Quantcast

Lightest 29er?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Caffeine 29er at 29 lbs had me thinking:

without getting silly, like drilled out rims, what is a light weight for a hardtail 29er? 25lbs

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Some of the guys around here are zooming around on sub-20lb rigid 29ers.

I haven't weighed my Niner SIR9 yet, but it 'feels' around 21-22 as it sits now (well before last night when it got covered in mud).

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I think the Orbea 29er weighs in around 25 lbs ( carbon frame, racey parts etc.) I haven't seen a stock 29er much lighter...

nalax

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
and 22+ SS. That's with a 5lb frame. A 3 lb Niner Scandium frame would be lighter. The only weight weenie stuff I have are DT RR rims and a Pace fork.
There are a lot of ways to build a light 29er.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
There are some crazy light SS rigids. With a suspension fork and fully geared I think 23 is about as light as you can go.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The Mamasita at Interbike was a shade under 21lbs, geared, with a Pace carbon rigid fork. I suspect that as Bicyclist wrote, about 23lbs is a safe, durable weight to shoot for. I'm sure one could go lower, but possibly at the sacrifice of safety and durability. Well, that and your bank account!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
My Mariachi is at 26lbs right now, but will loose 2lbs pretty soon. I can also drop another lb on race day with my light saddle/seatpost and handlebars I don't normally ride on daily.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
My large RIP 9 is 29.75lbs with pedals. With most of the same kit my AIR 9 was 25.5, both with a Reba, both with King/WTB wheels.
For tires, I was running an Exi/Ignitor combo, on the RIP, it's dual Rampages.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I race my rigid 1x9 currently just under 9kg I guess. If I one day get around to building wheels for it, it'll be 8.2kg. I'm 83kg and kinda strong, so few silly light parts. Frame is even 1750g, fork a rigid steel. It could be so much lighter if that were something I strive for.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I should have weighed my SIR this weekend.

Currently riding a Niner fork with DT 240s SS hubs on DT tk7.1 rims. Thomson and FSA bits finish it off.

I've seen a number of guys riding custom Ti hardtails with Ti forks. A lot of King hubs floating around as well.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Victor - what size did you go with for your 29er?? If memory serves me, you are right around my height - but then again, my memory sucks as of late. ;)

Either way, share the info and a ride report and some pics. Is yours the 2007 Unit 2-9 or the green 2006 version?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
This got me thinking. What's to stop someone from taking a 29er down into the roadbike sub 20-lbs range. A full-carbon 29er frame (Orbea) is probably just a little heavier than your "average" carbon road frame. (< 3lbs). A full carbon rigid fork is just a bit heavier than an "average" carbon road fork.

So what's weighing us down? Only really obvious thing I can think of is tires.

Or is it just a couple of grams here, a couple of grams there....

Which is not to say this stupid-light bike wouldn't be a race-day one-hit wonder.

T-Blazer

Monkey
Jun 8, 2004
rochester,ny
Hey Mark, Its a 06 Unit 2-9 so its the crazy green. Frame size is a 18, and its set up as a SS. Dt 7.1d hoops laced up on a Dimension rear SS cassette, Surly 18 tooth cog, Hope front hub, Dt db spokes. Race Face ss crank, Time pedals, sram pc 68 8 sp chain, Avid bb7 discs with Avid ultimate levers. Thompson post and stem. Salsa moto bars with Kona jack **** grips. Last is the SDG kona race saddle. I will post pics soon.

Victor

HiHoEskimo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2006
Olney, MD
I have been racing a FS 29er Lenz Sport Leviathan for a year now and love it. I made the switch to bigger wheels for better control. With the 29er I am able to get my bars closer to seat height with out the bike becoming unstable. As an XC racer weight overly is important. Ok at, least I think it is. :biggrin: While my Levi is set up fro XC it ’s a very versatile bike. With an XC set up I have been able to even do some dirt jumping and group road rides.

XL Lenz Sport Leviathan Frame w/stock chain Stay Protector – 5.48lbs
Complete Bike with DT 240 hubs and Crow No Tube tires- 25.2lbs
Complete Bike with wire WTB Nano front & Crow Rear- 25.7
Complete Bike with DT 340 Hubs and wire WTB Nanos F&R- 26.2

Wheels are really the only place weight is gained on a 29er. Using DT 240s, No Tubes 355 29er rims and DT Competition spokes make great race wheels. The rims (400g!) can be a bit fragile if not built correctly. No Tubes does have new rims XC rims that are 70g heaver but stronger and stiffer.

http://www.lenzsport.com/leviathan.html

http://www.waramos.com/displayimage.php?album=130&pos=1155

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
A buddy of mine is on a Fisher 29'er. He's got some pretty light stuff on it, like Stan's wheels and Marta SL's, but it's geared and suspended with a Reba and comes in at 22.5.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I heard from the guy who's going to pay for it, they are indeed working on it, and it's going to be done properly from a geometry standpoint.

There's no reason a 29" would outweigh an otherwise identical 26"er by more than 400-450g. Slight bit in the frame (if any at all), 2x150g in the wheels, and 80g in the suspension fork (31.5mm longer uppers and lowers, but generally a shorter steerer).
1 pound = 453.6g, so under a pound if truly built identically, starting with a light 26"er to compare to. In a DH bike difference could be 1.5lb, more material to scale up.
Going from 32h to 36h wheels (8x5=40g spokes) IMO is worth it, to get wheels at similar or even better stiffness than 26". wider hubs would add similar grams and improve things even more.

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
My Kris Holm 29" XC is only 11 pounds! But you had better be good at wheelies before giving her a try. ha ha. But seriously, has anyone tried any of the new Stans 29" rims and his Crow tire? I am thinking about trying the ZTR Flow rim (525 grams) with some light spokes / aluminum nipples for a light and hopefully strong wheel. Traction on a uni is not a huge issue as all the weight is on one tire so the Crow 2.0 semislick (500 grams) should get me down the trails I have the skills to ride.