Quantcast

LIVE THREAD: Sea Otter Classic 2010!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's that time of the year, pro riders form around the world are descending on california for some last minute training before heading on into Monterey and the Laguna Seca Raceway for the 2010 Sea Otter Classic, the traditional kick off to the MTB season for the last 10 or so years.

This year is already showing record numbers of registrations, so expect a great event!

RM will have live coverage all week including photos, event recaps and some video content as available.

Bring on the new season!

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Doesn't record number of registrants equal "the suk" for the "registrants"?

Seriously, Sea Otter lost is luster for me as a racer about '04. Ungodly amounts of money to fight lines everywhere on a DH course 1/2 as good as my local trails... no thanks.

As of '05 I just started going to party (and poach... shhhhh:brows:), much more fun this way!

Jan 20, 2008
Santa Rosa
Seriously, Sea Otter lost is luster for me as a racer about '04. Ungodly amounts of money to fight lines everywhere on a DH course 1/2 as good as my local trails... no thanks.

As of '05 I just started going to party (and poach... shhhhh:brows:), much more fun this way!

$85 to stand in a fat line and get one run. No more. Time to Party! and Im bringing the GF this year to show her how awesome biking is. :thumb:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Let's just hope they double the number of shuttle trucks this year.

Oh, nevermind. We've been hoping for that for the last 15 years.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm over Sea Slaughter. I can't complain about sandbaggers in my class since that would be impossible but it's too much money to race people who are way faster and on a course that is not even fun!

Saving my money this time and not going. Instead I've already got a hotel in Port Angeles for the first Pro GRT :D

Good luck and have fun to those who are going. I've had my fun there over the years but it's just not fun anymore.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
So...anyone see the slightly downhill course yet? Any changes? Did the mountain, er hill, grow any? Is the massive one-rock rock garden still there? Any more poorly designed jumps to pedal around this year?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Taken from somewhere...

Wild Bill has completed the DH course - faster is the theme. Upper jump section tweaked a bit and all jumps totally groomed - some backsides extended and lips improved means bigger air and faster. Getting backside on big single to table in reach of mere mortals. Berm before big table reworked with fresh dirt. After the big table - now a straight shot towards first single track slight up but with two jumps now at pretty high speed - can literally coast up that single track to the chicane before the log drop! Would not suggest if you want to podium but saves the legs in practice and/or not the burner it has been in race runs. Liked the double into small berm and hop over the whole 3 rocks on the course of year's past - but I must say the straight shot with the jumps at high speed are very fun. The first (new) is not lippy - clearing 30ft to natural roller back side but the second is lippy and overjumping a challenge - but the speed you now carry up is so welcome!

New dirt added on the log drop landing. Freeway section kept rough / very choppy - a blast at high speed. Rutted and now loose steep section a bit more challenging but ends in reworked lower berm and section to hip at paved road. Hip lip increased but bigger backside also (basically the same)...jump from pavement modfied -taller but less lip - we were gapping literally 45-50ft with butter landing (so fun). Carry so much speed that popping the booter at the top of the down is almost unavoidable when pinning. Rest of course same except no crossing creek - finish line on archery side now. Fast times will be sub 2 minutes.
I would not mind seeing some photos of it.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
After the big table - now a straight shot towards first single track slight up but with two jumps now at pretty high speed - can literally coast up that single track to the chicane before the log drop! Would not suggest if you want to podium but saves the legs in practice and/or not the burner it has been in race runs.

----------

You just made my day. That section was enough to make an old man cry. I was beginning to have doubts about my race Sunday since I was seeing stars after that section the last time I raced. Hey, if you can't train then the next best thing is to have to course modified to your benefit.

I figured Bill or someone would have had something posted by now. It's great to hear there is more speed and better jumps.