Quantcast

lights - 2 weak ones or 1 strong one?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, I'm probably going to break down and buy a light (or two). I don't want to spend a ton of money, so I'm looking at three options:
- one 5W Versalite Code 5, helmet mounted. I'm pretty sure this won't be enough, but I'm open to input.
- two 5W Versalite Code 5s, one helmet mounted, one bar mounted.
- one 10W light helmet mounted, probably a NiteRider Trail Rat.

FWIW... both lights are rated at over 2 hours of burn time, which is sufficient for me.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i have a NiteRider HID Storm. It's frikkin so bright i can see the bones in my hand when i hold it up against the beam. Really it's super super bright....
i dunno if i had to do it all over again i might just go with two trail rats one for the helmet one for the bike. Might make it more fun, since half of the fun is not being able to see well. With the Storm you could turn off your head lights and drive down the road with your car..... a little overkill.....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
i have a NiteRider HID Storm. It's frikkin so bright i can see the bones in my hand when i hold it up against the beam. Really it's super super bright....
i dunno if i had to do it all over again i might just go with two trail rats one for the helmet one for the bike. Might make it more fun, since half of the fun is not being able to see well. With the Storm you could turn off your head lights and drive down the road with your car..... a little overkill.....
No way Id ride around in the PacNW at night. Not with that sasquatch out there and all.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
OK, I'm probably going to break down and buy a light (or two). I don't want to spend a ton of money, so I'm looking at three options:
The 5w lights will not be enough light for night riding. You should try and get a 10w or 12w for a helmet mount. I prefer a helmet mount to a bar-mount if I only get one or the other. I'll throw another one in the mix for you. Marwi
I have one and it's plenty of light for night riding, not a HID, but it's pretty good.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you ride with groups in the winter with snow a bright light can work to well. The shadows and overshine can be annoying in tight groups. The guy with the HID never is in front. 2 5w lights is all I run in the winter, one helmet one bar. For the fall with the leaves and the conditions you ride in (same as here) a bright light is handy but not totally necessary. I worry more about battery run times then I do brightness. Sometimes if I know the trail well enough I turn my lights of and use everyone elses. I ride at night about 3/4 times a week. Plus cheap lights are just as durable as the expensive ones. They all break eventually. I buy stuff I can buy parts for too. I can't afford to be replacing expensive stuff.....jdcamb

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Just a heads up. The niterider "trail rat" does NOT have a helmet mount. It only comes with a bar mount. If you want to mount the light to your helmet (and with only one light i prefer it to be helmet mounted) you have to buy the Niterider "evolution". The "evolution" is the exact same light as the trailrat it just includes a helmet mount and a better bar mount. Me and my buddies all use the Nite rider evolution. None of us have had any problems. I think i spent around $100 for it at my LBS.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have found that no matter how powerful the lights are it is never a good idea to have two light the same power, assuming one is a bar light and the other is a helmet. The bar light being closer to the ground and usually pointed closer to the rider tends to wash out the helmet light. One 10 watt would be much better than two 5's

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Westy said:
I have found that no matter how powerful the lights are it is never a good idea to have two light the same power, assuming one is a bar light and the other is a helmet. The bar light being closer to the ground and usually pointed closer to the rider tends to wash out the helmet light. One 10 watt would be much better than two 5's
I run 2 10w bulbs (one flood - bar & one spot - helmet) and I haven't run into that problem. If he buys the Vistalite he can upgrade one of the bulbs ($12) to a spot if it doesn't already come that way. The helmet bar combo is the best IMO. .....jdcamb

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jdcamb said:
I run 2 10w bulbs (one flood - bar & one spot - helmet) and I haven't run into that problem. If he buys the Vistalite he can upgrade one of the bulbs ($12) to a spot if it doesn't already come that way. The helmet bar combo is the best IMO. .....jdcamb
Good point, a wide angle on a bar light would help. I'm spoiled though, I like to run a HID helmet with a 20watt bar light.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I had a halogen bar light and a HID helmet light at Old Pueblo last year, the bar light was useless. Now I just run a HID helmet light and it works fine.

I hear that there are benefits to having both bar and helmet, but I couldn't see them.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
would you rather have two crappy bikes or one really nice one? exactly.