Quantcast

Like XXiX, but better?

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
I have been riding a medium XXiX for a few months now and I find the geometry to be PERFECT. I love that it is designed around a non-suspension corrected rigid (430mm - it's a 26" fork).

I'd like to upgrade to something a bit lighter and higher quality. Does anything exist with geometry around a 26" fork?

I did some looking but found nothing.

-Brian

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
Actually, the BB heigh on the vicious looks like it'd drop to about where the raleigh is with a 26" fork, but then the head angle would be too steep, I reckon.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
do you want a whole new bike or just a lighter fork?

If just the fork - what jncarpenter said. Get a White Brother Rock Solid or something similar for the front end. Check ebay for rigid forks as there are many White Brothers clones that are essentially the same fork for a lot less $$.

If it is a whole new bike - well then - you still might have to go custom. I'm not all that up to speed on the Raleigh's geometry numbers to tell you if a similar frame with higher grade tubing would work with a nonsuspension corrected or 26" rigid fork - but there might be a frame or two out there that would work out fine set up like this.

Cheers,

Mark

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
Thanx for the advice Mark.

I may look into custom.

XXiX is a heavy frame. Plus it seems to be weak. I warped the chainstays last weekend mid-turn. They just flexed out of shape on me. It was weird. I'm looking into warranty.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If going custom - have a look see at www.stoiccycles.com - he's a relatively new builder on the scene but he seems to be doing really nice work at affordable prices and you might not have to wait for ages to get a frame built by him. Just a thought.

This appears to be a non suspension corrected 29er from him:

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
Hey Mark,

You don't happen to know what the shortest fork that can run a 29er, do you? Say 2.3" tire.

Shortest I've found is the 440mm 26" On-One carbon fork. Shorter would be nice.

-Brian

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I believe I fit a 2.3 Exiwolf in a Dimension Disc (Surly 1x1 clone) fork. Clerance wasn't super but it was okay. I betcha you'd be golden with using a Salsa Cromoto rigid fork.