Quantcast

LiveStrong: I bet this isn't just happening in Rochester...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A guy here at work was, with the best of intentions, selling them for $3 - $1 that went to the Foundation (since he bought the bands from them), and $2 to support a local athletic club (which he was up front about in the sign above the box of wristbands).

Someone left him a very nice note explaining that it was in very poor form, and possibly illegal, to be profiting off the Live Strong bands. I have not seen them out there since.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
binary visions said:
Someone left him a very nice note explaining that it was in very poor form, and possibly illegal, to be profiting off the Live Strong bands. I have not seen them out there since.
poor form, yes. illegal? probably not.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
poor form, yes. illegal? probably not.
Well, as I said, the person worded it as "possibly" illegal. I did a little poking online an saw nothing to indicate that it was illegal but I also didn't devote enough time to it to come up with a definitive answer.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
From livestrong.org FAQ section:

Can I resell yellow wristbands?
Live Strong™ wristbands may NOT be resold. They are not packaged for resale. There are significant state fundraising registration laws and tax and non-profit accounting issues that prevent their legal re-sell.

I have seen them priced from $1 on up - how much are they?
Live Strong™ wristbands sell for $1 plus sales tax. Sales tax must be charged and collected by local governments because the wristband is classified as merchandise. Official retailers of Live Strong™ wristbands may sell wristbands for $1 ONLY and not in combination with any other store promotion or policy. Abuse of this policy should be reported to the LAF.

Where does the money go from the sale of the yellow wristbands?
All proceeds earned from the sale of Live Strong™ wristbands will benefit the LAF. Proceeds may NOT benefit any other organization or private enterprise.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
binary visions said:
From livestrong.org FAQ section:

Can I resell yellow wristbands?
Live Strong™ wristbands may NOT be resold. They are not packaged for resale. There are significant state fundraising registration laws and tax and non-profit accounting issues that prevent their legal re-sell.
guess they're pretty easy going about that given their popularity on ebay. i'm sure it's complicated by the fact that the guy wasn't profitting at all.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
SkaredShtles said:
I *still* haven't seen one.......... :think:

-S.S.-
Dang boy. You aren't very observant are you? I've had one on since Christmas. You were just over at my house a week ago..... :monkey:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I was at the grocery store the other day and saw colored bands that look just like those being sold for cancer in the 25 cent candy dispenser thingy. they didn't say anything like "livestrong" on them, but you can't read that from across the room anyways so they would be great for the trendy people.......

haha, 25 cents.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
yeah and pink for breast cancer. And the Arnold Classic in Columbus is handing blue ones out this year that say "I'll be back". They're everywhere.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
You can lie, cheat, steal, even smoke crack at the bus stop but for some reason they dont want you riding bikes............. Aint Rochester grand!

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Wow, that is just sad. There are plenty of other ways to make money, so why take it from a chairitable cause? Damn people...

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
To be honest, I'm sick of seeing the things.

Good cause and all yes, but now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and you have different color band for everything imaginable.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
That basketball star Labron James (is that right?) even has some out.
They're black and say "LaBron" on them. Since when does he need help?

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Spitfired said:
That basketball star Labron James (is that right?) even has some out.
They're black and say "LaBron" on them. Since when does he need help?
He's probably geting funds together to fight those inevitable charges we all know he'll eventualy face. Good Lawyers are expensive these days

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think some people are under the impression that the LAF invented these plastic wristbands. They were out long before LiveSTRONG, but obviously the "Wear Yellow" campaign has been a little more successful than any others.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I wear one that is black and says "Live Wrong" with the exact same font.. Courtesy of some friend from AZ who found that in his local shop.

I love it since I HATE the hype surrounding this things. They are everywhere here. (I don't like Lance either but that's an other debate ;) )