Quantcast

Lightest Tubeless Rims You Feel Safe Using?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
They are also not that light. 2150g is not really great considering new easton dh wheels are 1850g and supposely they have a 1600g carbon dh wheelset for the next year.
It's funny what a couple years can do. I have a set of the silver Deemax's that registered 2215g on my scale when I built my current DH bike 2 years ago. At the time, they were fairly light (especially being UST), but not really anymore, as you mentioned. And, it will be sweet when 1600g DH wheelsets come down to a reasonable price!

On a separate note, Stan's can't be too far from a DH rim, as Sun Ringle is licensing the Stan's profile for the new ADD wheelsets. But, apparently the license agreement says Ringle can only sell complete wheels, not individual rims. So, a "Stan's" DH rim does exist, but it is made/sold by Sun Ringle and only available as a pre-built wheel.
http://www.sun-ringle.com/mtb/wheelsets/add/

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Is this 30mm inner or outer width of the rim?
Do anyknow knows the weight of this rim?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've always wondered, was it better to go for narrower, but stronger (different, better material) or wider, but softer/weaker rim?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Flow's are 22.6mm wide right? Pffff I bet you can't feel that 1.6mm difference.
Yeah but IMO Flows are to thin for DH, and I reckon you would notice the steeper tyre profile, especially compared to the narrowest acceptable rim IMO the 823. Also seems fatter tyres are making a bit of a comeback with more real 2.5 width tyres being used.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
721's have worked well for a lot of people i know. i know i had a 729 that i couldn't kill. i'm gonna try 721's on my next wheel build for the DH bike to try and save some weight. i really wish mavic made a 725 sized rim...

it seems like the biggest deciding factor for tubeless is what tire you are using. i've converted plenty of non UST/tubeless rims with little more than yellow tape, a decent valve stem and some stans with no problems.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Unfortunately for all use consumers, making a longer lasting, lighter wheel fits into NO successful business model. DH'ers have been conditioned to accept there role a R&D monkeys on there own dime.........and there are few parts that are as expendable as rims.
Spoke wheels aren't going to make many giant technological advancements from here on out IMO. Sure Mavic will come out with some fancy new alloy and Carbon or resin products will start getting cheaper and more affordable, but I doubt any of us will ever ride a 1600g DH worthy wheel set.

I hope I'm wrong ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Unfortunately for all use consumers, making a longer lasting, lighter wheel fits into NO successful business model. DH'ers have been conditioned to accept there role a R&D monkeys on there own dime.........and there are few parts that are as expendable as rims.
Spoke wheels aren't going to make many giant technological advancements from here on out IMO. Sure Mavic will come out with some fancy new alloy and Carbon or resin products will start getting cheaper and more affordable, but I doubt any of us will ever ride a 1600g DH worthy wheel set.

I hope I'm wrong ;)
Actually the easton catalog has a 1560g carbon dh wheelset in it if Frango is right. Not that we can afford a 2k$+ wheelset but it is doable. Also if my new test spokes fit my front hub/rim my front wheel will be ~800g.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Actually the easton catalog has a 1560g carbon dh wheelset in it if Frango is right. Not that we can afford a 2k$+ wheelset but it is doable. Also if my new test spokes fit my front hub/rim my front wheel will be ~800g.

My fingers are crossed :thumb:

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
could you elaborate on your setup?
and which easton wheelset? not that i'm into that kind of stuff, but i've got a strange interest in the morbid side of weigtweenyism.

p.s: i'm drunk

Last edited:

RUFNUT

Chimp
Jul 19, 2009
Ozz
I have been running a 819 up front now for four months so far all good. It gives the tyre a very round profile which seems to work well for me. Have a 823 on rear which has one small dent after a year any other rims I have owned would of been stuffed by now. Mavic are the only way to roll for tubless rims.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
could you elaborate on your setup?
and which easton wheelset? not that i'm into that kind of stuff, but i've got a strange interest in the morbid side of weigtweenyism.

p.s: i'm drunk
Thats a quote from Frango. He spotted them in a local distributor catalog aimed at shops. The price FOR SHOPS here was 6500zł which is around 2k$. Add a 30% margin and I doubt anyone can afford them.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
721's have worked well for a lot of people i know. i know i had a 729 that i couldn't kill. i'm gonna try 721's on my next wheel build for the DH bike to try and save some weight. i really wish mavic made a 725 sized rim...

it seems like the biggest deciding factor for tubeless is what tire you are using. i've converted plenty of non UST/tubeless rims with little more than yellow tape, a decent valve stem and some stans with no problems.
721s overall diameter is too small IMO for tubeless(well with Maxis)the tyres blow off to easily, even with a 20" tube under them. The 521s diameter is way smaller than a MTX 33 I stood it up next to.

they actually measure closer to 2.5 FYI
I think he obviously gets that. He responded to me saying "more real 2.5 width tyres being used", so seems he knows 2.7 Maxxis is 2.5 most other brands.

I've had an 823 totally egged(massive flat spot), wrecked the rim, but the tyre stayed up. Also had MTX33s dented to all hell set up ghetto(20" tube style)stay up also(sometimes they leak more over time, but pumped before a ride they stay up). 823s have a nice dent resistant thick lip at the bead.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Thats a quote from Frango. He spotted them in a local distributor catalog aimed at shops. The price FOR SHOPS here was 6500zł which is around 2k$. Add a 30% margin and I doubt anyone can afford them.
Yes, I did see Havoc DH Carbon wheels in local distro catalog. Then, I saw them, however, with no details, on distro's dealers portal. The price was, indeed, very high.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I remember Easton claiming they have to iron out a few details before they release them with the same no questions asked warranty their haven carbon wheels offer.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Having experienced Easton's legendary snail like customer services once already for my 2011 Havoc wheelset & currently 7 weeks into my second wheelset warranty/refund, they could bring out a sub 1000g DH wheelset for $500 with a lifetime warranty and I still wouldn't look at it.

Ironically, they haven't even been used for DH, they made it as far as my trail bike.

A set of Flow's on 240's with Revolutions is lighter, and so far considerably stronger. I've got a set of 3 year old Flow's on my DH bike & they are still going strong. Plenty strong enough for me.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Flows feel kind of flexy and I'm not a fan of the profile they give a big tire but their durability is freaky. I've crushed several of my practice rims and been forced to use my Flow/240/Revolution race wheels for a lot of runs in the last 4 years and they still look perfect. Maybe dumb luck but weird that they've held up better than my 550g+ practice rims.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
^That's why I just duct tape the rim. Two wraps just wider than the holes weighs nearly nothing. It's worked fine on every rim I've tried it on, though the Syncros DT32s were so small diameter/loose that inflating was a pain.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Flows feel kind of flexy and I'm not a fan of the profile they give a big tire but their durability is freaky. I've crushed several of my practice rims and been forced to use my Flow/240/Revolution race wheels for a lot of runs in the last 4 years and they still look perfect. Maybe dumb luck but weird that they've held up better than my 550g+ practice rims.
I'm in the same boat as you, so I'd be surprised if it was attributable to luck. Everyone called me out when i said i had 3+ year old flows I was still riding. They are unreal.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
if the op hasn't bought hubs yet, check out Sun Ringle's new ADD Pro wheelset. Tubeless, 28 spoke, straight pull spokes, 1999g for the wheelset. The rims use Stans beadlock technology (as does all Sun Ringle tubeless rims) I just picked up a set but haven't got much time on them yet. All I know for sure is they sealed up really well without any hassles.

http://www.sun-ringle.com/mtb/wheelsets/add/

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/04/20/sun-ringle-debuts-a-d-d-tubeless-downhill-mountain-bike-wheelset-w-stans-rims/

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I'm in the same boat as you, so I'd be surprised if it was attributable to luck. Everyone called me out when i said i had 3+ year old flows I was still riding. They are unreal.
A week at northstar on a blur LT with flows, that was 2 and a half years ago, and literally ride every trail. The wheels are still going strong today

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It very much depends on riding style. My front stans holds up to abuse but I know people around my weight who destroy front and rear every year. Riding similar amount and similarly fast.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
^I'm careful about picking the right tire pressure for each course and I make the trials and errors in the first few practice runs so that's probably why I've crushed several practice rim sidewalls but by the time the Flows go on I've got pressure dialed and know which rocks to avoid slamming. The end of the steepish rock garden at Northstar ProGRT last year was a perfect example. SLAMMED that sharp one in the line my first practice lap and had to swap wheels. Every subsequent run I knew to be careful of that rock. I don't think I did the section quite as fast as my first attempt but no more damage and I still placed 22nd. I need some crushproof rims so I can go the speed I want and get a top 10. BTW, I was running 34psi in the rear when I crushed it and went up to 35 after. That's with a Minion 2.7". It would be nice to use the kind of pressures I see some top pros quote.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Im running sub 30 all the time. I was using sub 20 when I had 823s on the front and rode mellower tracks

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm thinking AtomLab PimpLites are the best wheel package out.
150mm rear is 1119g(quoted).
20mm front is 989g (quoted).
Rear hub has good amount of clicks, and good weight, front hub is as light as they come. Wheels come in several colours.
Rims seem to be as tough as 823s. IMO possibly dent the same but maybe the Pimps crack a bit easier, still super tough though.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
I'm thinking AtomLab PimpLites are the best wheel package out.
150mm rear is 1119g(quoted).
20mm front is 989g (quoted).
Rear hub has good amount of clicks, and good weight, front hub is as light as they come. Wheels come in several colours.
Rims seem to be as tough as 823s. IMO possibly dent the same but maybe the Pimps crack a bit easier, still super tough though.
I can't find anywhere in Oz that sells them as I'm after some new wheels for this year. I'm 90kg with gear and our tracks are rocky. Would they hold up to my occational "spirited" line choices :)

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
Any idea if anyone is Australia sells them? CRC has the rims which I could alway buy and just build up with the same hubs I have now. Just can't find complete wheelset anywhere.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
are those wtb rims 23mm internal width? that link doesn't say. also doesn't say if it's welded or pinned. interesting how marketing teams can work with web designers to devote a page to a product filled with 'info' and somehow leave out the two pieces of info customers typically want to know.

edit: yup, 23 mm apparently, at least according to an mtbr thread. and apparently the actual weight is equal to the claimed weight. usually WTB products are heavier than claimed, IME.

Last edited: