

I like the idea that they have carbon knuckle protection, but not so much that it feels way too protective. Being that the carbon only covers the ring and little finger, it feels like a normal glove.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
NoFearMX makes the most durable and comfortable gloves I've worn in a long time...and they've got 5 different types, from armored to standard moto style, to mesh with mesh palm pull on(my personal favorites)

www.nofearmx.com
they come in every color in the rainbow...and just about every style has the Michael Jackson white option...

Moto

Full Mesh

My fav - Pull On - Silly vented

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:stupid:

I actually learned a lesson from wearing those. Now when I find a glove that I really like I buy a couple of extra pairs.
Now I wear Fox Sidewinders (or Thor MX gloves in the cold/winter)

I've tried TLD gloves but they're just sized too small. I wear an XL-11 Fox or 661 and I can barely squeeze a TLD 11 on to my hand.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I had an excellent one-year run with my 1st gen. Cedric gloves. In face, I gave them to my friend who's been riding with them for 6 months, and they're still in great shape.

I now ride with the Specialized Fortress gloves. They're actually a bit much, but they saved my knuckles more times than I can remember.