Quantcast

"Lightweight" Freeride Tires?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I'm trying to find the best performing DH/FR tires with the lightest weight possible. The smallest I'd like to go is a 2.5 and I want to lighten up my rolling weight a bit.

My current setup:
Front - Maxxis Mobster 2.7
Rear - Gozzi Jr. 2.6

Both of those tires are heavy as all get out, but offer awesome performance--especially the Mobster. Does anyone have any suggestions of bomber, beefy tires that come in less than 1000 grams or lighter?

I'm not too sure if they exist.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
In this thread the smaller mobsters and the WTB weirwolfs were recommended. If you like your current mobster, you should consider the 2.5, matched to a 2.35 in the rear... that would definitely cut some weight.

The WTBs seem to be the lightest big tire around, but I doubt they have any sidewall if that's important to you...

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I didn't realize the Mobsters came in 2.5's! I don't want to have some lightweight tire with weenie sidewalls, that's for sure. I just might have to suck up some weight and just go with the mobster 2.5's.

I've heard good and bad about the WTB Weirwolf's. Some say they suck and others say they are the bomb.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Well, I can suggest that you NOT use Ritchey Z-maxes. I picked up a pair of those in 2.35 thinking WOW - a 650g tire in 2.35!! I'm in heaven!! Well, not really - the sidewalls appear to be made out of saran wrap. I've never really been hard on sidewalls, but in six rides, I put a total of four or five cuts in the sidewalls, and a massive cut through the tread/casing. Not to mention the pinchflats at 60psi.

Z-max Millennium = crap!!

I love my 2.5 Mobster and 2.35 High roller; they're not too heavy and they have none of the problems that the Richeys did....

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Yeah, after riding the 2.7 Mobster for this season, I can't imagine having anything else. I just want a little lighter wieght so I don't get killed on the climbs anymore.

I will gladly sacrifice some add'l weight if it means saving my a$$ on descents. The Mobster's are the best front tire I've ever owned.

Nobody has to convince me to get the Mobster 2.5's... I just didn't realize they made a 2.5.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like my Gazzy Duals.. But I do get a flat every once in a while when I case a curb badly. Only when I hit real hard, though: when I was still learning how to hop my full suspension properly, I cased many a curb, and they survived, but once in a while..

I'm going to give Stan's tubeless a whirl, see how it works out.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Hhahaha, man tires are getting out of hand.. when you said lightweight freeride, I was thinking Michelin Hot S 2.1 - 630g. That's what I run, and can't be happier.

The Hot S 2.5 is not too far away at 850g. That will be a kickass setup.

Schwalbe King Jim 2.35 = 630g. Sidewalls probably similar to a Z-Max though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Only problem with the Hot S is the sidewalls are absolute crap. I mean, to the point of being rediculous.

And powderboy, shaddup :D : no hospital beds for me! :dead:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
WTB does do the Mutano and Nano raptors in 2.24 with the 'laser' DH casing...sub 1000g according to the ads. Gonna try some myself on my trailbike. Mutano looks like a good dry, hard conditions tire....certainly not a mud tire, that one.

MD

biketiger

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
in my house
IRC BACKCOUNTRY tires. I had a lot of luck with them. 640g for the kevlar. 690g for the steel. They come in 2.25. If you ever get the chance, they are worth it.

Just my opinion, of course.

Rob

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Of course, you can also find the old Tioga tires around cheap...another light alternative, but with sub-par DH flat protection (but grrrrrreat xc/trail/FR flat protection)