Quantcast

Lightweight and blinged out 08' SOCOM w/ PUSHed Boxxer proto...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I could tell you that but then I'd have to kill you...

:biggrin:

Rumor has it this guy ---> (S.K.C.) is getting his hands on a PUSHed Boxxer proto too...

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The mods Darren did to our Boxxer:

Complete Overhaul with new fluids, seals, and o-rings PUSH Exclusive Vault Damper seal housing featuring the upper and lower guide bearing design and custom Urethane Rod Seal.

Granted its not the full Push Factory System setup yet as he's still working that out.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So just to be devil's advocate here, do you think it is a viable upgrade, or just a different design? I've never had any issues with the seals in the 3 years I've owned mine..

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
How much is Push charging to do a boxxer? I would imagine $215 like their other forks? To me, it seems a bit steep considering the only thing special (it sounds) is the 'vault damper seal housing.' Seals, fluids, and o-rings are cheap and easily replaceable at home.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
uhhhhhh....

The mods Darren did to our Boxxer:

Complete Overhaul with new fluids, seals, and o-rings PUSH Exclusive Vault Damper seal housing featuring the upper and lower guide bearing design and custom Urethane Rod Seal.

Granted its not the full Push Factory System setup yet as he's still working that out.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
So essentially nothing important has been changed yet and despite having a few Push parts, it's still got all the original Boxxer damping... why bother mentioning it really? If that was just a home job yeah maybe you'd consider it "modified" but coming from a company who are capable of making entire dampers and stuff, it's pretty insignificant.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
So essentially nothing important has been changed yet and despite having a few Push parts, it's still got all the original Boxxer damping... why bother mentioning it really? If that was just a home job yeah maybe you'd consider it "modified" but coming from a company who are capable of making entire dampers and stuff, it's pretty insignificant.
and when they make them is when it will be available to the general public. there only doin "special" peoples boxxers right now. when its all good to go is when theyll announce it and you can get your hands on one.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I'd like to know how 'sub' 35 that complete bike is, compared to mine, the only thing I can see thats lighter is the Boxxer WC. Some of the other parts are around the same weight, but most are heavier...

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
So just to be devil's advocate here, do you think it is a viable upgrade, or just a different design? I've never had any issues with the seals in the 3 years I've owned mine..
Well its not in its final version yet but it does feel quite good. Pricing isn't determined yet so its hard to say if its worth it. If you're @ the rock next weekend you can ride it if you'd like (if it fits ya). Acadian did a writeup on some of the tech info done to it if you're interested in knowing more but i'm waiting on some responses from Darren but he's been pretty busy.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I'd like to know how 'sub' 35 that complete bike is, compared to mine, the only thing I can see thats lighter is the Boxxer WC. Some of the other parts are around the same weight, but most are heavier...
The numbers are in there to go look at if you're curious.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I see the rest is up now. They are only 0.4lb lighter than me, which isn't bad, seeing as i'm running a Fox 40 which is what, 0.8lb heavier than a Boxxer WC...

I think I could get mine around the same weight without a fork swap. Now there's a challenge for me :D

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I see the rest is up now. They are only 0.4lb lighter than me, which isn't bad, seeing as i'm running a Fox 40 which is what, 0.8lb heavier than a Boxxer WC...

I think I could get mine around the same weight without a fork swap. Now there's a challenge for me :D
You're running 2.35" tires though right? That's another 1.5-2lb off we could take off if want to play that game :imstupid:

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Not really, there is very little 'real' difference between the 2.35 & 2.5" UST High Rollers in dual ply format. IIRC the 2.35" I weighed were ~ 1200g. They just happen to roll a lot faster for me...

Worth baring in mind though, Maxxis tyres vary massively in weight, even on a like for like tyre. On another forum I use a guy weighed 8 tyres, all the same & they varied by as much as 100g. Scary.

Like the 6 speed idea though, I tend to hover round the middle of the block & often wonder why I bother with 9 gears when I use 5 or 6 at most.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Not really, there is very little 'real' difference between the 2.35 & 2.5" UST High Rollers in dual ply format. IIRC the 2.35" I weighed were ~ 1200g. They just happen to roll a lot faster for me...

Worth baring in mind though, Maxxis tyres vary massively in weight, even on a like for like tyre. On another forum I use a guy weighed 8 tyres, all the same & they varied by as much as 100g. Scary.
I'll have to give them a go sometime and see. Yea tire weight variance can be pretty wide.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

Like the 6 speed idea though, I tend to hover round the middle of the block & often wonder why I bother with 9 gears when I use 5 or 6 at most.
My UST 2.35 supertacky highrollers are 950g...

EVeryone seems to be copying my cut-down cassette (circa 2002!) idea, basts!

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
There are 3 DH10's at the factory all slated for Pro riders... None for Semi Pros:(

They said April 7th, but that isn't going to happen.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
My UST 2.35 supertacky highrollers are 950g...
They must be single ply then...

We often get asked tyre weights around the mid-weight tyres where people don’t want to be dragging round a Dual Ply Maxxis DH tyre (always over 1kg) and are looking for something quicker for all-day use but still able to handle some rocky stuff.*

All tyres are single-ply wall thickness & 60a MaxxPro rubber compound unless stated:

Advantage 2.25 Kevlar - 664-687g (6 weighed) average of 667g
Advantage 2.4 - 821-857g (4 weighed) average of 828g

High Roller 2.35 Kevlar - 646g
High Roller Wire 2.35 60a - to be added
High Roller Wire 2.35 42a - 840-860g (3 weighed) average of 850g
High Roller UST 2.35 42a - 930-950g (2 weighed) average of 940g
High Roller 2.5 Wire - 870- 890g (2 weighed) average of 880g

Ignitor Exception 62a 2.35 - to be added
Ignitor Exception 2.35 LUST - 823 -830g (2 weighed) average of 827g

Minion Kevlar 2.35 Kevlar fr - 741-757g (2 weighed) average of 749g
Minion Kevlar 2.35 Kevlar rr - 731g
Minion Wire 2.35 fr - 810g
Minion Wire 2.35 rr - 810g
Minion Wire 2.35 42a rr - 870g
Minion Wire 2.5 fr - 860g
Minion Wire 2.5 rr - 900g

*Disclaimer: These are some weights of tyres that we’ve got in stock today (5 December 07) and should be used as a rough guide only as tyre weights will vary from batch to batch. We’ll widen our sample as more come into stock and it should get more accurate over time.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
The Maxxis site is next to useless with info, but from what I can gather, they have done both single ply & dual ply in the past, but it is now LUST or dual ply. That would seem about right based on weights, as the LUST 2.35" High Rollers are ~950g as well.

A definative answer would be good though - that info I took was from the justridingalong.com website, they are pretty hot on all things UST.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well mine definitely AREN'T LUST ones. Or they're not labelled as it anyway, and the shop I bought them from sells both and I chose the non-LUST ones.

Yeah I know the guys at JRA and I'm sure their weights are accurate, especially since they tally with mine.

I think what we're getting at is that 2.35" USTs are single ply, and 2.5" USTs are double ply.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
If they are, mine must be the heaviest single ply UST's in the world, because they were both just over 1200g :D

Might email Maxxis & see if they can shed some light on it...

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Are you racing? What do you ride? I'll keep an eye out & say hello if I see you :)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Sweet build!
Did Intense change the tubing along with the geometry? Just wondering because your 08 large frame is only 20 g heavier than a 07 in M (both works). Or did Intense hook you up with some "team issue" frame?