Quantcast

Light DH

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
I am looking for a frame like this- simple, light, and usable with an air shock. It is going to be used mainly for smooth flowy dh. It will be my travel bike-I plan on going to California, Highland Park, or any singletrack in the west/Canada. Any ideas?

I am also light 135-140 so cracking frames should be relatively rare...

The only other ideas I have is a Norco or a Marin.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
I am looking for a frame like this- simple, light, and usable with an air shock. It is going to be used mainly for smooth flowy dh. It will be my travel bike-I plan on going to California, Highland Park, or any singletrack in the west/Canada. Any ideas?

What bike is that? Pretty cool lookin!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Wilson's a pretty legit DH bike. Loose the rear shock and replace with a coil sprung one and you're golden. It's a very light frame, so getting a light weight shouldn't be a problem.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
nothing wrong with a air rear shock. i have a roco wc air on my dh bike and so far i'm loving it.
its air. its totally unsuitable for DH, i rode a DHX A around on a v10 in a parking lot and it proved to me that air shocks are totally unacceptable.

i'm on an evolver, so far i'm loving it. nicest shock I have ever ridden (haven't gotten a chance to do any real riding on a ccdb avy or bos though!)

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
nothing wrong with a air rear shock. i have a roco wc air on my dh bike and so far i'm loving it.
That tidbit of advice came from a guy on the Primary team (also a major part in this frames development). I'm pretty sure they all run coil on the big courses, and at top level you really don't see air anymore. Air shocks just isn't there yet. And yes, I've tried it....

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
it's pretty funny to open a thread and see a pic of your own bike.
i love that wilson. light is nice but also flexy but quickly forgotten on the trail.

just got a Roco WC coil and will compare at whistler with DHX air in next few weeks.
FWIW, most guys i have seen who race this frame run a Roco Coil.

other options - new v10, socom, morewood, dhr (air shock friendly i believe)... i would think the new V10 frame (only) is within a 1/2 pound of the wilson... both with coil shocks would be probably close to the same weight.

the geometry on the wilson is fantastic... the frame is also cheaper than any of the alternatives... why not just buy one here in canada?

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Thats a nice looking bike for sure.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
it's pretty funny to open a thread and see a pic of your own bike.
i love that wilson. light is nice but also flexy but quickly forgotten on the trail.

just got a Roco WC coil and will compare at whistler with DHX air in next few weeks.
FWIW, most guys i have seen who race this frame run a Roco Coil.

other options - new v10, socom, morewood, dhr (air shock friendly i believe)... i would think the new V10 frame (only) is within a 1/2 pound of the wilson... both with coil shocks would be probably close to the same weight.

the geometry on the wilson is fantastic... the frame is also cheaper than any of the alternatives... why not just buy one here in canada?
if you can wait go for the morewood thats coming out at the end of this year(the current prototype) its 2.3:1 leverage ratio must be alot easier on a air shock than a higher leverage ratio and take it from me, the morewood prototype is AMAZING:rant: you wont believe it till you ride it

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
if you can wait go for the morewood thats coming out at the end of this year(the current prototype) its 2.3:1 leverage ratio must be alot easier on a air shock than a higher leverage ratio and take it from me, the morewood prototype is AMAZING:rant: you wont believe it till you ride it

I read the article on it and it looks crazy awesome, but I'm guessin' so does the price. Any guesses on the msrp?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Socom or Slopestyle if 6.6" is enough travel for you.

With the Slopestyle you can save another 1.5 pounds over a Boxxer WC with a Fox Float fork without screwing up the geometry.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Check out a Bullit too, simple, light, and good, a bit more versatile than a pure DH rig so good for a travel bike. Also common enough that finding parts while you're traveling shouldn't be too hard.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
If you want a mini DH bike on the cheap, look at the ReignX. I just got one and it's a full-on 6.7" DH sled. Especially if you set it up with the right wheels and spec. The seat can go really low, stand-over is great, and the angles are spot-on for DH; slack and low with longish stays. I'm running a 160mm fork but I hear with a 170-180mm it really makes the bike a DH ripper.