Quantcast

Let's talk smokers

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My wife has suggested we get one. Who am I to argue? Looking for suggestions on styles, brands, methods, etc. What to look for, what to avoid.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I’ve been using these for the last 15 years or so.

Masterbuilt MB20070210 Analog Electric Smoker with 3 Smoking Racks, 30 inch, Black https://a.co/d/dA33K3Y

They last about 5 years before they rust out since to use them properly with a water pan when smoking.

the best smoke and flavor comes from the fine chips such as these.

Smokehouse Products All Natural Flavored Wood Smoking Chips https://a.co/d/h5q1J8I

They burn slower and produce more smoke than the bigger chips.

during thanksgiving I will typically smoke 4 whole turkey breasts and a ham at the same time only refilling the water and chips once.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I’ve been using these for the last 15 years or so.

Masterbuilt MB20070210 Analog Electric Smoker with 3 Smoking Racks, 30 inch, Black https://a.co/d/dA33K3Y

They last about 5 years before they rust out since to use them properly with a water pan when smoking.

the best smoke and flavor comes from the fine chips such as these.

Smokehouse Products All Natural Flavored Wood Smoking Chips https://a.co/d/h5q1J8I

They burn slower and produce more smoke than the bigger chips.

during thanksgiving I will typically smoke 4 whole turkey breasts and a ham at the same time only refilling the water and chips once.
I have that same smoker and I hate it. The rheostat controller and the lack of insulation sucks for holding a consistent temp, and I've always struggled to keep wood chips burning as the air circulation is poor.

That doesn't stop me from using it, though, as I'm too cheap to buy something different.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have that same smoker and I hate it. The rheostat controller and the lack of insulation sucks for holding a consistent temp, and I've always struggled to keep wood chips burning as the air circulation is poor.

That doesn't stop me from using it, though, as I'm too cheap to buy something different.
All the way up or nothing is the best way to use them

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Ive used one of these for years and it would be hard to convince me to switch to one of those new fangled electric contraptions. Has bit of a learning curve, but once you're dialed in it's pretty much set-and-forget. Only the largest slabs of meat/longest cooking times require any sort of charcoal addition. I do NOT remember paying nearly that much for it though. :dead:

The recipes and cooking tips on this website are fantastic

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ive used one of these for years and it would be hard to convince me to switch to one of those new fangled electric contraptions. Has bit of a learning curve, but once you're dialed in it's pretty much set-and-forget. Only the largest slabs of meat/longest cooking times require any sort of charcoal addition. I do NOT remember paying nearly that much for it though. :dead:

The recipes and cooking tips on this website are fantastic
I used to run a charcoal smoker as well but really enjoyed the simple on/off prep and instant smoking times of the electric cabinet smokers. Either is still way better than a pellet fed smoker for 8x the cost

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have owned a Weber kettle, cheap bullet style from walmart, Weber smokey mountain smoker and a Traeger tailgater smoker. The Traeger has been consistently better than anything else. It is just so easy to control both the smoke and temperature compared to using a real fire. You can also use the Traeger like a grill with the exception of searing meats. It will also burn any type of pellets, the cheapest ones I can find seem to perform and taste the same as the fancy ones.
A coworker has a Bradley smoker which works great but they are really expensive and use their own specific fuel source. If I was smoking bacon once a month I would look into one.

Edit: If you are looking for a reason to stand around a smoker drinking beer for hours and hours get a charcoal smoker :headbang:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The weber smokey mountain is like the gold standard in smokers. I started with an el-cheapo-brinkman and it was absolutely horrid. They must make enough money selling it to stupid yuppies like me never change the objectively bad design. I scooped up a WSM a few years ago and it was like night and day- 8 hours of solid heat control and all I had to do was manage smoke and water.

I am a big fan of making things easier, even if it's at the slight sacrifice of true BBQ-bro flavor, so I wouldn't hesitate to grab an electric smoker. I once saw a video where Alton Brown made a smoker with two flower pots and a hot plate...not sure you need to go that ghetto, but the ceramic should insulate and all you're looking for is 200-220 freedums for 8-10 hours with enough heat to cause a package of wood to smoke.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have a pit barrel smoker. Basically a 30 gallon drum with a lid, an adjustable covered hole at the bottom, a charcoal basket, a rack system and 4 vent holes partially plugged by rebar rods that are part of the rack system.

I don't do anything fancy, just Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Pork Ribs, Hot Italian sausage and the odd spatchcocked chicken. After several years, I nor my stomach have any complaints.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have a pit barrel smoker. Basically a 30 gallon drum with a lid, an adjustable covered hole at the bottom, a charcoal basket, a rack system and 4 vent holes partially plugged by rebar rods that are part of the rack system.

I don't do anything fancy, just Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Pork Ribs, Hot Italian sausage and the odd spatchcocked chicken. After several years, I nor my stomach have any complaints.
I completely forgot that I also had one of those. Jonkranked remember the one I had at Delta House? My was the OG then we bought a twin to it. Burned meat side by side until the sun came up.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Late to this party, but I have a few. Each have a specific use. For long and low temp stuff (big chunks of beef of pork) I use a propane fired cabinet type. Works really well, I welded a larger water pan so it will hold 4 gallons. Other than basting and adding wood for smoke it can run 10-15 hours with out touching it.
The Webber that @Pesqueeb has is the shit and works awesome. I use mine for chicken.
I also have a big offset box monstrosity it works ok, but unless you plan to build your own or spend a lot they are not tight enough to regulate temps. (Big box store ones aren’t worth the money). I use that one for ribs, but it takes a lot of charcoal and babysitting.

Type of wood you smoke with is huge. I have had the best luck with fruit tree wood. Apple and peach are my favorite. Hickory is bullshit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks for the input everyone. i'm still in the early stages of looking. i'd prefer electric/propane over charcoal. and i'm guessing everyone would recommend actual wood chips over smoker pucks.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Cheap
Good starter and quite inexpensive. You would get good results from something like that too.
If you can get real wood great, but the pick things works. I’ve have a shed full I’d mail you a box of of smoking sized stuff if you ask nicely.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Big pieces of anything will not cook even. Now I don't mind unrendered fat. I find most people cannot handle it. The Traeger has the ability to keep constant temps over long periods of time. It just takes forever to get any results. The gas closets require more attention. Currently using my neighbor's Egg. It requires lump Charcoal. Messy but never lets you down. Coil starter works every time. I cook frozen Wegman's and Stouffers pizzas to much success. I dug a hole to bury the ashes. I put peas around the hole. In case someone comes along to eat the peas. I will sneak up on them and kick them in the ash hole.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
thanks for the input everyone. i'm still in the early stages of looking. i'd prefer electric/propane over charcoal. and i'm guessing everyone would recommend actual wood chips over smoker pucks.
I do all of my smoking on a Big Green Egg. Easy to keep at a low temperature and stays hot even if you open it up. And I can take it up to 500F if I want to cook some pizzas without getting the kitchen hot.

Perky

Chimp
Feb 10, 2024
22” weber kettle…people make some fire out of those things. It was my first grill/smoker and I upped to a cheap HD offset after a year…now I want a bigger better offset lol Pretty much start small and go from there. Had buddies start on a Webber and went to a pellet. All in personal preference