Quantcast

lightest susp. fork that is still strong enough for DJ/4x ?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
.... is it the 4x World Cup at 4lbs. ?

20mm thru-axle preferred (because of the wheel i have) but not required.

Would this be a stupid idea?

Marzocchi Corsa-SL WC TST '08 Q/R fork, Air 100mm wht NLA

BTI part #: MZ-9722
vendor part #: 9080201
weight: 3.59lb (1630g)
dropout: 9x100mm quick-release
spring type: air
travel: 100mm
adjustability: rebound, compression+lockout
damping: TST-Micro (remote)
color: arctic white
axle-crown: 464mm
brake mount: linear* + disc (6" PM)

SFA: Single Function Air system with three independent air chambers for optimized spring tuning
Remote TST-Micro cartridge design: infinite compression control from open to locked-up/out with handlebar mounted control unit
Forged alloy, drop-design crown with an 1-1/8" pre-pressed aluminum steerer tube
32mm nickel-coated, tapered alloy stanchions and 1-piece forged magnesium lower legs with 9x100mm quick-release dropouts; plus an integrated, front-mount disc tubing guide
Linear and disc brake compatible: 74mm/6" post-mount (max 7" rotor size) *linear brake stud kit sold separately: MZ-524117
Designed for Cross-Country (XC) applications

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
I run a SID world cup. It's working well so far, knock-on-wood.
No joke, I had one lying around, and threw it on a spare parts bike that I now jump on (instead of my 20)

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i have a 426 revelation dual air and the only weigh 3.75. i haven't tried it yet cause my build isn't done. the guy i ride with goes pretty big on the DJ's with one. light and you can get them cheap on ebay.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i was going by the BTI website for the 4 lbs. on the 4x WC....

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/FK/FKSF/MZ/MZ9643?page=1#MZ9643

Marzocchi 4X-WC '08 T-A fork, Air 100mm - white NLA

BTI part #: MZ-9643
vendor part #: 9082101
weight: 4.0lb (1820g)
dropout: 20x110mm thru-axle
adjustability: rebound, compression
damping: RC3
axle-crown: 490mm
brake mount: disc only (6" PM)

Single-sided air spring system with air preload accessibility
RC3 cartridge design: externally adjustable rebound, position sensitive compression, and auto high/low-speed compression damping
Forged alloy, M-design crown with an 1-1/8" pre-pressed aluminum steerer tube (accepts 2006+ Marzocchi fender kit)
32mm nickel coated, tapered alloy stanchions and 1-piece forged magnesium lower legs with 20x110mm bolt-on thru-axle dropouts
Disc brake only: 74mm/6" post-mount (max 8" rotor size)
Designed for 4-Cross (4X), Dirt-Jump (DJ), and Cross-Country (XC) applications

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
i was going by the BTI website for the 4 lbs. on the 4x WC....

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/FK/FKSF/MZ/MZ9643?page=1#MZ9643

Marzocchi 4X-WC '08 T-A fork, Air 100mm - white NLA

BTI part #: MZ-9643
vendor part #: 9082101
weight: 4.0lb (1820g)
dropout: 20x110mm thru-axle
adjustability: rebound, compression
damping: RC3
axle-crown: 490mm
brake mount: disc only (6" PM)

Single-sided air spring system with air preload accessibility
RC3 cartridge design: externally adjustable rebound, position sensitive compression, and auto high/low-speed compression damping
Forged alloy, M-design crown with an 1-1/8" pre-pressed aluminum steerer tube (accepts 2006+ Marzocchi fender kit)
32mm nickel coated, tapered alloy stanchions and 1-piece forged magnesium lower legs with 20x110mm bolt-on thru-axle dropouts
Disc brake only: 74mm/6" post-mount (max 8" rotor size)
Designed for 4-Cross (4X), Dirt-Jump (DJ), and Cross-Country (XC) applications
That is claimed weight. Marzocchi has done some pretty strange things when weighing their forks. Such as removing the crowns for weight. But I know for a fact it is more than 4 pounds.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
4x or fox 32

i know i just gotta ride one to know... but do yall think their talk about it "behaving more like a coil than air" is true ?

do yall jump with it locked out ?

Fox 32 Talas RLC Suspension Fork 2008
Product Description

The perfect all-rounder, from steep climbs to your favorite downhill, the 32 Talas™ has you covered. Fox’s proven Talas (travel adjust linear air spring) concept with its quick three-stage system, adjustable with a 90 degree sweep of a lever, setting travel between 140-120-and 100 mm. Combined with their legendary steering precision and incredibly stiff chassis, and the ultra-refined and patented RLC open bath system, the lightweight and feature packed Talas is a sure bet for any trail condition.

Fox’s patented RLC damper became the bicycle suspension performance standard soon after its introduction in 2001 and has been evolving ever since. It relies upon highly sophisticated multiple oil-flow circuits and shimmed damping control to deliver the goods, At the user end, new laser etched markings on the top cap adjustment cluster makes for easier on-the-fly use.

Travel Adjustable Linear Air Spring. It’s an air spring with a secondary air chamber that creates a spring curve much more linear, and less progressive than a standard air spring. In short, it behaves much more like a coil than air. Fox improved the TALAS adjuster user interface. The new TALAS II delivers full-travel or snappy handling with a quick, three position, 90-degree flick of a lever. On 32mm forks, the three positions offer 140, 120, or 100mm of travel. The linear, air-spring rate adapts to wherever it is set, maintaining the correct spring preload and providing silky smooth, coil-like performance in all three travel settings.

Low-speed compression damping is adjusted with the blue bezel ring below the blue lockout lever, and has 8 clicks of adjustment. Compression damping controls the speed at which the fork compresses. Adjust low-speed compression with lockout disabled (lockout lever fully counterclockwise). As a starting point, turn the low-speed compression dial all the way counterclockwise (full out) until it stops, then turn clockwise (in) 5 clicks.

Even when your fork is fully locked out, there are instances when you still want your fork to absorb a hit. Fox forks use hydraulic lockout. This provides a more supple feel even when the fork is locked out. However, to protect your fork’s internal parts, your Fox fork will “blowoff” when it encounters an intense hit. You can adjust when the forks blows off – threshold – by adjusting the blue knob on the bottom of the right fork leg. A convenient tuning feature of the blowoff threshold knob is that it allows you to leave your fork in the locked out position – no more fiddling with fork controls when the trail requires your undivided attention. Although you might need to adjust the knob a few times to find the sweet spot, once it is found you can just leave your fork in the locked out position. Your fork will then respond to hits in the trail (above threshold), for example, but will be locked out (below threshold) when you are out of your seat on a climb. There are 12 clicks of adjustment. As a starting point, turn the knob all the way clockwise until it stops, then back off one click counterclockwise.

The blue compression lockout lever is located below the red rebound adjuster knob. It allows the rider to close the compression damping circuit in the fork. This keeps the fork at the top of its travel, making it harder to compress. Rotate the lever fully clockwise to lockout the fork. This position is useful in climbing and sprinting situations, but will sag with the rider’s weight. The fork will “blowoff” in the event that a big hit is encountered with the fork locked out. To unlock the fork, simply rotate the lever fully counterclockwise.

The rebound knob is located on the top of the right fork leg. Rebound controls the speed at which the fork extends after compressing. Turning the knob clockwise slows down rebound; turning the knob counterclockwise speeds up rebound. The 32 rebound knob has 12 clicks of adjustment. As a starting point, turn the rebound adjuster knob all the way clockwise (full in) until it stops, then turn counterclockwise (out) 6 clicks.

Air spring pressure is for setting sag. To get the best performance from your fork, it is necessary to set and adjust sag. (amount a shock or fork compresses with the rider sitting on the bike in a normal riding position. Best measured with an assistant holding your bike up and with the rider in full riding gear. On a fork, It is helpful to place a zip tie around one of the upper tubes.) Generally, sag should be set to 15-25% of total fork travel.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I have the fox 100 rl on my dirt jump bike. Its the qr version, but I run a bolt on axle. Im not sure how light it is but its light. I dont dirt jump with it locked out, Im too scared to try, but I do race bmx with it locked out and have never had any problems with it.

chipper

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
sac town
also look at the x fusion velvet r fork. all of the black market guys ride it and i have one on my 4x and dj/street bike. they weigh in at a little under 4 pounds

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you really want light, and aren't a hack you might be able to get away with one of the new 20mm Rebas. 3.5# claimed IIRC.

chipper

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
sac town
yes if you lower a fork 20mm it will make it more durable in the legs but thats about it. most forks when they break are not there it is the steer crown or arch.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
2009 Revelation lowered. My friend lowered his from 140mm down to 70mm and its super stiff and super light. 70mm wouldn't be very good for 4x, but if you lowered it to 100mm, the 40mm overlap would add stiffness.

chipper

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
sac town
the stiffness that matters for 4x and dirt jumping is not the back and forth it is the side to side that is important and lowering a fork does not help that. what helps most is a bolt on front hub with a solid axle