Quantcast

Look a5.1

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Anyone with any experience with these pedals. I took my eggbeaters off of my xc bike for my roadie. Now I'm looking to get pedals for my roadie so I can get my xc bike back up and running. Never-ending viscous cycle....

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I use look pedals not sure which ones but they where the Jalabert Model, they all use the same cleats and have about the same features. Anyhow I really like them with the big/cleat you feel much more connected then with an off road cleat. Although walking is a major pain in the ass.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
cuz I'm poor, i bought Performance's Look-compatible Ti/Mg pedal for ~$60. While it (Look and Look-compatible) has relieved pressure on my foot and is more comfortable while riding then the SPDs I had before, I'm concerned about popping out when I stand and sprint... happens on the upstroke. Since I do that rarely, I just don't do it anymore.

I don't know about the a5.1, just giving my thumbs-up to the style. When I get the money, I'll buy the Campy Chorus version (per SM's suggestion).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
LordOpie said:
I'm concerned about popping out when I stand and sprint... happens on the upstroke. Since I do that rarely, I just don't do it anymore.
You know that is pretty bad... you need the ability to stand and hammer all the time. It helps to develope muslces that are underworked during prolonged sit and spin sessions. Maybe you have the retainer set too loose? Or slightly misaligned cleats? This should not happen on any pedal... :confused:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
You know that is pretty bad... you need the ability to stand and hammer all the time. It helps to develope muslces that are underworked during prolonged sit and spin sessions. Maybe you have the retainer set too loose? Or slightly misaligned cleats? This should not happen on any pedal... :confused:
my bad temporary fix is to just not pull hard on the upstroke. Yes, I know I should fix it, take it back to the shop, something.

I do have the tension (same thing as retainer?) set pretty tight. Whatcha mean by misalinged cleat? The cleats seem to be in a pretty good position,

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I had bottom of the Look pedals without adjustment before and never even remotely had that problem, my new ones have a tension setting. Sounds like they had poor mfg tolerances or somethign is definitely wrong on the performance version.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I was talking to the shop owner and he said the differences in models of the looks are marginal. Mostly weight and slight adjustability differences. I wound up buying a closeout pair of pp357s. They are surprisingly light. I will mount them up tonight and do a review once I get some miles on them. I can already tell I'll like the bigger platform.