Quantcast

Life Cycles is on itunes

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
downloaded and watched the movie via itunes.

it is a cinematographers wet dream. beautifully shot, almost to the point of overboard. not as much riding as id like to have seen though. the little bit of riding in it was awesome though (excluded mandatory dirt jump footage)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As a whole, Follow Me was a cluster. No flow at all. It was like watching a bunch of mashed together YouTube clips. A couple were good, but a lot were serious snoozers. The movie only seemed to come into its own in the last ten minutes, and then it abruptly ended. It felt very half-baked and I was pretty letdown by it.

Lifecycles is more of what I'd like to see in bike films. A very distinct flow, less emphasis on the gear and individual riders, more on what makes riding bikes rad. Earthed and Clay Porter can stick around to get your race stoke on, but Lifecycles has far broader and more in-depth appeal, even broader than the original Collective series. I like the lifestyle approach to a bike film far more than the "brobrahbro" repetitive huck-huck-shred nature of most MTB movies. It's a lot more engaging, interesting, and stimulating beyond a simple adrenaline rush; and coinciding with the broader appeal - it can get a lot more people who don't ride now interested in riding, something that benefits all of us.
I still think the biggest problem of Follow me was the enormous hype it had. Expectations were just too high. It was still one of the best movies of that year. I was also dissapointed but after some time when I rewatched it I really enjoyed it.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I heard that they were receiving the blu rays this week and being shipped late this week or next week. Atleast thats what PB said.....

I for one will be buying it on itunes tonight. Then i'll watch the blu ray whenever it arrives

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't use iTunes, so I have a question. Does the downloaded version have DRM or something in the file? Can I play it via my normal media players, or do I have to play it with iTunes? And can I freely move the file around between my computers and/or external HDD and still play it from any of them?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't use iTunes, so I have a question. Does the downloaded version have DRM or something in the file? Can I play it via my normal media players, or do I have to play it with iTunes? And can I freely move the file around between my computers and/or external HDD and still play it from any of them?
yes to DRM
no to other media players.
yes you can move it from computer to computer but only via itunes and ones that are "authorized" to sync with your ipod

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i enjoyed vast more...
I have mixed feelings about vast. Though same can be said about follow me ;)

yes to DRM
yes you can move it from computer to computer but only via itunes and ones that are "authorized" to sync with your ipod
You can just plug your computer to your tv set.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Just watched watched it for the first time. I'm blown away. Truly a masterpiece. It may not be as fast paced as some bike films but its truly remarkable. Loved every minute of it. It made me want to ride, made me want to get out and build. Best bike film I've seen in quite some time. Well done guys

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I really likes it. Watched it twice in 3 days. As some one said, its more about riding than who the rider is. Loved the visual and soundtrack.

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
enjoyed it, but wanted to see more riding in rough terrain

some of the cablecam/zipline shiz was excellent

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
yes to DRM
Ok thanks. I will not be buying it via iTunes then.

You can just plug your computer to your tv set.
I already have that setup, which is why I was asking. I have two computers, want to watch it on both, and don't want to watch it through iTunes since I don't use that program for anything else.

My girlfriend ended up buying it on DVD and we watched it last night. It was pretty awesome. I like the fact that there was more to it than just riding; the factory intro and mechanics shop were pretty cool. The riding it did have was very good but not ground breaking, just well-filmed. I think there was a bit too much slow motion, but that goes for many of the latest bike movies as well. And it could have been another 10 minutes longer as I felt it was just a bit short. Still, I highly recommend everyone watch it.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Man i had my Bluray version on hold forever...anyone care to rip it and post it up somewhere.... this waiting on my Blu-ray is taking too long and quite annoying!

Man i had my Bluray version on hold forever...anyone care to rip it and post it up somewhere.... this waiting on my Blu-ray is taking too long and quite annoying!
Or you could not be a cheapass and buy the $9 HD version off of iTunes?

Sorry, normally I don't have an issue with torrenting or P2P stuff, but when it comes to small indie projects like this (especially ones that are this good), financial support is well deserved.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Or you could not be a cheapass and buy the $9 HD version off of iTunes?

Sorry, normally I don't have an issue with torrenting or P2P stuff, but when it comes to small indie projects like this (especially ones that are this good), financial support is well deserved.
I did support...

I purchased my Blu-ray version which HAS NOT been delivered yet.... PB said they "should" be shipping this week...

why pay for a blu-ray and then go ahead and buy it on Itunes....????

Perhaps, if i purchase the Itunes version i can get my refund from the blu-ray that has yet to be shipped that was i charged for last month?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Just watched LifeCycles on HD... All i can say is WOW... it's definitely not a Bike Movie.... It's a work of art....

Two Thumbs up on the visuals....

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
be careful buying the itunes HD version and watching it via your computer. I tried it on my mac mini to my dell lcd via the HDMI port on the mac and low-and-behold the dell lcd isnt HDCP compliant. Which means I cannot watch the ****ing movie I paid for in the computer I paid for it on.

Hooking it up to my TV via my macbook minidv-to-hdmi worked fine. Just a FYI. No my flatscreen is probably a 4 year old Dell Ultrasharp that works absolutely fantastically so if I want to watch it I have to buy a new monitor.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I watched the download from I-Tunes (courtesy of a friend's account) and have to say whilst I though the movie itself was brilliant and completely different to anything I have seen before involving bikes

the picture quality of the I-Tunes HD download was quite poor with murky blacks and unbalanced colours and even artificats evident in some scenes - seemed to be 720 res. as the file was only 700 meg

this was played on a 23" widescreen Full HD monitor on a high end PC

hopefully my Blu-Ray will show up soon so I can truly enjoy this movie in full HD

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
be careful buying the itunes HD version and watching it via your computer. I tried it on my mac mini to my dell lcd via the HDMI port on the mac and low-and-behold the dell lcd isnt HDCP compliant. Which means I cannot watch the ****ing movie I paid for in the computer I paid for it on.

Hooking it up to my TV via my macbook minidv-to-hdmi worked fine. Just a FYI. No my flatscreen is probably a 4 year old Dell Ultrasharp that works absolutely fantastically so if I want to watch it I have to buy a new monitor.
use a hdmi-dvi adapter. that should work

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
the picture quality of the I-Tunes HD download was quite poor with murky blacks and unbalanced colours and even artificats evident in some scenes - seemed to be 720 res. as the file was only 700 meg
i downloaded the HD version and my HD version on Itnues was 1.5gig Super HD.... lol

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
yes to DRM
I have a problem with this. I would strip the DRM off of it as soon as i bought it. I paid for something, no one is telling me where or on what I can watch it. Sorry Apple.

HDCP is a royal pain in the ass however, but as ih8rice said, an adapter will can that ridiculous feature as well.

Also, I hate the entertainment industry.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have a problem with this. I would strip the DRM off of it as soon as i bought it. I paid for something, no one is telling me where or on what I can watch it. Sorry Apple.

HDCP is a royal pain in the ass however, but as ih8rice said, an adapter will can that ridiculous feature as well.
you can strip apple's DRM off a video or music? i havent been able to find a program that can yet.
i can see how DRM is a good thing with limiting un-authorized distribution/reproduction but their proprietary file extension is a PITA.

and yes, HDCP can be a pain for people with older tv's or monitors trying to use new BD players or something similar. or even with cable boxes that are on the fritz. syncing issues can be a pain, so i use component cable for my cable box.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
you can strip apple's DRM off a video or music? i havent been able to find a program that can yet.
i can see how DRM is a good thing with limiting un-authorized distribution/reproduction but their proprietary file extension is a PITA.

and yes, HDCP can be a pain for people with older tv's or monitors trying to use new BD players or something similar. or even with cable boxes that are on the fritz. syncing issues can be a pain, so i use component cable for my cable box.
the latest build of handbrake can do it. takes some monkeying to "trick" the file, but it can do it.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I have a bunch of itunes money burning a hole in my pocket. Ive decided I want a new bike movie. I have follow me and life cycles already. Im looking for a race season type video. What is out there?

BrianMac

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I gave up waiting for my Blue Ray and grabbed it off of iTunes. I'm glad I did, it really is a wonderful project. There are a couple of moments, like when the first rider emerges on the trail with all of the build up, is fantastic.

At some point it got a little too Koyaanisqatsi and I wanted it to be somehow a more complete film as if they were a little too in love with the composition. That said, lord it's fantastic. So brilliant to see this kind of quality brought to a biking film.

I will say I've watched Follow-me a number of times since grabbing it on iTunes (iPad, bike trainer, gold) and have yet to go back to Life Cycles. I agree that Here We Go Again was disappointing and I'm not even sure why. I watched about half then kind of gave up.

Brian

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
the latest build of handbrake can do it. takes some monkeying to "trick" the file, but it can do it.
Can you post up a "How-to" for computer-tards like myself? I want to burn follow me and life cycles to DVD to watch on my dads big-ass christmas present.