Quantcast

Lightish 29" Alloy Rims?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey folks, question for everyone. I am in need of a new wheelset and after running carbon rims on several bikes over the past few years I am thinking I'll go back to alloy for a bit more of a supple ride. Who is running some i35 ish rims which are reasonably light they really like? Primary usage will be trail riding...Not looking for a full wheel set as I'll be lacing them up to some Onyx hubs. Thanks!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have an old pair of spank oozy trail rims that i like. they're not the lightest, but were light-ish at the time (from what i recall for the 26" version) and have been durable. i wasn't crazy about their valve stems though, and that ooh-bah rim profile they have takes a little extra focus to tape, but i wouldn't say its a dealbreaker. riding wise i've been happy with the rims. i have a set of vibrocore bars, i'd be curious to try the vibrocore rims

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I see retirement is coming in your 30s. Try sit and be fit. Worked great for my neighbor. :P

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Well my friend
Dt swiss....

Xm531 is an all mountain rated 35mm rim...
I'd want something stronger out back.
They so make an overkill strong i35 called an hx581 but is expensive and heavy.

I'd do an EX511 30mm rear if you want it strong.
Or an xm481 30mm rear if you want it light and decent strength.

The real difference between the two is mostly in the bead thickness so, dent resistance.

Also I've got a bike with 35mm carbon rims and with a 2.5 the rim is very exposed. I wouldn't select a 35mm for the rear again.

I helped my friend pick out a hx531 35mm front and ex511 30mm rear for his tranny patrol and he's really into trolling for the trannies with it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I too was generally pleased with Spank's Oozy rims, but I really have a hard time with their name, and since you can't strip the decals off, I looked elswhere.

I'm running Chromag Phase 30 rims now. After some build-related issues, they are now tight and running solid. I'm impressed. They are a little heavier though.

I had also been contemplating the Newmen A.30 rims, but don't have any first hand info to report on.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well my friend
Dt swiss....

Xm531 is an all mountain rated 35mm rim...
I'd want something stronger out back.
They so make an overkill strong i35 called an hx581 but is expensive and heavy.

I'd do an EX511 30mm rear if you want it strong.
Or an xm481 30mm rear if you want it light and decent strength.

The real difference between the two is mostly in the bead thickness so, dent resistance.

Also I've got a bike with 35mm carbon rims and with a 2.5 the rim is very exposed. I wouldn't select a 35mm for the rear again.

I helped my friend pick out a hx531 35mm front and ex511 30mm rear for his tranny patrol and he's really into trolling for the trannies with it.
Thank you!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Check Newmen 's rims.
I run their evolution sl xa25 (25mm innerwidth) on my trail bike and find them really resistant to dents for 400g rims!
They also have wider rims that my riding buddies like. FWIW

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
After a negative experience with E.13's TRS+ rims, swapped the rear rim to a Spank 350. Very much on the lightweight side for an alloy rim and it held up well for a couple of seasons, but then had a catastrophic failure related to casing a fairly small jump - I don't think the rim should have failed like that. I spoke with the guys at Spank and the rep seemed to agree that it wasn't the strongest rim, instead recommending a 350 front and 359 rear rim. Unfortunately they were sold out, but I'd like to try in the future. Agree that the name is stupid, and I really hate taping their wonky OohBah rim bed, but the rims are fairly solid and build up well.

I'm now on a WTB KOM Tough rim, which is a reasonable weight but has some internal bracing that should make it hold up well for a rear rim. Unfortunately I've been having issues with the wheel keeping tension, but it seems to be holding its shape well and I've had good luck with WTB rims in the past.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
For a Maxxis 2.5 or smaller personally I like 28-30mm internal. 35mm makes the tire square off too much for me.

My first choice would be the DT Swiss XM481. It seems to be the strongest out of the lighter alloy options. The others that were marginally lighter didn't seem to be nearly as strong. I built new alloy wheels in the early spring and the only reason I didn't choose them was price (outside my budget).

I wound up getting Stan's Flow Mk3 due to price (pair for $125). I wasn't expecting much from them but have been very pleased with them so far. Build quality was much better than expected and they built up nice and straight.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maxxis WT tires pair well with 35mm rims but I do not like the profile other tires of similar size work on those wide rims. A lot more options with a 30 mm rim.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The ARC's were supposedly made out of Swiss cheese. The Offset ARC's are supposed to be a good bit stronger.
Both mine were the offset ones.

This is from the recent one. Hit a rock on this one, it didn't slice the tire but there was no way it would seal. Thanks Pisgah. I had to toss it recently after the spoke holes started to crack in a different spot - don't remember hitting anything there, but was after a few days of riding at MSA. :confused:

The other rim had the tire bead fold right over towards the center of the rim. Immediately had to toss it out.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Like many others, I destroyed an ARC30 fairly easily.

For the OP question: I'd go with Stan's Flow MK3 front and rear if you're looking for good quality light-ish alloy rims. I've had numerous rims from Stan's in the past and they've all been very good.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've had good luck with EX500s, then EX471s, for many years. No cracking, and any dents could be massaged out enough to still work. If I was getting something a bit wider I'd do the EX511s, although you're not getting the lightest thing out there at that point. Other friends have had pretty good luck with Stans.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm a fan of both 471s and Flows.

I've been debating 471 vs 511 for the wheels I'm having built up soon in 29". I was all set on finally making the leap to 30mm ID, but my question vis-a-vis World Cups has me doubting the performance of a wide rim.

I also often ride a 2.35 rear, though with the WIld Rockr2 being discontinued, I may be on 2.5s once my stack of Miches runs out.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Both mine were the offset ones.

This is from the recent one. Hit a rock on this one, it didn't slice the tire but there was no way it would seal. Thanks Pisgah. I had to toss it recently after the spoke holes started to crack in a different spot - don't remember hitting anything there, but was after a few days of riding at MSA. :confused:

The other rim had the tire bead fold right over towards the center of the rim. Immediately had to toss it out.
Is that an Offset ARC or an Offset AR? AR's of any variation are supposed to be made from Swiss cheese. The only ones that seems to hold up is the Offset Arc or Offset Arc HD.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I'm a fan of both 471s and Flows.

I've been debating 471 vs 511 for the wheels I'm having built up soon in 29". I was all set on finally making the leap to 30mm ID, but my question vis-a-vis World Cups has me doubting the performance of a wide rim.

I also often ride a 2.35 rear, though with the WIld Rockr2 being discontinued, I may be on 2.5s once my stack of Miches runs out.
Do an xm481 front @ 30mm
Ritchie rude was riding them with 28 spokes.... he probably buckled one and quit, but your not ritchie rude right?
And a ex471 rear @ 25mm

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
"only" 29mm, but the mk3 flows are solid. 527g (29"), build up very nicely, have a svelte low profile (bit more compliant), and the stickers come off easily.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Do an xm481 front @ 30mm
Ritchie rude was riding them with 28 spokes.... he probably buckled one and quit, but your not ritchie rude right?
And a ex471 rear @ 25mm
That's my go to set up on my enduro bike, just with 32 spokes everywhere...
I found that a little bit on the heavy duty side of things for trail riding. But that might be just me?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Forgot to mention earlier that I've run Stan's rims successfully many times, but my main issue with them is how thin the sidewall is, which leads to more frequent cuts in tire sidewalls from pinch flats and possibly being easier to dent.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
%
That's my go to set up on my enduro bike, just with 32 spokes everywhere...
I found that a little bit on the heavy duty side of things for trail riding. But that might be just me?
you have the 30mm/25mm combo?
if you wanted to lighten it up perhaps 1.5mm front spokes, and xm421 25mm rear w/1.8 spokes would be suitable