Quantcast

Light weight slalom/4x/dj hardtail frame?

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Hey,

I know there are probably a million threads on slalom frames, but I just wanted to ask the people directly. I am looking for a slalom/4x/dj frame. I have 3 main constraints:

1. Light Weight
2. Chainstays<16.25"
3. Not crazy expensive.

The best I have found so far is the staats mtx aluminum, and the commencal absolut 4x vip. Both claim to be around 3.9-4lbs.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
You could also consider a Chameleon (or other horizontal drop out alu. frame), and run a Saint rear hub/der. Then slide the axel as far forward as your wheel/tire combo will allow.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
'tis a myriad of sub 500 dollar lightweight choices.
And then a myriad of 500+ choices.

buy something that matches the powdercoat of your cranks and handlebars!

Can I ask, why sub 16.25"? For an actual race bike, and the tracks we race here in the US, it seems a little short to be fun for all the flat corner skittishness?

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Thanks for all the input so far. I want shorter chainstays because I come from a bmx background and want to be able to manual the bike well. I am often much faster manualing than jumping.

I mainly race the collegiate series in the southeast and then race collegiate nationals. I feel somthing with short chainstays will do the trick. Most of what we ride has nice birms. Any reason I should go with longer chainstays?

Also, does anyone have any opinion on tt lengths. Most frames come in regular and long versions. I am 5'7". Now my thoughts are to go with the shorter version of a given frame, but I really have no reason to do so other than the fact I am not tall. Let me know what you think.

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
So you know where I am coming from, the bike I currently ride for slalom/4x/dj is an azonic steelhead pro xl. It rides really well, but I fell it is a little heavy and overbuilt for what I am doing.

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
Also, does anyone have any opinion on tt lengths. Most frames come in regular and long versions. I am 5'7". Now my thoughts are to go with the shorter version of a given frame, but I really have no reason to do so other than the fact I am not tall. Let me know what you think
I'm just a half inch shorter than you and have a 22" tt. It works great for me.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I've got an 2007 chameleon. 4.2lbs for the large, feels great. I also ride BMX, it's pretty easy to transition between the two at the local BMX tracks. I'd try to get an 07 or a used one. The new ones have an EBB and I'm not sure on the CS length but it's not adjustable being vert dropouts.

Apr 1, 2010
I have an 09 Giant STPss. It first weighed in at about 43 pounds w/wheels and since then i have put a carbon stem, cranksystem, and bars in and now it weighs about 33. If you want a good all around bike, i would get the STP, but really you might want to stick with something like a yeti frame to make it really light.